Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
How easy is it to accidently buy a book in the Kindle store ?

Just wondering about getting my mother one, But she's not tech savvy and from the video reviews I've seen there doesn't look to be a conformation pop-up when clicking the "buy" tab. And if she did buy one by mistake what are Amazon's policies on sending back\deleting wrongly purchased ebooks ?
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Hah. I had to cancel a *Kindle* order the other day. If you have the 1 click purchases turned on I imagine it would be very easy to buy a book!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
Lexi Revellian
Groupie
Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Yes, the one-click purchase on Amazon makes it scarily easy to buy anything. "Oh, was that it? Ah."

No one else seems to have it. Perhaps it is the secret of Amazon's success...
Lexi Revellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
From the Kindle users guide, section 5.4

RETURNING AN ITEM
All of your Kindle Store purchases present an order cancellation feature at the time
of purchase in case you change your mind or made a mistake. Just select “Purchase
by Accident? Cancel this Order” on the order confirmation page. If you are a U.S.
customer, you can also contact Kindle Support using Amazon’s Click-to-Call service on
the Web at: http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport
For customers outside the U.S., Kindle Support can be reached via e-mail at:
kindle-cs-support@amazon.com or by phone at 1-206-266-0927(charges will

You can access it here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200317150

Last edited by desertgrandma; 09-21-2010 at 05:13 PM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi Revellian View Post
No one else seems to have it. Perhaps it is the secret of Amazon's success...
Amazon patented the idea of "1 click" ordering.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I only look for new books using my computer browser. That way I have better control of getting books.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some people don't have/want computer access. Thats the beauty of the Kindle.

I just tried out the process.

When you click "buy", it comes up with a screen asking you if you "bought by accident? Click here to cancel order"

Easy peasy.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Yep, I accidentally ordered a book and didn't notice it until I got the email from Amazon congratulation me on my purchase. One call to customer service removed the book and the charge in less than a day.

So the answer to the question is YES it is easy to "1-click" your way to a purchase, but it is just as easy to undo that purchase.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Diodato
Diodato began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Downloaded a sample?
While reading it you want to navigate to the cover image or TOC or anywhere else so you select the Menu and click without thinking, recalling that it was always the GoTo highlighted as default and .... voila, you have just bought the complete book!
For samples it's not the GoTo that gets highlighted by default when selecting the Menu but... BUY THIS BOOK NOW.

I have bought one book this way Didn't return it.
Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Cool thanks guys, I don't know about just as easy to cancel though Navy, One click oops wrong order>ring ring our lines are busy at the moment you are part of a queue e.c.t
One click un-buy would be just as easy
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
Yep, I accidentally ordered a book and didn't notice it until I got the email from Amazon congratulation me on my purchase. One call to customer service removed the book and the charge in less than a day.
Whoa, Nellie! I thought that Amazon promised they wouldn't do that again (remove a book) after the 1984 debacle. Now I see that they will do it if you ask them to.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
It's almost too easy. Once I was demonstrating my Kindle(2) to a colleague while sitting in an airport awaiting my flight. While doing so he asked about purchasing books from the Kindle. No problem, I said. I logged on to the AZ storefront and gave him a look. We then boarded the aircraft and I had slipped the Kindle w/cover back in my bag, apparently without successfully turning off the wireless.

When I retrieved it later to read I discovered my Kindle had bought itself three books before takeoff! I would have loved to have seen the expression on the AZ CS rep's face when I was explaining why I was returning all three books that had been purchased six hours earlier!

The joystick was easily depressed when in a bag - I think the K3 will not have the same problem.

Last edited by Skydog; 09-21-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Whoa, Nellie! I thought that Amazon promised they wouldn't do that again (remove a book) after the 1984 debacle. Now I see that they will do it if you ask them to.
In the 1984 'fiasco' they removed a book without the owners permission.

Removing it when asked to is a BIG difference.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
Yes, it is too easy. It usually happens when I download a sample. Maybe they could add a simple CAPTCHA for confirmation.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #15
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
It is really easy. Just for the fear of accidental purchase, I've disabled 1-click ordering on the kindle. I don't mind reading stuff on the Kindle, and there's no real reason that I NEED to purchase a book when I'm away from the computer. If I really really need to, I'll log in to the webkit browser and try to simulate a computer experience.
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote