Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-31-2018, 02:58 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think I'll just stick with the regular micro USB cables. Maybe as I get older and more senile I'll have trouble with them, but at this point I'm not having any issues.
Or at the very least, buy a cable where the micro-end is the only one with a reversible/universal connector.

I, myself, don't really see much advantage in the USB-A end being able to be plugged in either way. That's not the fiddly end of such a cable in my opinion.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:32 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
That doesn't help much unless you also know which way the socket is facing.
At night I just flip the cable the other way if one direction doesn't work.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:07 PM   #18
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
That doesn't help much unless you also know which way the socket is facing.
In all but a very few cases the socket on devices is fitted rounded corners up, so top of plug faces top of device, easy to remember. There are a very few exceptions, the only ones I have come across are some small footprint portable USB drives but no doubt one may come across others.

Like most devices one owns, if one has one of these exceptions it is easy (well for me) to tell their top from bottom in the dark, and as they are the rare exceptions to also remember the connector is fitted the "wrong" way.

If one cannot remember any of that then, as rcentros has said, just turn the plug or the device over and try again. USB connectors are designed so that unless the intention is that they are reversible, then it is very difficult to accidently insert them in the incorrect orientation; they have to be severely abused to do so. If one has the correct orientation then they fit easily.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:15 AM   #19
jeffery
Enthusiast
jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by edent View Post
Are there any Eink devices which charge using USB-C?

For some reason, I'm not finding any! I just want to use the same charger as my phone and not have worry about dongles or adapters ��
I know it's an adapter, but it's what I went with. I have it hung onto my usb-c cable and just slip it on when I need to charge my reader. I like it this way since the c-type chargers tend to have more oomph than the older chargers. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FMZWK1J/

Click image for larger version

Name:	user277699_pic7852_1536311605.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	166116

Last edited by issybird; 09-07-2018 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Oversize image thumbnailed; affiliate link changed.
jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffery View Post
I know it's an adapter, but it's what I went with. I have it hung onto my usb-c cable and just slip it on when I need to charge my reader. I like it this way since the c-type chargers tend to have more oomph than the older chargers.
And what portable devices such as a Reader or phone can charge faster with USB-C than micro-USB? None that I know of.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #21
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Affiliate links are not permitted at MobileRead.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #22
jeffery
Enthusiast
jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeffery ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And what portable devices such as a Reader or phone can charge faster with USB-C than micro-USB? None that I know of.
JSWOLF is correct, the type of connection doesn't matter here which is why the adapter works just fine. What really matters is that the newer USB-C chargers tend to be USB-PD or power delivery chargers capable of delivering 60 watts of power vs the typical micro-usb charger at 2.5 watts.

All devices will charge to their maximum ability IF the power is available.

If you connect a device capable of charging at 15w which is 5v@3a and you connect it to a wall wart capable of delivering 2.5w (5v@500ma, a typical charger), your device will charge but at a much slower rate.
When we speak of charging watts we are talking maximums, it varies depending not only on your devices charging circuitry but on the level of charge, specific cell engineering, cell temperatures, and more.

Connect that same device to a wart capable of delivering up to 60w (100w is coming soon) and you will not charge at 60w. But, you will reach the devices 15w charge rate. Going over 15w requires a device to be compliant with USB-PD specifications allowing the voltages to go higher than 5v. I don't know of any readers that do this yet.

You phone will likely be able to use its maximum charge rate though, and all you have carried is one charger.

Pro Tip: For longer battery lifetime don't wait till your device is out of juice to charge it. more frequent, shorter charges are better for the health of the batteries. Despite the point of this conversation, gentler charge cycles ARE better for your batteries. charging from 60% to 90% as needed will keep your e-reader and any other li-ion powered device operating for much longer without failed batteries than fewer 0% to 100% charges.

(I am skipping the protection circuitry and chemistry issues, and charge profiles here for simplicity, the percentages are just what one sees on the screen)
Old 09-07-2018, 01:33 PM   #23
jeffery
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Affiliate links are not permitted at MobileRead.
could not find that rule anywhere
Old 09-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffery View Post
could not find that rule anywhere
Check this thread: IMPORTANT: Affiliate links are now prohibited at MobileRead.

I would suggest this should be added into the Guidelines. I remembered this post and had to search to find it.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-07-2018 at 04:42 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #25
jeffery
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Check this thread: IMPORTANT: Affiliate links are now prohibited at MobileRead.

I would suggest this should be added into the Guidelines. I remembered this post and had to search to find it.
Thanks you. even searching for it I was unable to locate it.