Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
craigx
craigx began at the beginning.

Device: sony 350
Misplaced periodicals

When downloading a news item (BBCNEws) with the windows version of calibre the item is placed correctly in the Periodicals section on my Sony 350 reader. However, when I download using the Ubuntu operating system news items are put in the books section. How do I fix this please.https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/xmas.gif
craigx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
You need to select the "Sony" output profile. Sony readers use an extension of the epub format to make periodicals work. The "Sony" profile forces the extensions into the output epub file.
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 03:48 AM   #3
craigx

The conversion output profile is set to Sony for the Windows and Ubuntu operating systems and makes no difference.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

What version are you running on Ubuntu? If you got it through the repository, it's too old and won't generate Sony periodicals. Sony periodicals support is implemented in Calibre versions 0.7.25 or later.

You can install the latest version of Calibre with this command line:

Code:
sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read(); main()"
It's not a .deb package but it installs neatly in /opt, so you can remove it at any time. Just remember to uninstall the Calibre package from the Ubuntu repository before installing the latest version manually.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
craigx

I had to install Calibre manually the first time and for some reason it does not show up in the software centre. Consequently, I don't know how to uninstall it. Have you a command line that would do it. Many thanks
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
Fastolfe
Bookworm

If you installed a package manually from the command line, you can try:

Code:
sudo dpkg --remove calibre
or

Code:
sudo apt-get remove calibre
If you installed it otherwise, I suggest you find out exactly where it is installed by doing:

Code:
ls -l `which calibre`
That should tell you whether the "calibre" binary is a symbolic link to a binary someplace else (like "/opt/calibre/bin/calibre" or something). If it is, you probably have all of Calibre installed in a single directory. In that case, simply remove the directory and the symlinks to the binaries. If not, then you'll have to hunt down the individual Calibre files yourself and remove them, which I'm sorry to say is a pain. The "find" command is your friend to locate the files.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
craigx

Thank you - that has done the trick.https://www2.mobileread.com/i/icons/icon7.gif