Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #16
mxbndr
Grateful Plebe
mxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Libra H2O
One other thing comes to mind: is it possible to change the default landing screen from "Home" to "My Books" when powering on? This one is far less important, but it would be an improvement.
mxbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #17
mxbndr
Grateful Plebe
mxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavensmxbndr is a rising star in the heavens

Anyone have any ideas? Could I, for instance, add something to nickel.yaml that looks something like the following?

Code:
Remove My Books (row2) on home screen:
  - Enabled: yes
  - PatchGroup: Home screen visibility tweaks
  - FindZlib: "#row1col2"
  - ReplaceZlib:
      Find:    "#row1col2 {\n  qproperty-visible: false;\n}"
      Replace: "#row1col2 {\n  qproperty-visible: false;\n}\n#row2 {\n  qproperty-visible: false;\n}"
Advert
Old 12-12-2020, 02:49 PM   #18
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbndr View Post
Anyone have any ideas? Could I, for instance, add something to nickel.yaml that looks something like the following?

Code:
Remove My Books (row2) on home screen:
  - ReplaceZlib:
      Replace: "#row1col2 {\n  qproperty-visible: false;\n}\n#row2 {\n  qproperty-visible: false;\n}"
I don't see any reason why that shouldn't work. Why not just try it and see.

One thing I would add is that if you wanted to remove both #row2 and #row3 then I wouldn't use 2 separate patches. I'd customise your personal patch above to remove both #row2 and #row3 in one hit.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:33 PM   #19
mxbndr
Grateful Plebe

Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm wondering, is there documentation for how to target things in Kobo files? For instance, I can infer from

Code:
that there is a grid with at least 2 columns, and from

Code:
that the grid also has at least 3 rows. Is everything I've been requesting in "#row1col2"? I am befuddled because I'm not sure why targeting the third row would be "#row1col2" but later in the file it reads "\n#row3". Does that mean all the row-targeting actually happens at "\n#row3"? E.g., "\n#row2"?

With that in mind, I'm also wondering what one patch would look like. Based on the above, I'm guessing something like

Code:
Remove footer (row3) and My Books (row2) on home screen:
  - ReplaceZlib:
      Replace: "#row1col2 {\n  qproperty-visible: false;\n}\n#row3 {\n  qproperty-visible: false;\n}"
I'm happy to mess around and see what works, I'm just curious if there is documentation.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2020, 07:30 PM   #20
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I'm wondering, is there documentation for how to target things in Kobo files?
If you want to examine the CSS streams in nickel you need @geek1011's cssextract executable (e.g. cssextract-windows.exe is the one for Windows). He used to distribute it in every release of kobopatch_xxx.zip but doesn't anymore. See here for more detail if you're interested. It may still on his GitHub website but I'm not sure exactly where it's stored. Once you've got it, all you do is pull out the nickel file from the relevant kobo firmware zip file and drop it onto the executable. It creates a single text file containing the CSS streams which you can examine at your leisure.

Quote:
For instance, I can infer from
Code:
that there is a grid with at least 2 columns, and from

Code:
The Home screen has a header (time and icons), a footer (4 Nav buttons) and between them is a 3x2 grid. What is in each "cell" can vary a bit, especially if you check the More>Beta Features>Large Print Mode box.
row1col1 & col2: Recent books
row2col1: MyBooks "tile" (recently duplicated in MyBooks navbutton)
row2col2: a variable "tile" usually showing books from one of your Collections or one of your Authors.
row3col1: link to Kobo store (recently duplicated in Discover navbutton)
row3col2: a random item from a select list of "useful (maybe) things". There are kobopatches to force this to something you might actually use.

Quote:
With that in mind, I'm also wondering what one patch would look like.
Try
Code:
  - ReplaceZlib:
      Replace: "#row1col2 {\n  qproperty-visible: false;\n}\n#row2, #row3 {\n  qproperty-visible: false;\n}"
This is the whole contents for HomePageView.qss CSS resource in 4.25.15875 so you can get an idea what the existing Home screen patches are doing.:
Spoiler:
Code:
#mainContainer[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {
  qproperty-leftMargin: 32px;
}
#mainContainer[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {
  qproperty-leftMargin: 40px;
}
#mainContainer[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {
  qproperty-leftMargin: 57px;
}
#mainContainer[qApp_deviceIsStorm=true] {
  qproperty-leftMargin: 67px;
}
#mainContainer[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {
  qproperty-leftMargin: 74px;
}
  qproperty-rightMargin: 32px;
}
  qproperty-rightMargin: 40px;
}
  qproperty-rightMargin: 57px;
}
  qproperty-rightMargin: 67px;
}
  qproperty-rightMargin: 74px;
}
  qproperty-topMargin: 96;
  qproperty-spacing: 10;
}
  qproperty-topMargin: 126;
  qproperty-spacing: 14;
}
  qproperty-topMargin: 170;
  qproperty-spacing: 20;
}
  qproperty-topMargin: 192;
  qproperty-spacing: 23;
}
  qproperty-topMargin: 220;
  qproperty-spacing: 26;
}
#row1[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true],
#row2[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {
  max-height: 280px;
  min-height: 280px;
}
#row1[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true],
#row2[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {
  max-height: 346px;
  min-height: 346px;
}
#row1[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true],
#row2[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {
  max-height: 488px;
  min-height: 488px;
}
#row1[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true],
#row2[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {
  max-height: 634px;
  min-height: 634px;
}
#row1[qApp_deviceIsStorm=true],
#row2[qApp_deviceIsStorm=true] {
  max-height: 556px;
  min-height: 556px;
}
[qApp_isFontScaleLarge=true] #row1[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {
  max-height: 392px;
  min-height: 392px;
}
[qApp_isFontScaleLarge=true] #row1[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {
  max-height: 484px;
  min-height: 484px;
}
[qApp_isFontScaleLarge=true] #row1[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {
  max-height: 683px;
  min-height: 683px;
}
[qApp_isFontScaleLarge=true] #row1[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {
  max-height: 887px;
  min-height: 887px;
}
[qApp_isFontScaleLarge=true] #row1[qApp_deviceIsStorm=true] {
  max-height: 776px;
  min-height: 776px;
}
[qApp_isFontScaleLarge=true] #row2[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {
  max-height: 112px;
  min-height: 112px;
}
[qApp_isFontScaleLarge=true] #row2[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {
  max-height: 138px;
  min-height: 138px;
}
[qApp_isFontScaleLarge=true] #row2[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {
  max-height: 195px;
  min-height: 195px;
}
[qApp_isFontScaleLarge=true] #row2[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {
  max-height: 253px;
  min-height: 253px;
}
[qApp_isFontScaleLarge=true] #row2[qApp_deviceIsStorm=true] {
  max-height: 220px;
  min-height: 220px;
}
[qApp_isFontScaleLarge=true] #row1col2 {
  qproperty-visible: false;
}

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-12-2020 at 07:35 PM. Reason: added CSS
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2020, 07:36 PM   #21
mxbndr
Grateful Plebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
If you want to examine the CSS streams in nickel you need @geek1011's cssextract executable (e.g. cssextract-windows.exe is the one for Windows). He used to distribute it in every release of kobopatch_xxx.zip but doesn't anymore. See here for more detail if you're interested. It may still on his GitHub website but I'm not sure exactly where it's stored. Once you've got it, all you do is pull out the nickel file from the relevant kobo firmware zip file and drop it onto the executable. It creates a single text file containing the CSS streams which you can examine at your leisure.

The Home screen has a header (time and icons), a footer (4 Nav buttons) and between them is a 3x2 grid. What is in each "cell" can vary a bit, especially if you check the More>Beta Features>Large Print Mode box.
row1col1 & col2: Recent books
row2col1: MyBooks "tile" (recently duplicated in MyBooks navbutton)
row2col2: a variable "tile" usually showing books from one of your Collections or one of your Authors.
row3col1: link to Kobo store (recently duplicated in Discover navbutton)
row3col2: a random item from a select list of "useful (maybe) things". There are kobopatches to force this to something you might actually use.

Try
Code:
  - ReplaceZlib:
      Replace: "#row1col2 {\n  qproperty-visible: false;\n}\n#row2, #row3 {\n  qproperty-visible: false;\n}"
Thank you! I like how elegantly you combined hiding multiple rows. I did already accomplish what I was looking for via https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=674 but I appreciate your effort all the same! And I especially appreciate your taking the time to introduce me to the CSS and 3x2 grid.

Tags
homescreen, kobo, libra h2o, overdrive, patching