Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 12-08-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
vaindioux
vaindioux began at the beginning.

Device: Zire 31
How to read .pdf or .chm files ?

Hi

I just installed Sunrise on my desktop and plucker on my Zire 31. I have tried some websites and it's working fine.
How do I use the same pair to read .pdf or .chm files that are currently on my hard drive?

Thanks a lot

Patrick
Old 12-09-2005, 02:24 AM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Not possible.
Advert
Old 12-09-2005, 05:53 PM   #3
vaindioux

Hi

Ok so is there another reader for these type of files (.chm .pdf) ?
What about regular text files? Can I use sunrise/plucker for these?

Thanks

Patrick
Old 12-10-2005, 03:42 AM   #4
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

PalmPDF

I don't know any CHM reader for Palm, but there are tools for unpacking CHM to HTML files. You can then use Sunrise to convert those.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:35 PM   #5
Dick Tracy
Detective
Dick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Palm TX
PalmPDF (beta freeware) can read native pdf files. So can Documents to Go 8 premium.
Advert
Old 12-10-2005, 03:41 PM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Repligo is quite good for pdf files, but you need to print to a file first.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:34 AM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaindioux
Hi

I just installed Sunrise on my desktop and plucker on my Zire 31. I have tried some websites and it's working fine.
How do I use the same pair to read .pdf or .chm files that are currently on my hard drive?
Perhaps not directly, but there are various tools which allow you to transform PDF and CHM into HTML, from which you can use Sunrise. CHM is nothing but HTML embedded in a container, so the transformation works very well for it. PDF leaves much to be desires for, especially when you have to deal with multi-column documents.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:43 PM   #8
vaindioux

Hi

Woww, very happy with all the feedback I am getting on my question. Can anyone suggest a freebie in particular do transform these .CHM files into HTML ones?

Thanks again to all

Patrick
Old 12-12-2005, 04:00 AM   #9
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
CHM2HTML works great, I've been using it for years to transform CHM content to HTML. Shareware. Mobile-only version is sufficient for your needs, costs $14.95.

Alternative, do a search on Google
Old 12-12-2005, 07:02 AM   #10
Laurens
Jah Blessed

KeyTools lets you extract contents of a CHM to a directory. Very easy to use and freeware.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:57 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
KeyTools lets you extract contents of a CHM to a directory. Very easy to use and freeware.
Nice find, thank you Laurens!!
Old 12-12-2005, 08:49 PM   #12
vaindioux

I'll go with Laurens freebie.

Thanks again to all

Patrick
Old 04-26-2008, 05:15 AM   #13
shajul
shajul began at the beginning.

Wink Convert CHM files to iSilo PDB Reader format

Just go here, download the software and convert to PDB (iSilo) files and read!

Description by publisher:

Convert CHM files to iSilo PDB Reader format

Convert CHM to PDB - Read all your CHM files/e-books on your handheld PDA
Let me present to you a small program that i have made..

After searching through the net for a reader for CHM files, i was frustrated.
So i have compiled a program that will convert your CHM files to iSilo PDB, so that they can be easily read with iSilo PDB reader!

The user interface is very simple, infact you just have to point towards the source file and the destination folder!!

Any suggestions / comments are welcome.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:24 AM   #14
Mgilbride
Mgilbride began at the beginning.

Though this thread appears to be dead, I wanted to point out that it is now possible to convert PDFs to HTML (Not sure if that was not an option when this thread started but I doubt it). This is awesome with Sunrise and plucker as the docs are so much more readable. You can batch process pdfs with a third party tool or use adobe acrobat professional. I have yet to come up with a good free alternative but I'm looking. I did see reference to a conversion process that converts pdf to html to plucker in one shot. I was getting sick of dorking around with pdf articles and resources on Palm. Now it's not an issue.

Workflow:
1.) Batch convert pdfs to html
2.) Convert the htmls to plucker with sunrisexp.

Last edited by Mgilbride; 06-22-2008 at 03:26 AM. Reason: to add info I forgot to put in