Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #136
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know this is not a recent post. But I'm going to answer this. I've seen a problem just like this on my 650 and I did manage to solve the problem.

The problem was the encoding of the files. You'll need to make sure your CSS is encoded as UFT-8 without BOM. If that's needed to be done, I check all the other files as well just in case. I used Notepad++ for Windows to do this.
When it comes to the font naming on Kobo devices, I seem to remember a Kobo person posting that there were issues with Qt and font files which made it difficult to check the font name and style embedded in the font file. Their answer was the exact font file naming convention which removed the need to inspect the font file to obtain that information.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #137
bethany7
Enthusiast
bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi,

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am having some issues with getting the fonts to change. I have downloaded a selection from the sticky in this forum, have my folder named "fonts" etc. The fonts show up, but when I change to them, I see no difference. I can successfully change to any of the built in fonts, which makes me think that there are not embedded fonts in the ePub files (I have tried a number of them). I have not edited any of the font names from what was provided in the sticky's files. I am really confused! Any help would be hugely appreciated!

EDIT - Never mind, fixed itself after a restart!

Thanks,
Bethany

Last edited by bethany7; 02-04-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Fixed
bethany7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #138
jclim00
Nameless Being

Attachment 101087
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany7 View Post
Hi,

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am having some issues with getting the fonts to change. I have downloaded a selection from the sticky in this forum, have my folder named "fonts" etc. The fonts show up, but when I change to them, I see no difference. I can successfully change to any of the built in fonts, which makes me think that there are not embedded fonts in the ePub files (I have tried a number of them). I have not edited any of the font names from what was provided in the sticky's files. I am really confused! Any help would be hugely appreciated!

EDIT - Never mind, fixed itself after a restart!

Thanks,
Bethany
Yeah, I've found that you have to restart every time you add new fonts.

I've modified (slightly weighter) versions of these fonts, they all look great at smaller sizes maybe with the exception of Chaparral, it's got a pretty small x-height.

Chaparral Pro
ITC Stone Informal Std
Minion Pro
Sabon LT Std
FF Clifford Nine
FF Tisa Pro

FF Tisa is my favorite at the moment, it's similar to PMN Caecilia but slightly narrower and with letters a bit more spaced. Very pleasant to read with.

All fonts are properly renamed, just drop it in your fonts folder.

edit: I've removed the fonts for now.

Last edited by jclim00; 02-12-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #139
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclim00 View Post
Yeah, I've found that you have to restart every time you add new fonts.

I've modified (slightly weighter) versions of these fonts, they all look great at smaller sizes maybe with the exception of Chaparral, it's got a pretty small x-height.

Chaparral Pro
ITC Stone Informal Std
Minion Pro
Sabon LT Std
FF Clifford Nine
FF Tisa Pro

FF Tisa is my favorite at the moment, it's similar to PMN Caecilia but slightly narrower and with letters a bit more spaced. Very pleasant to read with.

*URL Removed*

All fonts are properly renamed, just drop it in your fonts folder.
Don't mean to criticize; your fonts look great, I'm just curious what the forum's stance is on sharing commercial fonts. FF Tisa Pro is by no means a cheap font, so I'd like to know what the moderator's stance is for these sorts of things.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #140
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
Don't mean to criticize; your fonts look great, I'm just curious what the forum's stance is on sharing commercial fonts. FF Tisa Pro is by no means a cheap font, so I'd like to know what the moderator's stance is for these sorts of things.
Looking at the forum's policy in other threads I'm afraid these fonts will have to be removed.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #141
jclim00
Nameless Being

Ah, sorry, I was assuming it's kosher since quite a few fonts posted here obviously aren't free, but I'll take them down if it isn't allowed.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #142
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclim00 View Post
Ah, sorry, I was assuming it's kosher since quite a few fonts posted here obviously aren't free, but I'll take them down if it isn't allowed.
Hold on, as long as no moderator intervenes, I think you should leave them. Evidently, it's up to you, but if there are other copyrighted fonts around here (I hadn't noticed, but then I don't check) there's no reason for you to be more legally minded than the others.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #143
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
@polly7: I made you a heavier Garamond and Goudy. I'm not able to view them on the Glo myself at this moment, so it's a bit of a gamble. Especially the Goudy may still be too light. Couldn't find a BoldItalic for either font on my PC.
I think the naming is according to what the Kobo needs.
Tried on the Kobo Glo. Thanks very much, it seems you stroke the perfect balance for the e-ink scren, not too light, not too heavy. Great job!
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #144
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
(In between migraines) I've been reading through various threads here in the Kobo forum regarding adding fonts to Kobo e-ink devices and I think I understand how to do it but most references I see are to the Touch and the Glo; is it the same for the Aura HD? I don't want to try till I know for sure; my headaches are bad enough without adding another one!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #145
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The majority of features are the same for all current Kobo readers. In fact the Glo / Mini / Touch 905C and Aura use the same f/w, with a few differences in the look and feel (the Glo and Aura have the same home menu, while the Mini and Touch have the older home menu)!

So yes, the font tips are applicable to the Aura.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #146
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The majority of features are the same for all current Kobo readers. In fact the Glo / Mini / Touch 905C and Aura use the same f/w, with a few differences in the look and feel (the Glo and Aura have the same home menu, while the Mini and Touch have the older home menu)!

So yes, the font tips are applicable to the Aura.
Thank you!

Once I downloaded 7-Zip to open the .rar file for the font I wanted (Fontin to go alongside the Fontin_Sans I already have) from the "Summary of Modified Fonts" thread and figured out how to get it to my laptop it was a piece of cake. I may even try a few other fonts that look interesting!

Hmmmm.....I wonder if this can be done on my Sony T1...... ......maybe it's time to scour the Sony forum and see.....
Old 08-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #147
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
Thank you!

Once I downloaded 7-Zip to open the .rar file for the font I wanted (Fontin to go alongside the Fontin_Sans I already have) from the "Summary of Modified Fonts" thread and figured out how to get it to my laptop it was a piece of cake. I may even try a few other fonts that look interesting!

Hmmmm.....I wonder if this can be done on my Sony T1...... ......maybe it's time to scour the Sony forum and see.....
No, not without rooting. And that is one of the reason I sold my T1.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #148
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
Thank you!

You might find this PRST1 wiki of interest.

No rooting is required but you do need to apply a hack to the T1. It allows you to change some/all of the selectable fonts in the Font menu to your chosen sideloaded ones - plus some other nice features and bug fixes too, e.g. finer control over font size, bold/italics bug fix.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #149
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Interesting! I added JuneReader last year to get the clock; didn't know I could use it to add/change fonts. Looks like a bit more detailed work; I'll give it all a good read through, see if I comprehend it all. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You might find this PRST1 wiki of interest.

No rooting is required but you do need to apply a hack to the T1. It allows you to change some/all of the selectable fonts in the Font menu to your chosen sideloaded ones - plus some other nice features and bug fixes too, e.g. finer control over font size, bold/italics bug fix.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:53 PM   #150
mattington
mattington began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 6"
Removing fonts

This thread seems a bit old, but this seems like the right place to ask...

Is there any way to _remove_ system fonts from the Aura 6"? I'll never use the Dyslexie fonts included on my device, they just take up room in the font selection menu.

Cheers, and thanks for the work in fattening fonts and uploading them here - even though it was done years ago people (me!) are still stumbling on them and finding them useful.
mattington is offline   Reply With Quote