Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
EbookNovice
Banned
EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Well written, easy books to read?

Hi all, I just got back into reading and want to begin with something easy to read.

Thanks!
EbookNovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
What genres? What interests you?

What you consider easy to read might not be the same as someone else's idea of easy to read. So, that's going to be difficult to gauge.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
What Susan said. Seriously, without some idea of what your interest are, and what level you read at, what's easy is difficult to decide. What I find easy to read would be fairly challenging for my brother, who isn't much of a reader. But what I find easy to read would be equally easy for my wife, but might well not be particularly interesting to her. I like science fiction, especially space opera like Balance of Trade, and she finds them completely uninteresting, no matter how well written. OTOH, sometimes I can "catch" her with one that's completely different and she likes it a lot (1632, for example.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
What Susan said. Seriously, without some idea of what your interest are, and what level you read at, what's easy is difficult to decide. What I find easy to read would be fairly challenging for my brother, who isn't much of a reader. But what I find easy to read would be equally easy for my wife, but might well not be particularly interesting to her. I like science fiction, especially space opera like Balance of Trade, and she finds them completely uninteresting, no matter how well written. OTOH, sometimes I can "catch" her with one that's completely different and she likes it a lot (1632, for example.
Next e-book fight: Flint vs Lee & Miller

Wait, I like both of them
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookNovice View Post
Hi all, I just got back into reading and want to begin with something easy to read.

Thanks!
War and Peace by Tolstoy, or Lord of the Rings by Tolkien, if you want a short story. Ulysses, by James Joyce, if you like weird stuff.

Sorry; couldn't resist But indeed, we do need a bit more information.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Next e-book fight: Flint vs Lee & Miller

Wait, I like both of them
As do I! And what I like about both is that they're quite well written (to keep the thread drift from getting too horrible.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Well written, 'easy' to read: Hemingway.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
Bertolt
Connoisseur
Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle K4, Kobo mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab
This one might suit:
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon.
I find it difficult to say much about it without revealing the plot. The vocabulary and story are quite easy to understand but it also works on a more sophisticated level. You can get it from Amazon or I think it's free as a PDF file online.
Bertolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Most Steinbeck books are easy to read (and they're all well written). I'd suggest Cannery Row as a starting point.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:36 AM   #10
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Easy to read and well written are not independent of each other. Some of the 'difficult books' cited as a joke above are actually fairly easy to read because they are well written. A book like War and Peace to me was an easy read. It's very well written. I've read some books that should have been simple, but had to scratch my head in places because they were poorly written.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #11
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
As has been said, it depends on your individual tastes and reading level.

Sometimes easy to read is not terribly well written, but still amusing if you can overlook the problems in grammar and such...

I think the current favorite, the Hunger Games trilogy, are well-written and easy to read.

I agree with Bilbo that Steinbeck is a good author-- Of Mice and Men is a personal favorite-- short and well written.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #12
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Just finished 'Ready Player One' by a guy called Cline. Very easy read and very original. Easily as good as 'The Hunger Games' (which I thought was very well written). They're going to make a movie of it.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
"Easy to read" is relative. Children and YA fiction aside, I'd say ... anything by Matt Brown for western, David Eddings for fantasy, Steve Berry for suspense/thriller, the Eagles series by Simon Scarrow for historical adventure fiction. None of these are "entry level" reading, but the language is easy to digest and the stories are entertaining. Nothing very demanding, just entertainment.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #14
EugeneGant
EugeneGant began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple
Anything by Richard Yates. Try his complete stories. Amazing.
EugeneGant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:57 AM   #15
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Take a look at Pearl Buck's The Good Earth. Must have read that one 4 or 5 times as a kid (starting at about age 10 or 11). Recently re-read it - and then recommended it to our Book Talk group here in France, where several of our non-native speaker members are looking for English language books that would be fairly easy to read for them.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote