Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-29-2020, 12:38 AM   #1
berwyn
berwyn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Viewer always freezes after upgrade

Hi Folks. Has anyone had experience with this issue -- or shall I file a bug report?

I upgraded from calibre 4.8 to 4.14 and suddenly the ebook viewer freezes forever every time I try to view a book.

It happens on every book in my library including new books.

I've downgraded back to 4.8 and the problem is still there! I've tried both 32-bit and 64-bit version. The problem still exists.

What can I do?

Screenshot:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L-E...w?usp=drivesdk
berwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:43 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
something on your computer is interfering with calibre, try running in safe mode.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:01 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by berwyn View Post
Hi Folks. Has anyone had experience with this issue -- or shall I file a bug report?

I upgraded from calibre 4.8 to 4.14 and suddenly the ebook viewer freezes forever every time I try to view a book.

It happens on every book in my library including new books.

I've downgraded back to 4.8 and the problem is still there! I've tried both 32-bit and 64-bit version. The problem still exists.

What can I do?

Screenshot:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L-E...w?usp=drivesdk
What OS are you using? There are known issues with QT5 which calibre uses and a fair number of Windows 7 video drivers and a smaller number of Windows 10 video drivers. If updating to the newest video driver doesn't help, you may have try a clean install of 4.8.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #4
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Possibly unrelated, I have had occasional freezes (perhaps 1 in 10) when starting the viewer since Calibre 4 came out. I've seen it starting viewer both inside Calibre and directly from double-clicking an ebook file or starting viewer by CLI.

Killing the viewer process and starting it again almost always works. I haven't been able to replicate the issue on demand.

I'm using Calibre 64 on Windows 10.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #5
berwyn
berwyn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
something on your computer is interfering with calibre, try running in safe mode.
Fixed. Interesting. A simple reboot (not even safe mode) fixed it. I should have thought of that.

A strange behaviour. I wonder what the underlying conflict was. Are there some logs somewhere that might clue me in?
berwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:10 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
These dont happen in viewer code but in Qt WebEngine, if you wish to debug that, the relevant documentation is https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwebengine-debugging.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, freeze, freezes, hangs, viewer