Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Question Which ereaders have PDF reflow ?

This is a general sort of question...

History:
I had an early Jetbook which I'd hoped to get the FW into which had the nice Foxit PDF reflow feature, but it became a brick instead.
(I forget which FW version had it, but it sounded great !)

Anyhow, now that readers are whole generations beyond that time I wonder if folks might chime in and say which ones also reflow the text in PDF files so others like me (who have a bazillion PDFs of text-only files) might have an easier time of choosing which reader would work best for them ?

Thanks !
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sonys and Pocketbooks.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The E-book Reader Matrix has a PDF Capabilities row. Look for "Single Page Reflow", which is what mobile ADE supports (at the vendor's option).

If your PDFs are similar to each other, I also suggest trying Calibre's PDF to ePub (say) conversion. You would probably have to fiddle with it initially, but it has the advantage of doing full document reflow and you may be able to do batch conversion once the PDF options are customized for your PDFs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Question looks like I need to ask better questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
...mobile ADE...
I seriously prefer to avoid any variations of DRM as none of my text-only files are infested with that disease and Adobeware is centered on that stuff AFAIK.

I also prefer to avoid any extra conversions.
If I wanted to spend time at that I have good software that merrily does batch conversions from PDF directly to TXT or even RTF which would eliminate my desire for a PDF reflow capable ereader.

Perhaps my query was TOO general and what I ought to ask here is...:

Are there any readers besides the specific JB version and the Foxit eslick which use the Foxit software for PDFs (because it was reputed to have a wonderful reflow capability) ?

Thanks !
Old 04-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hi!

I don't know about Foxit, but the enTourage eDGe has PDF reflow. It is supposed to be one of the best readers for PDF, according to the community of eDGe users. I can't say from my own experience: I read mostly ePubs. But I've tried the PDF reflow, and it seems okay to me!

Good luck!

If you're interested in a more expert opinion on the eDGe, check the forum here on MobileRead and the one at http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Holy Bridge Supports Batman !!!
That enTourage eDGe family is ALOT more than mere ereaders - more like dual-screened mini-PCs.
(And for what they cost they'd BETTER be really, really, really good at LOTS of things !)
Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
PocketBooks do have a PDF reflow... but I don't recommend reading a lot of PDF on screens smaller than 9.7"....
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallhagrid View Post
Holy Bridge Supports Batman !!!
That enTourage eDGe family is ALOT more than mere ereaders - more like dual-screened mini-PCs.
(And for what they cost they'd BETTER be really, really, really good at LOTS of things !)
Old 04-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallhagrid View Post
Are there any readers besides the specific JB version and the Foxit eslick which use the Foxit software for PDFs (because it was reputed to have a wonderful reflow capability) ?
So far as I know, Foxit has completely dropped out of the ereader market, for both hardware and software. Even if it was significantly better than mobile ADE for PDFs, its software still could not compete because vendors needed ADE anyway for Adobe ePubs.

You can try mobile ADE on your PDFs via Sony Reader Library (Windows or Mac). It emulates a generic (Sony Reader like) device with a 600x800 screen. So it is good for testing an ebook (ePub or PDF) targeted to reading devices. It would be an even better test bed if it allowed a rotated landscape view, although PDF reflow does not need this particularly. Not all ebook devices with mobile ADE support PDF reflow (Amazon and Bookeen do not), but when they do the capabilities should be very similar because they are all using the same reflow engine.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Interesting. Thanks.
9.7" and ADE or bust, Aye ?
Looks more and more all the time like the best reader for PDFs is just a tablet PC to which one adds their own choice of s/w...

I knew Foxit got out of this field, but thought there may have been others besides those I mentioned with Foxit's goodies on them.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #11
Filark

Maybe that eDGe isn't looking so extreme now, eh?? 9.7", ADE . . . .
Old 04-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Onyx also has reflow. Really Foxits PDF support on its reader was no better than PocketBooks or Onyx's.

PocketBook's reflow also now is able to reflow "most" of the pictures in a pdf. Everyone else loses all pictures.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foxit, pdf, reflow