Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-30-2020, 11:13 PM   #1
BlindRobertBrown
BlindRobertBrown began at the beginning.

Device: None
Problems Seperating Paragraphs

Hey there!

I'm having a problem with converting Ebooks into Doc files. Whenever I do so, the paragraphs keep getting all squashed together. I looked into the settings, set it to placing a space between each paragrapph, turned it on, but it doesn't seem to work. So far it's only adding spacing after each chapter section and special sections that might come directly after the chapter title and subtitle. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
BlindRobertBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:40 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
See ==>> How to ask a question about conversion problems

What is 'squished together'? Do you mean there are no blank lines between paragraphs or that paragraphs run on - so that there is only one paragraph per chapter/section?

White space, as in extra blank lines, tabs etc, are an anathema in ebooks and well formed WP documents - use margins/line spacing.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-31-2020 at 12:44 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:17 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Line spaces between paragraphs is not good formatting. It's lazy harder to read formatting.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:59 PM   #4
BlindRobertBrown

Maybe not but I'm not looking to read them on an Ebook reader. I'm looking to convert them into word documents to read on my computer as well as seperate chapters in parts. Especially when the books are textbooks or non fiction books. I have a couple of programs I'm working on studying and it's easier for me to have seperate chapters laid out easy to find and read at my own pace.

Plus, I'm mostly blind and use a screen reader. Finding some way to put spacing and the like between paragraphs would make things easier or better for me.

As for what's going on and what I mean by squished is that there are no seperation between paragraphs and sometimes they end up being ran together. This second one especially happens when I'm trying to convert a glossery from a book.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:36 PM   #5
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindRobertBrown View Post
Maybe not but I'm not looking to read them on an Ebook reader. I'm looking to convert them into word documents to read on my computer as well as seperate chapters in parts. Especially when the books are textbooks or non fiction books. I have a couple of programs I'm working on studying and it's easier for me to have seperate chapters laid out easy to find and read at my own pace.

Plus, I'm mostly blind and use a screen reader. Finding some way to put spacing and the like between paragraphs would make things easier or better for me.

As for what's going on and what I mean by squished is that there are no seperation between paragraphs and sometimes they end up being ran together. This second one especially happens when I'm trying to convert a glossery from a book.
If you're willing to edit an ebook you could try doing a global search and replace and change all start paragraph tags and prepend <p><br/><p> so that they all start with <p><br/></p><p> But that's a pretty big sledge hammer for a small problem.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:25 PM   #6
BlindRobertBrown

Yeah, that does seem a little much for what I'm trying to do. I just find it weird that the setting in Calibur didn't do it when I tried setting it to spacing between paragraphs. Weird.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:41 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've not looked at a word document created by calibre but I wonder if it could be as simple as just changing the word stylesheet used by the resulting file to change it's paragraph styling to include paragraph spacing?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:35 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've not looked at a word document created by calibre but I wonder if it could be as simple as just changing the word stylesheet used by the resulting file to change it's paragraph styling to include paragraph spacing?

@BlindRobertBrown - you probably only need to change Word's Normal style paragraph settings to something like :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-01 202730.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	176833

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-01-2020 at 04:39 AM. Reason: wrong image
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion problems, doc, ebook, paragraphs, spacing