Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-19-2019, 07:11 PM   #1
mtreader
Connoisseur
mtreader began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Nova 2, Kobo Clara
Qs on using "Send to Pocketbook" & text-to-speech

I'm considering buying the Inkpad 3 Pro. Much of my reading is articles from online news sources, which I send to my Kobo Clara reader with Send to Pocket. It works great and I want this functionality. Does Send to Pocketbook provide this functionality?

Also, can anyone tell me their impressions of the text to speech tool on Pocketbook? I'd love to be able to catch up on "reading" while giving my eyes a break. Thanks!
mtreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:37 AM   #2
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Yes, if they are in a supported file format. Or are they RSS feeds?
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #3
mtreader
Connoisseur

How Pocket works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykke View Post
Yes, if they are in a supported file format. Or are they RSS feeds?
The Pocket browser extension lets you simply click a button to save an article to read later -- automatically loading it to your e-reader and keeping a list you can access via a web browser. It's worked with every web page I've tried thus far.

It's a brilliant tool and don't want to go without it or a comparable tool now that I've learned it: https://getpocket.com/add/?ep=1
Old 11-21-2019, 04:47 AM   #4
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I can't find an official Send-to-Pocket feature for Pocketbook, and I couldn't find a third-party service either.

The Send-to-Pocketbook feature creates an email address (in the format myname@pbsync.com) and when you send files to this address they will be downloaded to your Pocketbook device. The file you send needs to be in one of these file formats:

EPUB DRM, EPUB, PDF DRM, PDF, FB2, FB2.ZIP, TXT, DJVU, HTM, HTML, DOC, DOCX, RTF, CHM, TCR, PRC (MOBI) and four graphical formats — JPEG, BMP, PNG, TIFF

So you could use a browser extension to convert the articles saved in Pocket to one of those formats. A bit of a hassle, I guess.

I see that Pocket supports RSS feeds, and so does Pocketbook. You can add a Pocket RSS feed to the Pocketbook and the links to the webpages you save will be delivered to the device, where you will be able to open them in the in-built browser.

You can also sync files to the device with the service Pocketbook Sync, and you can also connect your Dropbox account.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:33 AM   #5
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
You can use:
https://epub.press/ (Browserextension)
with the email created by the Send-to-Pocketbook feature.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #6
mtreader
Connoisseur

Thanks Lykke, nhedgehog, thanks for the info & suggestions. I like everything else about the Inkpad 3 Pro, but will likely choose an Android-based device (Likebook Mars looks reasonable) to be able to use Pocket as the alternatives look cumbersome.

If anyone can suggest another sub-$300 device with audio, Pocket capability and a ~8" screen, I welcome recs.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #7
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
It's not that cumbersome to send articles to your Pocketbook. I use the Fivefilters.org browser extension for Firefox. When I have an article I want to send, I just click on the icon in my toolbar, wait for the sending page to load and click send. The email address stays in the address field, once you enter it.
AFAIK, Pocketbook uses IVONA TTS. You can hear examples here: https://nextup.com/ivona/
For TTS to work the books have to be opened with the original Pocketbook software reader. (KOreader and Coolreader can also be installed but don't have TTS.)
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:02 AM   #8
Lykke
Groupie

I think the selling point with Pocket is that it removes all the clutter on a webpage. But this is such a basic thing that if other services don't provide this, I'd be astonished. Anyway, bit fragile in my opinion to choose a device based on the support of a single service that could be discontinued any time.

Thanks for the tip, LucyOne. I'll check it out. I assume it's this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/and...don/kindle-it/
Old 11-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
mtreader
Connoisseur

Pocket's biggest virtues for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykke View Post
I think the selling point with Pocket is that it removes all the clutter on a webpage.[/url]
While that's a nice feature, the huge benefit for me is ease and efficiency: all you need to do is save an article is click the Pocket icon on browser OR right click on any url -- you don't even need to open the article -- to Save to Pocket and have it automatically appear on your ereader as well as an RSS/ web page collecting all your saved articles.

The right-click option also exists when reading an article containing other links within the ereader, which is awesome (at least it works this way on my Kobo -- hopefully on Android, too.) I'll often save several other linked articles to Pocket from within Kobo when researching, so that's a big deal for me.

If anyone knows of other apps that work like that, please share!
Old 11-23-2019, 04:55 AM   #10
Lykke
Groupie

I have searched far and wide for a third-party app that can provide Pocket integration, but there doesn't seem to be one.

Really, a good option in my opinion is to use Pocketbook Cloud service. Then you can 1. Use one of the numerous browser extensions to generate an EPUB of a website and 2. Send it to the Pocketbook app (for android and iOS, not for desktop), which has the feature of auto-syncing everything you add to it. Then 3. Connect to Wi-Fi on the Pocketbook and open the EPUB that has been auto-delivered. 4. Long - press the URL you want to look at later, mark it, and hit the Sync button in the top menu. 5. Open the EPUB in the Pocketbook app on your phone and view its annotations. There you will be able to see and open the URL!

It's really the exact functionality you described in the above post, with just the extra step of generating an EPUB file. If you really really need Pocket, then just go for an Android device or Kobo or Kindle.

Last edited by Lykke; 11-23-2019 at 05:02 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #11
mtreader
Connoisseur

Thanks again, Lykke -- I'll learn more about the Pocketbook Cloud service.

I assume Kobo has no plans to offer a reader with audio, but if anyone has heard otherwise...