Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
pwright2
Connoisseur
pwright2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Touch Landscape with 5.1.0?

So, I have had a Touch since it came out. I installed a couple of the jailbreaks to get Landscape. When they worked they were great but sometimes it would landscape and sometimes not. When I heard that 5.1.0 would have landscape, I was joyous. When 5.1.0 became available, I downloaded it. It would not install. I got error .006. I went through the process with Customer Support a couple of times. Finally they said they would send me a new one. Hard to complain about that.

So, now I have 5.1.0. And landscape is not available in the browser. Which is where it is most often needed. Annoying.

I know you want me to search but mostly what I get is discussions of what I had done before and complaints about what works and doesn't.

Simply, is there a way to enable landscape mode in the web browser under 5.1.0? (See, I even used a question mark.)

You guys are doing wonderful stuff. It's just hard to find/filter/translate.

-----Paul-----
pwright2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright2 View Post
So, I have had a Touch since it came out. I installed a couple of the jailbreaks to get Landscape. When they worked they were great but sometimes it would landscape and sometimes not. When I heard that 5.1.0 would have landscape, I was joyous. When 5.1.0 became available, I downloaded it. It would not install. I got error .006. I went through the process with Customer Support a couple of times. Finally they said they would send me a new one. Hard to complain about that.

So, now I have 5.1.0. And landscape is not available in the browser. Which is where it is most often needed. Annoying.

I know you want me to search but mostly what I get is discussions of what I had done before and complaints about what works and doesn't.

Simply, is there a way to enable landscape mode in the web browser under 5.1.0? (See, I even used a question mark.)

You guys are doing wonderful stuff. It's just hard to find/filter/translate.

-----Paul-----
There is so much, I cannot even find stuff that I wrote. The search engine will only show my first 500 posts. And once threads fall a few pages down the list, they are hard to find.

At least we got the "simple debricking" thread into a sticky, and the first post points to some other resources. The best thing is to click the links in the "successful debricking reports" and see how they fixed their problems.

The most reliable way to debrick is to use fastboot to flash an old matching diags kernel and diags partition that has ssh preinstalled. Then use that diags to flash the main partition using "dd". Then use fastboot to flash the main kernel matching the partition. After it all works again, then you can to any firmware upgrades.

Beware that 5.1.0 comes in many "flavors" now, and some of them are reported to remove SSH from your kindle. This is all being sorted out by ixtab and NiLuJe and others. Most hacks work on 5.0.4 and earlier. Putting them on 5.1.0 can be risky, or they may only partially work. Or they may brick your kindle. If I wanted to use a bunch of hacks, I would install 5.0.0, then upgrade to 5.0.4.

But regarding landscape mode, you are stuck with what amazon provides, until hacks come out to make it work better...

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-19-2012 at 03:09 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
It could be done! Read this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...52&postcount=6

You can find out how to run it from the address bar (bookmarklets could be the solution) or wait for Amazon to fix it in the next firmware...
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a fast question:
I tried to write:
Code:
javascript:alert("hello")
in the kindle browser address bar but it says that only HTTP and HTTPS are supported.

Does it mean bookmaklets are now useless in 5.1.0?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
Does it mean bookmaklets are now useless in 5.1.0?
No, bookmarklets work for 5.1.0 too. You have to change navigator.js, please find your answer in this thread. For example, I have LastPass and Diigo bookmarklet.

Edit: Your quick question is off-topic but I answered it anyways (I normally don't)!
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
silver18
THE NOOB

Thanks a lot!!
It wasn't so off-topic!! If you can use bookmarklets, than you should be able to run:

Code:
javascript:kindle.dev.setOrientation("landscape");
to change the orientation, and that's what pwright2 asked!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
dlcmdrx
dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.dlcmdrx is less competitive than you.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch
hi total newbie kindle touch user... can anyone forward me to a nice tutorial on how to use this bookmarklets thing? Also can you guys confirm you cant download with the touch any pdfs from web browsing??

Its a pitty there is no Landscape mode integrated into the web browser, im actually having a nice time frum browsing in the touch.Some forums can be well read in normal mode, but others require landscape for total comfort.

cheers

Last edited by dlcmdrx; 07-17-2012 at 03:57 PM.
dlcmdrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, landscape, touch