Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-09-2024, 11:04 PM   #1
Shucking5230
Shucking5230 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Unhappy Jailbroken Kindle PW4 received a silent update

I have a Kindle Paperwhite 4/10th Gen. I had jailbroken my device 2 years ago just the fun of it, installed KUAL but never really used it until recently. I have been an on and off reader and recently got really fond of the KOreader.

I always keep airplane mode on to not receive updates, however upon trying out the Calibre connect plugin, I didn't turn airplane mode back on and ended up receiving a firmware update.

I want the KOreader experience back. I searched for a fix for this here, haven't come across an answer.

I read somewhere I need to reinstall MKK. Not sure how exactly to do that. I am specifically having trouble with which .bin file I need to use.

I also read something about rebooting the device after an update like this. The word "jailbreak" was at the loading screen. Not sure if that info helps.
Shucking5230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 03:46 AM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
0) do 2 more reboots / restarts of your Kindle.

1) On your computer: Download the hotfix: link

2) extract the archive and copy the bin file to root (= top level) of Kindle drive. Eject the Kindle Drive

3) Go into Kindle settings and use "Update Your Kindle" option ( Menu > Settings > Menu > Update Your Kindle) to install the hotfix bin.

4) if that installer doesn't error out all is good and you still have functional jailbreak. Do 2 more reboots once that hotfix bin installs successfully.

5) Now download and reinstall KUAL: link

Extract the installer into mrpackages folder on your Kindle drive. Eject.
Type ";log mrpi" (without quotes) into search bar and press the arrow icon on the right side to execute the search.
MRPI installer should start and install KUAL and then reboot.

6) Once you've reinstalled KUAL test using it to start KOReader.

7) exit out of KOReader.

8) Now you should use "OTA renamer" KUAL extension to block future firmware updates so that your can freely use WiFi when using KOReader.

Download the extension here: link

Extract the archive into "extensions" folder on your Kindle drive. Eject.
On Kindle open KUAL > open "OTA renamer" or whatever exact name the extension is using > choose the "rename" button. Kindle should reboot after couple of seconds.

Edit: it just occurred to me that your Kindle has probably updated to a firmware newer than 5.16.2? If that is the case in order for you to be able to use KUAL and KOReader you must downgrade your firmware to firmware 5.16.2 by using "RUNME.sh" variant of downgrader + " ;log runme" search bar command (since you don't have working KUAL to use the actual Downgrader 2.0 KUAL extension).
Before using that RUNME.sh script you must first edit it to use the correct version code value for you Kindle model (find that info by either reading linked Downloader 2.0 forum thread or by opening the menu.json file of that extension in a text editor and finding the value it used for PW4).

So in summary: reinstall jailbreak hotfix > downgrade firmware back to fw 5.16.2.x > reinstall the hotfix AGAIN > reinstall KUAL > use OTA Renamer extension to block firmware OTA updates.

Last edited by shamanNS; 05-10-2024 at 04:12 AM.
shamanNS is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2024, 05:48 AM   #3
Shucking5230

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
0) do 2 more reboots / restarts of your Kindle.

1) On your computer: Download the hotfix: link

2) extract the archive and copy the bin file to root (= top level) of Kindle drive. Eject the Kindle Drive

3) Go into Kindle settings and use "Update Your Kindle" option ( Menu > Settings > Menu > Update Your Kindle) to install the hotfix bin.

4) if that installer doesn't error out all is good and you still have functional jailbreak. Do 2 more reboots once that hotfix bin installs successfully.

5) Now download and reinstall KUAL: link

Extract the installer into mrpackages folder on your Kindle drive. Eject.
Type ";log mrpi" (without quotes) into search bar and press the arrow icon on the right side to execute the search.
MRPI installer should start and install KUAL and then reboot.

6) Once you've reinstalled KUAL test using it to start KOReader.

7) exit out of KOReader.

8) Now you should use "OTA renamer" KUAL extension to block future firmware updates so that your can freely use WiFi when using KOReader.

Download the extension here: link

Extract the archive into "extensions" folder on your Kindle drive. Eject.
On Kindle open KUAL > open "OTA renamer" or whatever exact name the extension is using > choose the "rename" button. Kindle should reboot after couple of seconds.

Edit: it just occurred to me that your Kindle has probably updated to a firmware newer than 5.16.2? If that is the case in order for you to be able to use KUAL and KOReader you must downgrade your firmware to firmware 5.16.2 by using "RUNME.sh" variant of downgrader + " ;log runme" search bar command (since you don't have working KUAL to use the actual Downgrader 2.0 KUAL extension).
Before using that RUNME.sh script you must first edit it to use the correct version code value for you Kindle model (find that info by either reading linked Downloader 2.0 forum thread or by opening the menu.json file of that extension in a text editor and finding the value it used for PW4).

So in summary: reinstall jailbreak hotfix > downgrade firmware back to fw 5.16.2.x > reinstall the hotfix AGAIN > reinstall KUAL > use OTA Renamer extension to block firmware OTA updates.
I get an error trying to install the hotfix unfortunately? would that mean I wont be able to use KOreader again?
Old 05-10-2024, 10:56 AM   #4
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then the only thing left for you to try is this "emergency" workflow:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=525

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=11

Last edited by shamanNS; 05-10-2024 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-11-2024, 01:48 AM   #5
Shucking5230

Talking

Quote:
Then the only thing left for you to try is this "emergency" workflow:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=525

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=11
I installed the 4 "emergency" files, no errors. You will have to forgive me since I am unfamiliar with this, the official .bin is something I download from amazon? Which one do you suggest I go with?
Advert
Old 05-11-2024, 02:33 AM   #6
Shucking5230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shucking5230 View Post
I installed the 4 "emergency" files, no errors.
Also the files have disappeared, which means it worked, I believe. The value that needs to be changed is by default set to the one I am running. Other values:

Kindle Paperwhite (11th Generation) - 378310
Kindle Oasis (10th Generation) - 355615
Kindle (10th Generation) - 352856
Kindle Paperwhite (10th Generation) - 336034
Kindle Oasis (9th Generation) - 325069
Kindle (8th Generation) -298743
Kindle Oasis (8th Generation) - 288285
Kindle Paperwhite (7th Generation) - 263413
Kindle Voyage (7th Generation) - 244367
Kindle (7th Generation) - 244369
Kindle Paperwhite (6th Generation) - 206145

Also is using .bin files from softpedia recommended?
My Web Browser doesnt seem to be working either unfortunately.

Last edited by Shucking5230; 05-11-2024 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-11-2024, 03:34 AM   #7
Shucking5230

also in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=525, it is mentioned to factory reset. I read that its not a good idea on a jailbroken device.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:22 AM   #8
shamanNS
Guru

No offence but you really need to read at least the first comment of Downgrader 2.0 thread and in general understand what exactly you are doing and why you're doing that.

Like why you need to change that "version" file and why each Kindle model has its own build value.
And that there are 3 different ways of changing that were mentioned thus far:

1) The "normal" one : running Downgrader 2.0 KUAL extension. Not a possibility for you since you don't have working KUAL.

2) using " ;log runme" to run any arbitrary shell code. @Marek used that to modify the version file in order do be able to downgrade firmware.

I'm not clear (since you didn't write clearly and in details) what things you did or didn't try, thus don't know if " ;log mrpi" and/or " ;log runme" search bar commands are working on your device at this moment in time.

So try both and let us know.

3) emergency thing is meant to try and restore "jailbreak bridge" system of scripts and commands, when some are broken by a firmware update.

As a bonus you're instructed to edit that script file in order to make it also do that version file edits in order to enable you to later do a firmware downgrade.
If you can't use " ;log runme" then this is the last remaining possibility to run a shell script.

If emergency things is successful in restoring jailbreak bridge things after it is run you should have both ";log mrpi" and " ;log runme" functioning again.

Do you have version.txt.backup file visible on your Kindle drive when you connect Kindle to your computer?

In order to use KUAL and KOReader you must have a firmware that is not 5.16.3 or newer (so the cutoff firmware version is 5.16.2.1.1). That is why you need do downgrade back to 5.16.2.1.1 (and to downgrade you need functioning jailbreak and ability to run scripts and shell code, because you need that to modify that version.txt file).

So, after doing the emergency stuff do 2 mode reboot. Then test if ";log mrpi" command works or not.

Then download the official firmware binary for your PW4 from Amazon servers, no need for SoftPedia, here is the link:

Code:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredownloads/update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_v2_5.16.2.1.1.bin
By doing the rest of downgrade procedure (you already took care of modifying the version.txt, now copy the bin to Kindle drive and do the rest as instructed), IIRC you need to force a device reboot without ejecting and unplugging the USB cable from your computer?

If you manage to downgrade to firmware 5.16.2.1.1 do couple more reboots and then try to install the hotfix bin using "Update Your Kindle" option.

Last edited by shamanNS; 05-11-2024 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:40 AM   #9
Shucking5230

Quote:
I'm not clear (since you didn't write clearly and in details) what things you did or didn't try, thus don't know if " ;log mrpi" and/or " ;log runme" search bar commands are working on your device at this moment in time.

So try both and let us know.
" ;log mrpi" and/or " ;log runme" doesn't seem to be doing anything. I could be doing something wrong.

Quote:
Do you have version.txt.backup file visible on your Kindle drive when you connect Kindle to your computer?
Yes I do!

Quote:
IIRC you need to force a device reboot without ejecting and unplugging the USB cable from your computer?
I didnt get this part.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:41 AM   #10
shamanNS
Guru

I'm not sure if I remember things correctly but I think if you just copy the old firmware bin and disconnect from computer that Kindle will delete that bin file straight away?

So in order to avoid that issues you don't disconnect your Kindle from your computer after you've copied the 5.16.2.1.1. bin file instead while Kindle is still USB connected you press and hold Kindle's power button for 30-40 seconds and that will force a reboot, and on reboot Kindle should start the firmware update procedure... and that will hopefully install successfully.
You should unplug the USB cable when you've triggered a reboot by holding power button.

Last edited by shamanNS; 05-11-2024 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:51 AM   #11
shamanNS
Guru

;log commands should be typed without quotation marks (I'm just using quotations in order to indicate what text constitutes a single command) , and after typing that text you need to execute the search by taping the arrow? icon on the right end of search bar.

So, commands are:

Code:
;log mrpi
(you used that in the past to install KUAL, and you'll have to is again for that, if you manage to fully restore the jailbreak stuff)

and

Code:
;log runme
(this is used to run any code that you put into "RUNME.sh" script that you put into root level of Kindle drive... you could for example use it to start KOReader without using KUAL)

Last edited by shamanNS; 05-11-2024 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:15 AM   #12
Shucking5230

Unhappy

Quote:
I'm not sure if I remember things correctly but I think if you just copy the old firmware bin and disconnect from computer that Kindle will delete that bin file straight away?
I was able to downgrade and use ;log mrpi on the new firmware without any issues. However, I am now stuck in the loading screen while trying to install NiLuJe's K5 JailBreak Hotfix via ;log mrpi.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:32 AM   #13
shamanNS
Guru

Hotfix package should be installed via "Update Your Kindle", not with MRPI.

Are you still stuck on boot animation? Is your Kindle constantly restarting??
Man, you have to give more information if you want someone to be able to help you. I'm not psychic nor am I there looking over your shoulder.

If you now connect your Kindle to your computer does the Kindle drive get exported or not?

Did you confirm that Kindle is now on firmware 5.16.2.1.1, before you tried installing hotfix via MRPI?

Last edited by shamanNS; 05-11-2024 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-11-2024, 10:52 AM   #14
Shucking5230

Quote:
Hotfix package should be installed via "Update Your Kindle", not with MRPI.

Are you still stuck on boot animation? Is your Kindle constantly restarting??
Man, you have to give more information if you want someone to be able to help you. I'm not psychic nor me I there looking over your shoulder.

If you now connect your Kindle to your computer does the Kindle drive get exported or not?

Did you confirm that Kindle is now on firmware 5.16.2.1.1, before you tried installing hotfix via MRPI?
Apologies for my shortcomings. And really appreciate the help!
No its just stuck. The wallpaper dropped on the loading screen and I tried to turn it back on and now it stuck there wallpaper doesn't drop anymore. The backlight doesn't turn on either. Kindle connects to PC like it usually did, no issues there.
I confirmed that Kindle is now running firmware 5.16.2.1.1 and also rechecked each time after the 2 reboots.

I was getting a Error:2 when installing the Hotfix package and upon rereading this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=11 I realized they used ;log mrpi to install.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:00 AM   #15
Shucking5230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shucking5230 View Post
Apologies for my shortcomings. And really appreciate the help!
The wallpaper dropped on the loading screen and I tried to turn it back on and now it stuck there wallpaper doesn't drop anymore.
Wallpaper dropped a second time when left untouched.

Tags
downgrade firmware, firmware downgrade