Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-24-2023, 09:17 PM   #1
willaful
Connoisseur
willaful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
Question weirdest Kobo/overdrive sync question ever?

(I have looked through the past threads for help.)

So, new Kobo Libra 2. I have multiple library cards with Overdrive. I originally signed into the one I use most often, but then decided to try and see if I could get all my library books on Kobo by signing into my Overdrive account instead

It worked, but with one tiny flaw... I'm now signed into my husband's account at the most used library. I have his books synced to my kobo and when I put a hold on a book from the kobo, it went to his account. The books I still have checked out from the main library are no longer available to me, just "previews."

We discovered his library account was using my email, so changed it to his, but it didn't help. Neither did deleting and re-adding the library to my Overdrive account. There seems to be no way to tell Overdrive which library card number to use, but from the website, it takes me to mine, not his. So I'm utterly baffled.

No problem with my libby account. I tried downloading the old Overdrive app to see if maybe something needing fixing there, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Any thoughts or is my only option to just log into the main account and forget about having all the books? Or I guess I can sideload them.
willaful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:33 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Your overdrive and Libby are the same account. I’ve ranted before about why on earth Overdrive would have kept the two running concurrently for so long but since they’ve stopped actually supporting overdrive I’ll spare it for this post.

My best advice would be to remove all cards from both Overdrive/Libby accounts (yours and your husbands). Remove overdrive from your kobo (you should be able to sign out in the accounts settings).

Add your cards to your overdrive/Libby account. Login to your overdrive/Libby account on your kobo (you can still select your most used library).
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:08 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I aksed about this elsewhere, But do your libraries still have a sign in with overdrive option. Mine don't. If I visit the library home page, in incognito or a different browser so it does not remember me, the only option is sign in with a card number.
I think overdrive logins are about to die
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:58 PM   #4
willaful
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post

My best advice would be to remove all cards from both Overdrive/Libby accounts (yours and your husbands). Remove overdrive from your kobo (you should be able to sign out in the accounts settings).
I honestly don't know how to do this. My husband's card is not in my Libby account on my phone and never has been AFAIK. There's no way I can find to input an actual card number on my overdrive account. It only lets me add or delete a library.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:03 PM   #5
willaful
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I aksed about this elsewhere, But do your libraries still have a sign in with overdrive option. Mine don't. If I visit the library home page, in incognito or a different browser so it does not remember me, the only option is sign in with a card number.
I think overdrive logins are about to die
My individual libraries don't, but I can sign into my Overdrive account on their website. Then if I search for a book there, it will show me its availability at my saved libraries.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:48 PM   #6
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
MGlitch's advice is the best. It really seems that you and your husband's accounts have been cross linked. Log into Overdrive.com and delete all your saved libraries (https://www.overdrive.com/account/libraries). Then log into the Libby app and remove all your cards. Tap on the middle icon (≡) at the bottom and then select "Manage Cards". On the individual cards, select "Actions", and "Remove Card". Once you've done all that, log out of Overdrive on your Kobo reader.

Have your husband do the same steps. Once you both have finished, then start adding cards back to Libby. When you log into Overdrive on your Kobo, use your Overdrive.com login. The library you first add to Libby will be your main library on your Kobo, I believe. Or it may be the one you select when first setting up Overdrive on your Kobo. It's been some time since I've done it, so I can't recall. Kobo may support multiple libraries through Libby, but on the actual reader, only the main library is linked to the Kobo store. I hope this helps.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 03:00 PM   #7
willaful
Connoisseur

Thanks, I appreciate your time and input.

Tags
kobo, overdrive, sync