Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
niki11784
niki11784 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
New Kobo User- Help with Overdrive

Hi,

I got a kobo clara HD and so far I am very happy with it. I haven't been able to figure out how to read my overdrive/libby books on the Kobo. Can anyone give me specific instructions on how to do this?

I already have an overdrive account set up, with books on hold, and a book borrowed but I do not see where I can access my shelf on the Kobo.

I logged into Overdrive on the Kobo but the only option I see is 17 pages of books to browse on Overdrive. I dont see my shelf or borrowed book.

If anyone could help me here I'd very much appreciate it.

Thank you.
niki11784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
1. you have to sync kobo to your overdrive account ( once). go to overdrive on device and there should an option to do that. looks like you did that.
2. then any previously borrowed books should appear after you do a SYNC ( but only if the library book matches exactly a book on sale in kobo store. If it does not match it will never appear. There is no " shelf". you can also browse and select new book(s) - that should then download automatically
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
2. then any previously borrowed books should appear after you do a SYNC ( but only if the library book matches exactly a book on sale in kobo store. If it does not match it will never appear. There is no " shelf". you can also browse and select new book(s) - that should then download automatically
Sure there’s a shelf. The drop-down menu under Books has OverDrive, but only if you’ve got a current borrow on the device.

I think the mismatch issue tends to be vastly overstated. I borrow a lot of books from OverDrive and at most two have not downloaded to my Kobos.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
niki11784

Am I missing something? I pressed the drop down menu on the top left corner and the options are:
Home
My Books
My Collections
My Articles
Kobo Store
Recommended
Wishlist
Activity
Settings
Help

I borrowed a book last night and its not anywhere in any of the options.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:15 AM   #5
niki11784

I just checked the Kobo store and the book I borrowed is available there.

The place where I'd think the book would be is under the Kobo Store drop down option, there is: Overview, Wishlist and Overdrive.

When I click on the Overdrive tab, there is only pages of books they recommend in groups of topics, such as Harry Potter or MOthers Day. I don't see any place to search for a book in Overdrive there.

Last edited by niki11784; 05-08-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Advert
Old 05-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niki11784 View Post
Am I missing something? I pressed the drop down menu on the top left corner and the options are:
Home
My Books
My Collections
My Articles
Kobo Store
Recommended
Wishlist
Activity
Settings
Help

I borrowed a book last night and its not anywhere in any of the options.
Go to My Books. Click on the Filter under Books and the OverDrive choice will appear in the dropdown menu, if the book’s on the device.

If not, you can try to force it. Go to the Kobo Store option, click on your library and do a search on your book. If you can get it through Kobo, it will appear and you’ll be asked if you want to put a hold on it (because it’s checked out). Click yes, and you’ll get an error message, but then the book should show up.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Sure there’s a shelf. The drop-down menu under Books has OverDrive, but only if you’ve got a current borrow on the device.

I think the mismatch issue tends to be vastly overstated. I borrow a lot of books from OverDrive and at most two have not downloaded to my Kobos.
OK - yes there is a filter within books, not what I'd call a shelf as such . I have had 2 loans not appear because of mismatch, and several that worked OK

other books checked out with the overdrive app libby do appear, but if he checked out a book using ADE on PC then maybe not . That is not something I specifically tested when I got my Kobo.
most likely it's that or there is some other subtle mismatch between how that book got checked out and how overdrive on Kobo works. Overdrive on PC used to have multiple options e,g, use a library card & pin or use an overdrive email and password.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
niki11784

The book is definitely checked out on the Libby app and it does not appear anywhere on the kobo.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:44 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
OK - yes there is a filter within books, not what I'd call a shelf as such .
Great. So be pedantic instead of helpful and pointing the person to where the OD books actually show up. If they don’t use the term you approve, then the heck with them, eh?

Quote:
I have had 2 loans not appear because of mismatch, and several that worked OK

other books checked out with the overdrive app libby do appear, but if he checked out a book using ADE on PC then maybe not . That is not something I specifically tested when I got my Kobo.
most likely it's that or there is some other subtle mismatch between how that book got checked out and how overdrive on Kobo works. Overdrive on PC used to have multiple options e,g, use a library card & pin or use an overdrive email and password.
I don’t think you have to assume a fatal mismatch because the book doesn’t download on syncing. It’s worth trying to force it by going through the device when there’s been a “subtle mismatch” which I think is as good a term as any. Really, I’m talking about scores of books I’ve borrowed that I could download, and only two that did not. The incidence of non-downloadable books is a negligible percentage, in my experience. Granted, MMV especially according to the type of book.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:46 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by niki11784 View Post
The book is definitely checked out on the Libby app and it does not appear anywhere on the kobo.
OK, so try to force it as I suggested. It’s worked for me when there’s been an issue.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:56 AM   #11
niki11784

When I go to my library overdrive tab, under the kobo store- there is no search option at all. There is only 17 pages of groups of books to browse through, I do not see any search option at all.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #12
niki11784

UPDATE:
Ok! I found the search option for overdrive- you have to go to search BEFORE pressing on the overdrive tab. So now I see how to force the borrow by searching for the book and choosing to overdrive in search.

So now my main issue is syncing my libby/overdrive account to the kobo. I have books on a wait list through Libby but now I won't be able to borrow them since it is not synced.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #13
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Go to My Books. Click on the Filter under Books and the OverDrive choice will appear in the dropdown menu, if the book’s on the device.

If not, you can try to force it. Go to the Kobo Store option, click on your library and do a search on your book. If you can get it through Kobo, it will appear and you’ll be asked if you want to put a hold on it (because it’s checked out). Click yes, and you’ll get an error message, but then the book should show up.
Thanks for this info. I didn't know about this procedure. I've run into a number of books that wouldn't sync. I'll plan to try this next time.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #14
stumped
Wizard

Quote:

I don’t think you have to assume a fatal mismatch because the book doesn’t download on syncing. It’s worth trying to force it by going through the device when there’s been a “subtle mismatch” which I think is as good a term as any. ..
last time I had a fail, I also could see the book in Kobo store, but I read elsewhere that there has to be an exact match: same edition of the book- for it to work
if I get another instance I will look also at forcing it - was not aware of that option
you have used the system more that I have, can there also be a communication delay between library and kobo systems before sync happens

FYI when I said "no shelf" I meant there was no proper view of all your library activity i.e. of all your holds, like you get with libby or with overdrive on PC. Kobo also has an annoying habit of putting a preview of the book back onto the device after you return the book early and resync.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:53 PM   #15
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
last time I had a fail, I also could see the book in Kobo store, but I read elsewhere that there has to be an exact match: same edition of the book- for it to work
if I get another instance I will look also at forcing it - was not aware of that option
you have used the system more that I have, can there also be a communication delay between library and kobo systems before sync happens

FYI when I said "no shelf" I meant there was no proper view of all your library activity i.e. of all your holds, like you get with libby or with overdrive on PC. Kobo also has an annoying habit of putting a preview of the book back onto the device after you return the book early and resync.
Yes, I hate that returning preview, it adds another step for me to have to remove it. I've tried returning the book on another device and then removing it on the Kobo but the next time I sync the Kobo the preview appears and I have to remove it.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo clara hd, new user, overdrive