Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #31
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Good way of thinking.

I could use your credit card as a coaster while you aren't using it.

Or brains could be used to do computing tasks for university networks while their owners aren't using them. Those that aren't up to the task could perhaps serve as props in zombie films.
There was a science fiction story (I think by Asimov but I'm not sure) where people had taken to using computers to do math for so long that writing math equations out had become a lost art. One of the characters rediscovers the 'art' and his superiors (in the government) conceive of all manner of things including having people contained within warheads who would guide the weapons to their targets.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:54 AM   #32
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
There was a science fiction story (I think by Asimov but I'm not sure) where people had taken to using computers to do math for so long that writing math equations out had become a lost art. One of the characters rediscovers the 'art' and his superiors (in the government) conceive of all manner of things including having people contained within warheads who would guide the weapons to their targets.
Dune by Frank Herbert is considered to a degree to be an inversion of sorts of some of Asimov's writings. There is a backstory which really isn't explained much where society had become over reliant on computers. As a result, there was the Butlerian Jihad where thinking machines were destroyed and a decree was made that thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of the a human mind. Different great schools were developed in part to help guide society which now has to stand without the use of thinking machines. Mentats are essentially human computers which can outperform anything the ancient prohibited computers could produce. Another school is the Spacing Guild which reminded me of the example you gave in Asimov's writings. The Guild have certain individuals called Navigators who have ingested so much spice they mutated in order to guide space ships safely through fold space.

Last edited by Ricky D'Angelo; 11-03-2019 at 12:57 AM.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #33
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Good way of thinking.

I could use your credit card as a coaster while you aren't using it.

Or brains could be used to do computing tasks for university networks while their owners aren't using them. Those that aren't up to the task could perhaps serve as props in zombie films.
While you're at if you like riding bicycles and are in need of a bicycle reflector simply place some reflector tape on the back of your ereader and attach with velcro to bicycle. Once you safely arrive at the park, or whatever your destination is, simple detach the device from your bike and proceed to read.

Last edited by Ricky D'Angelo; 11-03-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #34
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
Dune by Frank Herbert is considered to a degree to be an inversion of sorts of some of Asimov's writings. There is a backstory which really isn't explained much where society had become over reliant on computers. As a result, there was the Butlerian Jihad where thinking machines were destroyed and a decree was made that thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of the a human mind. Different great schools were developed in part to help guide society which now has to stand without the use of thinking machines. Mentats are essentially human computers which can outperform anything the ancient prohibited computers could produce. Another school is the Spacing Guild which reminded me of the example you gave in Asimov's writings. The Guild have certain individuals called Navigators who have ingested so much spice they mutated in order to guide space ships safely through fold space.
You forgot the Bene Geserate sisterhood.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #35
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
You forgot the Bene Geserate sisterhood.
True, but they didn't necessarily replace machines likes mentats or guild navigators did. The Bene Gesserit tried to guide humanity mainly through politics and controlling bloodlines. Both Asimov and Herbert wrote about similar themes but I found Herbert's approach far more interesting.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:17 AM   #36
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Arthur C Clark is another sci-fi author that I've read and found not to be my cup of tea. After watching 2001: A Space Odyssey I felt obligated to read the book. So chances are I won't re-read Arthur C. Clark's 2001 or Asimov's Foundations. However, Frank Herbert's Dune series have been re-read multiple times along with the audiobooks. Anyone else have books that have been re-read multiple times?
Old 11-09-2019, 10:32 PM   #37
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Arthur C Clark is another sci-fi author that I've read and found not to be my cup of tea. After watching 2001: A Space Odyssey I felt obligated to read the book. So chances are I won't re-read Arthur C. Clark's 2001 or Asimov's Foundations. However, Frank Herbert's Dune series have been re-read multiple times along with the audiobooks. Anyone else have books that have been re-read multiple times?
All the Pern books by Anne McCaffrey. Many times. Also Horseclans books by Robert Adams.

The Deryni books by Katherine Kurtz

Last edited by Gardenman; 11-14-2019 at 01:07 AM.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:56 AM   #38
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Arthur C. Clarke's "The Sands of Mars." Edmund Hamilton's "City at World's End."
Old 11-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #39
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Many. Including The City and the Stars by Arthur Clarke, one of my all-time favorites (didn't like 2001). Also The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, for example. The Goblin Reservation by Clifford Simak. A sci-fi duology by an Estonian author that has not been translated into any other language, AFAIK. And there are many others. Not Dune, though. Read it once and felt like meh.

Last edited by Sirtel; 11-11-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:10 AM   #40
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Many. Including The City and the Stars by Arthur Clarke, one of my all-time favorites (didn't like 2001). Also The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, for example. The Goblin Reservation by Clifford Simak. A sci-fi duology by an Estonian author that has not been translated into any other language, AFAIK. And there are many others. Not Dune, though. Read it once and felt like meh.
I had that reaction to "The Valley of Horses" by Jean Auel. I got so far in it and the story bogged down with info. about the geology etc. of the area where the story was set. Ayla was out running around somewhere but she got pushed to the side by the mega size info dump.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:14 AM   #41
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
No idea how often I read my Asterix, Lucky Luke and Donald Duck comic books and my MAD Magazines as a kid.

Later, I haven't read so many books repeatedly. Catcher in the Rye every ten years or so. It's very interesting how differently I think of Holden Caulfield each time.
Some Pratchetts, especially the ones where Death has a leading role.
Just recently I re-read Michael Chabon's Gentlemen of the Road, and I'm pretty sure this hasn't been the last time. Great fun. Then there is, in German, Fritz Mühlenweg's In geheimer Mission durch die Wüste Gobi, (Big Tiger and Christian), one of the greatest all-age adventure novels ever written.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #42
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
The whole Vorkosigan series, by Lois McMaster Bujold. I only discovered them in 2010 or 12 ish, but have already read the series twice. I ran into a reference recently and now feel it's time for another read.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:48 PM   #43
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
The whole Vorkosigan series, by Lois McMaster Bujold. I only discovered them in 2010 or 12 ish, but have already read the series twice. I ran into a reference recently and now feel it's time for another read.
Yeah, I'm certainly going to reread the Vorkosigan series too... some day...
It was really good. Well, except for the books written after Civil Campaign. Those, not so much. But up until then it's excellent.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #44
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah, I'm certainly going to reread the Vorkosigan series too... some day...
It was really good. Well, except for the books written after Civil Campaign. Those, not so much. But up until then it's excellent.
Cryoburn. Death of a major character. Announced in ONE word.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #45
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

This may seem like an obvious point however civilization as we know could not have developed without a system of written transmission of knowledge from one generation to the next. There was probably a few nomadic cultures in existence not so long ago who may not have fully utilized writing but passed on their cultural heritage through oral tradition, cultural artificats or the medium of language itself. In ancient Egypt it's probable the majority of the population were illiterate (if such a term could apply) however via the medium of monuments cultural information could be passed down many generations. Perhaps only an elite priestly caste understood fully the system of symbolic written encoding of information. The breakthrough of a formal use of writing to easily transmit knowledge from one generation to the next cannot be underestimated.