Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #1
AntonGolubev
AntonGolubev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, PocketBook
start calibre with specific virtual library

How can I start calibre with the specific virtual library shown?

Use-case: I use calibre library at work. Every time it starts, it shows the whole collection, which distract me from the topic I I am currently on. Some books appearing may be not appropriate for the working environment. Additionally it costs more clicks to get that you need.

I was hoping that with something like this I will be able to solve my problem, as somebody suggested on the forum:

calibre-portable.exe --with-library "Technology"

But this option does not exist or have another meaning.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,
Anton
AntonGolubev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please ask Calibre questions in the Calibre forum, to where I'm now moving this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonGolubev View Post
How can I start calibre with the specific virtual library shown?

Use-case: I use calibre library at work. Every time it starts, it shows the whole collection, which distract me from the topic I I am currently on. Some books appearing may be not appropriate for the working environment. Additionally it costs more clicks to get that you need.

I was hoping that with something like this I will be able to solve my problem, as somebody suggested on the forum:

calibre-portable.exe --with-library "Technology"

But this option does not exist or have another meaning.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,
Anton
calibre preferences:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-08-14 10-51-11.png
Views:	842
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	165586

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:30 AM   #4
AntonGolubev

Thank you, Bernie! It works and helps a lot already!

However, it looks like the global option - so it opens same specified library at home and at work. I am still looking therefore for the option to dynamically select virtual library during startup.

May be it is possible that Kovid build it in?

Kind regards,
Anton
Old 08-17-2018, 06:09 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
However, it looks like the global option - so it opens same specified library at home and at work. I am still looking therefore for the option to dynamically select virtual library during startup.

May be it is possible that Kovid build it in?
No, it isn't built in. I can't speak for Kovid, but I am not interested in adding this option. My strong suspicion is that Kovid also isn't interested.

One way to get 99% of what you want is to:
  • Create an empty virtual library
  • Set calibre to open this empty library on startup.
  • Add the VLs as tabs to the GUI.
  • When calibre starts, click the VL tab you want to see.
This takes one click at startup. If you don't want the tabs then it takes two clicks, one on the VL button and one on the VL.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #6
AntonGolubev

Hi Chaley,

Do you know if Kovid accepts pull requests? How it works with code contribution with Calibre community?

Kind regards,
Anton
Old 08-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Hi Chaley,

Do you know if Kovid accepts pull requests? How it works with code contribution with Calibre community?

Kind regards,
Anton
Yes, he does accept submissions either as patch files or pull requests. See https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html for more information.

What I have seen over my 8 years of working with Kovid is that he is truly happy to accept submissions. He does review for technical correctness and conformance with calibre's architecture, and for "suitability" with current and future calibre. He isn't shy about telling you what he thinks and he will work with you to "fix" things he thinks need changing. He does like it if you will stay around to fix things in your changes should the need arise.

If you are serious then I suggest you open an enhancement request at https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre, describing what you want to implement. Kovid will tell you at that point if he has any requirements such as being implemented in the GUI and on the command line, where the option is set, and error handling. This could save both of you some time.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@AntonGolubev - if you want the starting virtual library to be a per-library setting (rather than global) you might want to take a look at DaltonST's JobSpy plugin; it has a number of 'tweaks' that transform various global settings into per library settings - viz:

Per-Library Tweak for Calibre Global Tweak for Author Sort Method
Per-Library Tweak for Adding Books for 'read file metadata' from either file contents or file name
Per-Library Tweak for Book Automatic Adding Directory
Per-Library Tweak for Book Save-To Directory
Per-Library Tweak for Book Save-To Template
Per-Library Tweak to Specify 'Save Cover Separately' Option
Per-Library Tweak to Specify 'Default Output Format' Option

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote