Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you get your ebooks?
I buy most of my ebooks 214 64.85%
I use P2P to get most of my ebooks 87 26.36%
I use P2P to read my ebooks and then buy the good ones (nobody believes this btw.) 23 6.97%
I don't read ebooks 6 1.82%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2009, 06:10 AM   #46
Stringer
Connoisseur
Stringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid that we must agree to differ. We're obviously not going to influence each other's opinion, are we?
I vote for your point of view. My experience with the Xena fan-fiction was that there really are good books for free (written with love) that are just as good as the "professional" ones. Hell, couple of them was even published as pbooks too. However, those were rather rare. For every really good and long fan-fiction article there is probably at least 10000 pieces of equally good commercial books. In the end, piracy would probably shrink the amount much more closer to the fan-fiction figures.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:20 AM   #47
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Device: Hanlin Jinke V3ext running OpenInkPot
I chose the third... And if you don't believe me your own choice. I'll explain by example.

I'm an avid reader. If it's Sci-Fi or Fantasy I'll read it more or less front to back. So when a friend introduced me to the Discworld by Terry Pratchett I was hooked but at the time I had 0 disposable income. The local libraries only ever had 3 or 4 or the books and generally all the same.

So I resorted to getting the shared versions online. Now that I have that disposable income I buy 3 of the books every 2-3 months. I buy them in pbook form. I might even buy the ebook versions if I can find a drm-free seller.

And what's more I'll be buying the extra material and some of his other books as well. Similar thing are the books from Peter F. Hamilton I've got them from the library but will be buying them after I'm done with the Discworld book buying. I'll probably buy them sooner if I find them in a DRM-free ebook format since they tend to be rather thick volumes.

Hope this explains things. I don't mind freebies but I don't like getting the shared stuff without some compensation.

What I would prefer the most is a reasonable(10-30eur) monthly flatrate fee payed to some common pool and a way to report what content one consumed to be deducted from it.

I would split the fees over video, music, text each the same amount and a way to report it. So that would be 3 different pools each for one.

I am not saying this should be forced upon people but voluntary.

The one thing I do want is to NOT be limited to a particular service. If I want to get some content from torrents I should be able to but I also want to be able to give back to the authors.

And just as another example of not being a freeloader I actually bought a Free Software/Open Source game(yes bought, got a nice CD for it and so on).
ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 06:39 AM   #48
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
What about "I use P2P to download (some) ebooks I already own in paper"?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:18 AM   #49
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
the first option doesn't say all, but most... So I picked that one.

Maybe a new option would have been better:

I buy most of my ebooks, but do use other means to get some others (please explain)...

(which would fit me better)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 AM   #50
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Or "I get most of my ebooks through fully legal means..." Buying is not the only way to get legal ebooks, there's a lot of free stuff around (and promotions, and gifts...).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 07:34 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Where is the option that says about 50/50?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:20 AM   #52
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I buy all of my ebooks, unless they are free legally. If I can't find them in ebook, I get them at the library, or if they aren't there then I buy the pbook.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:31 AM   #53
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I buy my ebooks but I do not believe in DRM. Why; I do a lot of experimenting so I am always changing OS on my PC and also I have a generic ebook reader so I am experimenting with the OS on my reader. I also experiment with ebook formats. One thing that I do not do is give away or even share my ebooks with anyone else. I do not believe that is right. I would not want everyone to have my property with out paying for it. To me that is the same as breaking into a persons home and taking what they own.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:32 AM   #54
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I can't vote on this poll because there isn't an option for 'I get most of my ebooks from public domain sources and convert them myself, if necessary.'

I won't buy DRM'd ebooks, so I tend to buy them in treeware format.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:40 AM   #55
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I buy all of my ebooks, unless they are free legally. If I can't find them in ebook, I get them at the library, or if they aren't there then I buy the pbook.
Exactly. I do the very same. I have never found the need to obtain, or even consider obtaining an ebook in a any other manner than stated by lilac. You can believe it or not, but I have NEVER obtained an illegal ebook. There is no option for that in your poll.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:40 AM   #56
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Or "I get most of my ebooks through fully legal means..." Buying is not the only way to get legal ebooks, there's a lot of free stuff around (and promotions, and gifts...).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I can't vote on this poll because there isn't an option for 'I get most of my ebooks from public domain sources and convert them myself, if necessary.'

I won't buy DRM'd ebooks, so I tend to buy them in treeware format.
i was about to post the same thing.

i have bought *some* ebooks (quite a few since i got my liseuse) ; however the majority of my books are PD which i've gotten first directly from Project Gutenberg (this is what eventually motivated me to look into dedicated reading devices in the first place, since i was so excited to find all these brilliant books for free but realised i would never read them on my pc) and later from MR once i found this site. and like jellby i've gotten quite a lot of free promotional ebooks as well, and sometimes i convert them myself.

if you like, a mod could add an option for this... let us know.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #57
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i was about to post the same thing.

i have bought *some* ebooks (quite a few since i got my liseuse) ; however the majority of my books are PD which i've gotten first directly from Project Gutenberg (this is what eventually motivated me to look into dedicated reading devices in the first place, since i was so excited to find all these brilliant books for free but realised i would never read them on my pc) and later from MR once i found this site. and like jellby i've gotten quite a lot of free promotional ebooks as well, and sometimes i convert them myself.

I'd say I want that option, but I already voted on the first.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:48 AM   #58
Stringer
Connoisseur
Stringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 and 2
I should have put only two choices:
1) no piracy
2) piracy (including when it is legal on Your country but not elsewhere, assuming you know the concept of right and wrong)

That is what interest me most.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:51 AM   #59
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I should have put only two choices:
1) no piracy
2) piracy (including when it is legal on Your country but not elsewhere, assuming you know the concept of right and wrong)

That is what interest me most.
Piracy is the wrong world altogether. It's an emotionally charged word used to virtually tar-and-feather those who share with each other.

EDIT: and if anybody is comparing people sharing and downloading entertainment with high-seas rapists, murderers and thieves, then I think it's time to re-evaluate.

Last edited by Moejoe; 03-31-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
It's not a good idea to edit polls, because those who have already voted cannot change their vote, so it all ends up being rather meaningless if you have a new item which many people can't vote for!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote