Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
paul1403
Exertion Avoider
paul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Eco-Reader, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy S2
Does size matter?

Hi,

To those of you who have experience in both the 5- and 6-inch screen sizes, which is better? Does that extra inch make a big difference, or does it not matter so much? I'm planning on using my reader (whichever one it ends up being) for just text based books... that is, no technical journals with diagrams, no non-english language books, nor any with mathematical equations. Simple, vanilla-flavoured, no-frills books.

Especially looking at readers such as the Hanlin V3 vs V5, is it worth lashing out and spending the extra $$ on the 6-inch version, or putting the extra money towards the books themselves? If I do the latter, will I be wishing in a months time that I did the former?

Thanks,
Paul
Canberra, Australia
paul1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I prefer the 6" screen, but that's because I have to enlarge the font to make the text readable.

Otherwise, if I was just reading plain text (no tables or charts) I'd go with a 5" screen for portability. One reason I sent back my K1 was because it was so bulky for the size of the screen.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Hi Paul1403

I was in a similar position to you tossing between a 5" or 6". A couple of threads might be of help;

Comparison of 5" and 6" readers.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54351

wallcraft's review of the Hanlin V5
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55790

(sorry I don't know how to embed links in posts yet).

Hope it is of some help.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I've been using both: a 505 Reader (almost 2 years, ??? books) and a 300 Reader (1 month, maybe a dozen novels so far). The reading experience is very similar on both--I don't really notice the extra page turns on the 300. (A typical book may have about 800 pages on the 300 vs. 600 pages on the 505.) The 300 is much more portable for me--fits in my front pants pocket. Still like the 505, just not as easy to carry around.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:42 AM   #5
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I recently bought the 6" EcoReader and the 5" V5 from DADirect in Melbourne. I use them for reading novels.

I got both because the EcoReader is made specially for Australia while the V5 is generic but newer in design.

I love the 5" best. It seems faster, it's easier to carry around and it has an extra flick lever to change pages which is much easier to use than the usual buttons.

If had to have only one of them I'd choose the V5.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Hi Paul. Like Dr. Moze, I have both the Sony 300 (5 inch) and 505 (6 inch) Readers. I was planning on returning one of them (I bought the 300 first, but wanted to see what all the hype about the 505 was about, so I ordered one), but you know what? I love them both, and now I don't want to part with either one! I usually like to read the 505 at home, because of the larger screen, which is more like reading a printed book (ok, and the beautiful red colour, and the cool feel of the metal casing), and I like to take the 300 with me when I go out, because of the portability. Interestingly, the book I am reading now (One Minute to Midnight) displays as a larger font on the 300 at the same zoom level. So my advice is to buy both!
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
It really depends on what you read - I read some comics and manga on my 505, and the 6" screen is on the bottom edge of legibility for comics. If that's important to you, then go 6" - otherwise go for whichever is the better deal.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
imho, for fiction literature 5'' is more than enough
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote