Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #61
cronot
cronot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cronot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cronot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 10th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryol View Post
Unfortunately with those firmware versions you're out of luck.

Since now it's possible to jailbreak all the models >= 5.12.x, I'd be surprised if people over the Block OTA by removing ota related binaries thread wouldn't find a way to make it work for the new versions soon.

Edit: About downgrading, I'm not sure. I've never had to downgrade before.
The OTA blocking method over at that thread works fine on my KT4 @ 5.12.4. And given the rationale behind it, I can't see why it wouldn't work on later firmware versions, barring some internal consistency check made by the FW to restore OTA daemons tô working order, or additional binaries / daemons added for OTA on later versions.
cronot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:11 PM   #62
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast
tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (jailbroken)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronot View Post
The OTA blocking method over at that thread works fine on my KT4 @ 5.12.4. And given the rationale behind it, I can't see why it wouldn't work on later firmware versions, barring some internal consistency check made by the FW to restore OTA daemons tô working order, or additional binaries / daemons added for OTA on later versions.
I also have the OTA daemons renamed but I'm still hesitant on turning off airplane mode. Until it's more widely tested I don't want to recommend it to anybody personally. After a month of work to jailbreak my KOA3, I don't think I could handle if it all just went away for not being careful.
tryol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2021, 08:16 PM   #63
cronot
cronot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cronot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cronot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 10th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryol View Post
I also have the OTA daemons renamed but I'm still hesitant on turning off airplane mode. Until it's more widely tested I don't want to recommend it to anybody personally. After a month of work to jailbreak my KOA3, I don't think I could handle if it all just went away for not being careful.
It may not sound like it on that other thread, but I did some extensive(ish) tests. I've been leaving the wi-fi on my kindle on all the time ever since. From time to time I pull up an ssh session and check out /mnt/us, and no update file ever showed up. Looks pretty solid to me.
cronot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:22 PM   #64
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast
tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tryol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronot View Post
It may not sound like it on that other thread, but I did some extensive(ish) tests. I've been leaving the wi-fi on my kindle on all the time ever since. From time to time I pull up an ssh session and check out /mnt/us, and no update file ever showed up. Looks pretty solid to me.
Tomorrow I'll look into the binaries and check for code that download from amazon's servers. Maybe I can convince myself with that, if not then it'll just end up being some extra research for the OTA blocking thread.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:55 AM   #65
bnpssilva
Connoisseur
bnpssilva began at the beginning.

Device: KV, kOA2, KPW1, KPW2, KPW4,KT1, KT3, KT4,kOBOS, Nooks, PRS-T2
Do someone know if when Koreader is running, if I turn on the wifi on koreader, the OTA upgrade might happen? I love the calibre connection in Koreader....
bnpssilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2021, 10:19 AM   #66
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnpssilva View Post
Do someone know if when Koreader is running, if I turn on the wifi on koreader, the OTA upgrade might happen? I love the calibre connection in Koreader....
Which firmware are you on? If you are on a version that the KUAL helper extension can block, this is safe. If you are on newer firmware then only airplane mode or removing/renaming the OTA update routines can make this safe.

Keep in mind the kindle firmware sits on a linux foundation, which is inherently multitasking. Unless it is prevented from doing so that OTA routine will do what it was designed to do.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:36 AM   #67
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
KindleBreak Released – New Jailbreak Method for Kindles
https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...od-for-kindles
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:41 AM   #68
melksnor
Goodest E-Reader
melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 500 / Kindle 5th / Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Which firmware are you on? If you are on a version that the KUAL helper extension can block, this is safe. If you are on newer firmware then only airplane mode or removing/renaming the OTA update routines can make this safe.

Keep in mind the kindle firmware sits on a linux foundation, which is inherently multitasking. Unless it is prevented from doing so that OTA routine will do what it was designed to do.

Dave
Don't forget Hius's blocker, that works on firmwares > 5.11

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=25
melksnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:50 AM   #69
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@bnpssilva: It's technically likely, as the OTA daemons aren't frozen.

I'm still running FW 5.9.x, so what I *can* say is that everything's peachy with a sane OTA block, though.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:52 AM   #70
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by melksnor View Post
Don't forget Hius's blocker, that works on firmwares > 5.11

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=25
Since there are so many people reporting that this works, I added this post/thread to the OP with a warning. Hopefully we can get some more tests from other brave users.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:10 PM   #71
tryol
Warm Lighting Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
KindleBreak Released – New Jailbreak Method for Kindles
https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...od-for-kindles
I think this blog / channel is the reason why I bought an Oasis 3 instead of a Forma, so they are the reason why the jailbreak exists now. (I'm sure somebody else would have made it if I didn't though.)
Old 03-26-2021, 12:32 PM   #72
bnpssilva
Connoisseur

Well, I tried my luck with my KT4. Created the folder update.bin.tmp.partial, installed the rescue packs, turned on the kual OTA blocker; Then turned on the wifi. Unfortunately it was upgraded to 5.13.4, destroying the jailbreak. Is there still salvation ? I tried the emergency-bridge-recovery.zip, but I think it didn't work...
Old 03-26-2021, 12:37 PM   #73
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
turned on the kual OTA blocker
Which blocker? Rename OTA binaries or PREVENT OTA Updates from KUAL Helper?

How did the upgrading process start? Just by itself or asking to reboot?

Last edited by hius07; 03-26-2021 at 12:41 PM.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:40 PM   #74
bnpssilva
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Which blocker? Rename OTA binaries or PREVENT OTA Updates from KUAL Helper?
I used PREVENT OTA Updates from Kual Helper. And it was KT3, not KT4, sorry.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:44 PM   #75
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I used PREVENT OTA Updates from Kual Helper. And it was KT3, not KT4, sorry.
What was the firmware version before the update?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.13.3, exploit, jailbreak, kindle, kindlebreak