Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #331
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Before this thread continues, does this clock work with the new 4.19 firmware?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:18 PM   #332
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Before this thread continues, does this clock work with the new 4.19 firmware?
Do you have a reason to believe it doesn't?

Or any reason you can't tell us after testing?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:41 PM   #333
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@retro: MiniClock doesn't care/know about *any* of your non-MiniClock settings (if you forget about those it obviously tracks, like frontlight level or the nightmode status). It lives entirely in its own little bubble world.

So, if you want to disable it, you'll have to... disable it .

If you only want to disable it *under certain circumstances*, then you're SoL .

----

Incidentally, that answers Jon's... let's say "query". You could run MiniClock with basically nothing running on the device, it'd still show a clock on swipe/button press ^^. So, no, it doesn't care about the FW version.

(Technical note: emphasis on *could*. It does currently require nickel to be running as a sanity check).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-11-2019 at 09:45 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #334
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@retro: MiniClock doesn't care/know about *any* of your non-MiniClock settings (if you forget about those it obviously tracks, like frontlight level or the nightmode status). It lives entirely in its own little bubble world.

So, if you want to disable it, you'll have to... disable it .

If you only want to disable it *under certain circumstances*, then you're SoL .

----

Incidentally, that answers Jon's... let's say "query". You could run MiniClock with basically nothing running on the device, it'd still show a clock on swipe/button press ^^. So, no, it doesn't care about the FW version.

(Technical note: emphasis on *could*. It does currently require nickel to be running as a sanity check).
Thanks! I was concerned I might have done something wrong since I sort of struggled with getting both to work and no one else seems to have reported the problem.
Maybe my issue will be corrected in the new version patches out.
Honestly, as long as miniclock works, I'm happy
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #335
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The "Swap" patch leading to potentially undefined behavior in some circumstances is documented somewhere in the thread where it originally appeared.

I don't recall anyone ever having reported anything related to suspend/resume with it, though. But, what *was* reported is for things to go wonky if you only enable *one* of 'em (footer/header), which you appear to be doing here.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-12-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:24 PM   #336
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Do you have a reason to believe it doesn't?

Or any reason you can't tell us after testing?
Because sometimes the software needs to be modified to work with a new firmware version. So it's good to know if it's gong to work before trying it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #337
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because sometimes the software needs to be modified to work with a new firmware version. So it's good to know if it's gong to work before trying it.
Jon, the problem is that you asked before anyone* could have possibly known. You asked at a time where the only thing anyone could have said was, "Try it and tell us how it goes". The best @NiLuJe can say is that there are no dependencies in the code on a particular firmware version.

* Except possibly me, but as I don't use this or any of the other hacks or the patches, I have no interest in testing them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #338
doug000
doug000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo clara HD
.addons/miniclock/miniclock.cfg.

uninstall=1 in .addons/miniclock/miniclock.cfg the clock is still there, completely alive.

Strangely, when I installed it none of my modification would be taken into account (offset, font, remove days, etc). I am not using "example.cfg" but miniclock.cfg...

Please help. I am not a linux professional, and it feel very much stuck.
doug000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #339
NiLuJe
BLAM!

An uninstall requires a full, proper restart of the device. Getting that to happen on a Kobo is slightly finickier than it ought to because of the lack of a simple "restart me!" button somewhere in the settings .

TL;DR: AFAIK, the least error-prone way to get that done is to power it off (hold the power button for A Good Long While(TM)). Then power it back on. If you don't see the power LED blinking, then the usual boot progress bar, it was only sleeping, not off => hold the power button longer.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:06 AM   #340
doug000
doug000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo clara HD
Miniclock

Good morning,

I don't want to pack this technical thread, but I made a mistake with saving the file using textEdit on the Mac after setting uninstall = 1

As a result the file was miniclock.cfg.rtf but the extension was hidden.

Apologize for asking questions without checking thoroughly and thank you for the answer..
doug000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #341
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@doug000: No worries, I definitely appreciate you getting back to us .
Old 12-26-2019, 08:11 AM   #342
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
In the meantime, here's a test package, as I've finished testing on my end, and nothing horrible happened ^^.

Configs should be compatible, but do review the updated example .
I completely stripped the patch codepath, so Libra/Forma users who use buttons will have to use the not-yet-in-a-release relevant kobopatch patch .

That's the only gotchas I can think of, so, brave testers welcome ;p.

EDIT: And of course, 5min later I remember that I forgot to check straight ePubs, aaaaaand, yep, we're too fast. Yet another proof that ePub performance is subpar.

EDIT²: Fixed it :/.

EDIT³: Now ignores gyro events by default, to prevent them from feeding the cooldown (c.f., the new graylist option).
I've just found some time to play with your KoboRoot-MiniClock-20191124 version in post #311 on a ClaraHD. I like the new background/overlay options, however I have a fundamental problem with this version. After initial installation all seems to work well, but after a full power off/on cycle the miniclock fails to display at all.

The only way I've found to kickstart it again is by reconnecting the Kobo to the PC and edit/saving the miniclock.cfg (no need to change any of the options). After disconnecting, the miniclock is back again and I think everything will probably be OK until the next full power off.

The fact that no-one else has reported this makes me wonder whether I've done something dumb in the .cfg file, so I've attached the contents.

Spoiler:
Code:
# -------------------------------------------------------------------
#   MiniClock config example file. For settings to take any effect,
#     copy or rename this file to .addons/miniclock/miniclock.cfg.
# -------------------------------------------------------------------

#
# To uninstall, set to 1
#
uninstall=0

#
# To debug, set to 1 (will create .addons/miniclock/debuglog.txt)
# See also {debug} in format string below.
#
debug=0

#
# which /dev/input/eventX number devices to listen to
#
# input_devices=1    - event1 = touchscreen
# input_devices=0    - event0 = keyboard/buttons/magnet (patches libnickel)
# input_devices=1 0  - event1 event0 = both of the above
# ^NOTE: event0 requires the libnickel "Don't grab exclusive access to event0" patch from kobopatch, otherwise, MiniClock won't actually be able to listen to it.
#
input_devices=1

#
# whitelist of accepted events that should update miniclock
# ABS:MT_POSITION_X/Y: touchscreen coordinates
# KEY:F23/F24: forma forward backward buttons
# KEY:POWER: going into standby manually
# ABS:X/Y: touchscreen coordinates (older, non-multitouch devices)
#
#whitelist=ABS:MT_POSITION_X ABS:MT_POSITION_Y KEY:F23 KEY:F24 KEY:POWER
whitelist=ABS:MT_POSITION_X ABS:MT_POSITION_Y KEY:POWER
#
# graylist of ignored events that won't trip the cooldown
# MSC:RAW: orientation changes (gyro)
# To disable it, leave uncommented, but empty.
graylist=MSC:RAW
#
# cooldown=num time
#
# after receiving <num> unrecognized events in a row,
# stop listening to all input for <time> seconds.
# (helps avoid power consumption during standby)
# 
cooldown=5 30

#
# Delay: (update delay 1 second repeat 3 times)
# NOTE: Supports decimal values.
#       You might want to keep the *first* delay relatively "high", though, especially if you read ePubs, and not KePubs.
#       If you often catch a clock update happening between an input event and the actual page-turn, do up the first delay.
#
delay=1 1 1

#
# Date format string ( see 'man strftime' )
#
# In addition may also use {month}, {day}, {battery}.
# (Look for battery and locale settings further below).
#
# {debug} will show the reason for miniclock update and uptime
#  one of (touch)screen, (butt)on, or update (freq)uency event
#
format=%H:%M - {battery}

#
# Where to print the clock
#
#column=0
#row=0
# ^NOTE: Can be negative (f.g., row -1 is the last line of the screen (bottom), column -1 is the last column on the screen (right)).
#offset_x=0
#offset_y=0
# ^NOTE: These do *NOT* override row/column, they *fine-tune* them. Offsets can be negative, but will not wrap around edges.
#       f.g., if you only print a %H:%M timestamp, that's 5 characters, so, the bottom-right corner of the screen would be:
#       column=-5
#       row=-1
#       You can then adjust that a bit, by, say, moving it 10 pixels higher:
#       offset_y=-10
#  NOTE: While column/row won't, offset_x/offset_y *can* push content off-screen!
#
offset_x=25
offset_y=1405

#
# Font:  (IBM, UNSCII, ALT, THIN, FANTASY, MCR, TALL, BLOCK,
#         LEGGIE, VEGGIE, KATES, FKP, CTRLD, ORP, ORPB, ORPI,
#         SCIENTIFICA, SCIENTIFICAB, SCIENTIFICAI, TERMINUS,
#         TERMINUSB, FATTY, SPLEEN, TEWI, TEWIB, TOPAZ,
#         MICROKNIGHT, VGA)
#
font=SCIENTIFICAB

#
# Font Size:
#
size=3

#
# Color: (BLACK GRAY{1-9A-E} WHITE)
#
fg_color=GRAY4
bg_color=WHITE
#
# Does what it says on the tin ;).
# Set to 1 to enable.
backgroundless=1
# Ignores the specified foreground color, and instead use the inverse of what's on the screen.
# (f.g., if a pixel replaces a white pixel, it'll be painted black).
# Implies backgroundless.
# Set to 1 to enable.
overlay=1

#
# TrueType support:
#
# For fonts inside the MiniClock directory:
#     truetype=yourfont.ttf
#
# For fonts stored elsewhere in the filesystem:
#     truetype=/mnt/onboard/fonts/something.ttf

#
# Only set these if you use *italic*, **bold**, ***bold italic*** in your format string:
#
#     truetype_format=*%a* **%b** ***%d*** %H:%M
#     truetype_bold=yourfont-bold.ttf
#     truetype_italic=yourfont-italic.ttf
#     truetype_bolditalic=yourfont-bolditalic.ttf
#
# Technically, this can also be used for completely different font styles,
# instead of italic or bold variants of the same font.
#
# NOTE: Will fall back to regular mode when font file is unavailable.
#       (e.g. while the device is connected to USB)
#
#truetype_size=16.0
#truetype_px=0
# ^NOTE: size is in pt, px is in pixels. If set to non-zero, px takes precedence.
#truetype_x=0
#truetype_y=0
# ^NOTE: Much like above, these can be negative, in which case they count backwards from the opposite edge (like column/row).
#        f.g., a rough match to the column/row example above might be:
#        truetype_x=-115
#        truetype_y=-44
#truetype_fg=BLACK
#truetype_bg=WHITE
#
truetype=/mnt/onboard/fonts/Trebuchet.ttf
truetype_size=7.3
#truetype_px=0
# bottom right
truetype_x=915
truetype_y=1405
# top left
#truetype_x=5
#truetype_y=10

#
# TrueType Padding helps prevent visual fragments to appear,
# in the extremely rare instance of multiple clock updates on the same page,
# but it comes at the cost of adding extra whitespace.
# Set to 1 to enable.
# NOTE: If you still have this enabled, and you're seeing weird layout issues on the first update after a truetype switch,
#       try disabling it.
#
truetype_padding=1

#
# NightMode support:
#
check_nightmode=1
# ^NOTE: Set this to 0 if you won't ever use nightmode, to be able to skip the check entirely.
#
# For the current FW functionality:
nightmode_file=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf
nightmode_key=InvertScreen
nightmode_value=true
#
# For the legacy NightMode hack:
#nightmode_file=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/nightmode.ini
#nightmode_key=invertActive
#nightmode_value=yes
#

#
# Battery percentage value (0-100%)
#
# Use {battery} in the format string.
#
# Will only be used if the battery is between min max.
# Default: only shown when battery level drops to 50% and under.
battery_min=0
battery_max=100
battery_source=/sys/devices/platform/pmic_battery.1/power_supply/mc13892_bat/capacity

#
# Frontlight percentage value (0-100 or ??)
#
# Use {frontlight} in the format string.
# ^NOTE: It might take a couple pages to sync up. That's perfectly normal.
#
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:42 AM   #343
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I'm using the last version frostschutz put in his post #6 and powering off and on doesn't affect it on my Clara.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:48 AM   #344
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
I'm using the last version frostschutz put in his post #6 and powering off and on doesn't affect it on my Clara.
It's specifically the version with extra options posted by NiLuJe in post #311 that I'm having problems with.

I can revert to an earlier version that will work OK if it becomes necessary. I'm just providing feedback.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #345
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jackie_w: You're talking about an actual poweroff/poweron cycle (i.e., a cold reboot), and not a sleep/resume cycle, right?

In which case, that's... weird ^^. That's on 4.19 with nothing fancy installed, right?