Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-17-2020, 07:02 PM   #16
kayvon
kayvon began at the beginning.

Device: none
i sent you a note through your website. look forward to hearing from you. thank you.
kayvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:12 AM   #17
Alyssa Miranda
Connoisseur
Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle and Nook
Hearing that the craft of weaving a Persian rug is on the verge of extinction led me to refresh my memory on ancient Persia, now Iran, and look it up on Wikipedia, where I found it has an astonishingly rich history, dating back some 7,000 years (its empire at one point dominated almost half the world's population at the time). Clearly it would be a loss to see the knowledge behind the crafting of a cultural icon as historic as the Persian rug disappear. However, based on the discussion here, it doesn't appear that any form of ebook would be feasible for preserving the art, leaving a print book as the only practical alternative, presumably of the coffee table variety. Even here, a single volume may not be possible, as Hitch has pointed out, and may require breaking down the single volume into as many as 5 parts. As an alternative to an arbitrary division, if this route is chosen, consider having the volumes cover a specific phase in the evolution of the craft, or time periods, if there were such. In any event, good luck with bringing the project to fruition.

-Alyssa
Alyssa Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #18
Alyssa Miranda
Connoisseur
Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle and Nook
Post script: Another possibility could be geographic differences, if any.
Alyssa Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
You can't print it, Quoth. Not with POD, which uses perfect-bound. Perfect-bound has an around 800-page limitation--2"-ish. Greater than that and the binding fails. At the least, he'd be looking at 3 volumes, more likely 4-5.
I missed that aspect. Then it needs to be maybe 5 volumes. People then can buy the entire work in instalments.

But we'd agree it really needs paper?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:43 AM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I missed that aspect. Then it needs to be maybe 5 volumes. People then can buy the entire work in instalments.

But we'd agree it really needs paper?
I feel it needs a) paper, in 5 volumes and b) digital volumes as well.

That's my humble opinion and I'm stickin' to it. But, the OP has reached out to me away from MR, so....who knows? Maybe I'll change my mind.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:20 AM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
FYI, for those who come along later, the OP is currently investigating simply using Gumroad for a 5-part download (or more parts). If you ever buy packages on sites like MightyDeals, Creative Market, etc., it's commonplace for them to provide mulitple links for a single "product" download, so after some discussion, this seems like the best way forward for him.

I've asked him to update here in the future when he knows more.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:40 AM   #22
kayvon
kayvon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Final resolution

Hello. i am adding this note to close the loop on this discussion. after consulting with Hitch (Thank you for your generosity) i've come to the conclusion that what i have is not really an ebook. it is a book which is in an electronic format. the size and the format does not lend itself to an ereader. (fixed layout pdf, 2000 pages 350-400 megs.) i've decided to break up the 2000 pages into three different versions, here are the advantages:
1) it will make the size much more manageable for users
2) i am actually allowing users to buy parts that they may be really interested in which costs less or if they want it all, they'll pay more.

i still have not figured out how to discourage the free distribution of the pdf for those who tend to take liberties, if you know what i mean.
Many thanks to those who take the time to help others in need such as myself.
kayvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:13 AM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
You can't stop pirates. DRM doesn't work.
Industrial pirates even chop off the spine of a paper book and bulk feed with autosheet feed and sometimes add an un-proofed OCR layer.

For digital content it's possible to make a copy without DRM without removing DRM! Dark room, big screen, HD camera and timer to auto increment page and take photo. Even been done with touch screens and lego actuator. HD movies are even simpler. All streaming is easily copied.

DRM is more about Corporate ego and controlling customers (forcing multiple format purchases etc). It has no measurable impact on piracy.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:09 PM   #24
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
kayvon, thanks for the update. It sounds like an interesting project. Learning enough about PDF to use it effectively can be hard, but it is very good at what it does once you do learn. I wouldn't sweat the copy thing too much. A bit of emotional blackmail in the introduction won't hurt ("thank you for supporting me" sort of thing). And some philosophical acceptance can also be good: If you are popular enough for people to share copies then you will have done well. Beyond that, do your own research about DRM, discuss it with people you have reason to trust, and make your own choices as best fits your situation - trying to discuss it here will only start yet another extended argument at the extremes that have nothing to do with your project and your situation.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote