Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #61
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Knowing what was on it before the update is only of interest if you where using the OTA blocking directory.

It is not likely there will be a jail break for 5.9.2 (at least, not in my lifetime).
So put the OTA blocking directory name on the device when you get it.

The point is to keep it on a version that can be jail broken, even if you do not intend to jail break for a few days, weeks, months, years, ...
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:12 AM   #62
feelmaroon
Connoisseur
feelmaroon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 4, PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Knowing what was on it before the update is only of interest if you where using the OTA blocking directory.

It is not likely there will be a jail break for 5.9.2 (at least, not in my lifetime).
So put the OTA blocking directory name on the device when you get it.

The point is to keep it on a version that can be jail broken, even if you do not intend to jail break for a few days, weeks, months, years, ...
Thank you. I have initiated an exchange and should be getting the replacement in a few days. Can you give me the link to how to put on the OTA blocking so I have it ready when I receive the new Oasis?

Thanks again for the insights.
S.
feelmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2017, 12:29 AM   #63
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelmaroon View Post
Thank you. I have initiated an exchange and should be getting the replacement in a few days. Can you give me the link to how to put on the OTA blocking so I have it ready when I receive the new Oasis?

S.
I have edited the instructions in the first post, but I will put them here too:

Instructions on how to block updates, but still connect to WIFI.
See also: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=219986

Plug your kindle into usb before connectiong to wifi
Create a FOLDER at the root of your USB drive named "update.bin.tmp.partial"
That is it.

This has worked in the past, all the way up to the most recent update before 5.9.2, though there is no guarantee it will keep working.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:07 AM   #64
feelmaroon
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post

That is it.

This has worked in the past, all the way up to the most recent update before 5.9.2, though there is no guarantee it will keep working.
Thank you. I just placed that in my 6" Oasis and will do it when i get my replacement. Hoping and fingers crossed that they won't send me a new Oasis with the 5.9.2 update already on it.

Last edited by feelmaroon; 11-19-2017 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:46 AM   #65
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post

That is it.

Also here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MyTestPage
Do "Required" (Section 1.1 and 1.2)

Also available as a *.pdf:
https://github.com/knc1/KOA2_Jailbre..._Jailbreak.pdf

While waiting -
Also review the "Recommended" (Section 2) section.

= = = = =

For people who might be interested in editing the directions, the "Master" file has the extension: *.lyx
All other formats are generated either by LyX (*.tex, *.pdf) or Pandoc (from the *.tex).

The (open) "Master" is here:
https://github.com/knc1/KOA2_Jailbreak

If you don't have LyX, get that here:
https://www.lyx.org/Download

And if you want other formats (using the *.tex as input), such as MediaWiki (our Wiki markup), Markdown (several flavors, including github), or even AsciiDoc (among dozens of others, including two flavors of epub), get Pandoc here:
https://pandoc.org/installing.html

If from the blurbs on LyX and Pandoc you get the impression you have just entered the real world of technical documentation, you are correct.
See:
https://www.lyx.org/Screenshots
And:
https://pandoc.org/demos.html

Last edited by knc1; 11-19-2017 at 02:21 AM.
Advert
Old 11-19-2017, 02:13 AM   #66
feelmaroon
Connoisseur

Haha. I deserved that. I went back to the beginning of the thread and read it more carefully. Thank you for all the help. Looks like my replacement comes on Tuesday.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:31 AM   #67
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Haha. I deserved that. I went back to the beginning of the thread and read it more carefully. Thank you for all the help. Looks like my replacement comes on Tuesday.

Yeah, it is just our way of hiding all the important stuff.

Last edited by knc1; 11-19-2017 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #68
feelmaroon
Connoisseur

Quote:

Yeah, it is just our way of hiding all the important stuff.
Sweet.
Replacement just came in. 5.9.0.1
Left wifi off
Added folder update.bin.tmp.partial with nothing in it.
Can this version be jailbroken?

Afraid to turn on wifi.
Did you get yours yesterday?

Last edited by feelmaroon; 11-21-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:22 PM   #69
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Sweet.
Replacement just came in. 5.9.0.1
Left wifi off
Added folder update.bin.tmp.partial with nothing in it.

Afraid to turn on wifi.
Did you get yours yesterday?
Yes I did.

If interested in helping test stuff, PM me.
Like before you load it up with books.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #70
feelmaroon
Connoisseur

From my end...

Kindle Oasis 7"
8GB, WiFi
G000 P8

Last edited by feelmaroon; 11-21-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #71
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
From my end...

Kindle Oasis 7"
8GB, WiFi
G000 P8
Same model as mine.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:04 PM   #72
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Same model as mine.
Do you have or need files for 5.9.0.6?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:07 AM   #73
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Do you have or need files for 5.9.0.6?
I need as many of any version that I can get.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:15 AM   #74
Phi10s0ph3rking
Phi10s0ph3rking will become famous soon enoughPhi10s0ph3rking will become famous soon enoughPhi10s0ph3rking will become famous soon enoughPhi10s0ph3rking will become famous soon enoughPhi10s0ph3rking will become famous soon enoughPhi10s0ph3rking will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Hi, new here but want to help out. Are we still looking for virgin disk images? If things go as expected I'm getting my fancy new 32gb, no ads, WiFi + cellular in tomorrow. US shipped and sold, arriving registered. Read the posts to current but it seems like updates have been less frequent so I thought I should check in.
Edit: Device Arrived
serial: G000 S1
Firmware: Kindle 5.9.0.6 (3234010012)

Last edited by Phi10s0ph3rking; 12-05-2017 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Added info
Phi10s0ph3rking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:11 PM   #75
knc1
Going Viral

PM sent