Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which new e-reader appeals to you the most?
Sony Reader 56 53.85%
iRex Iliad 26 25.00%
Jinke Hanlin 9 8.65%
Undecided 12 11.54%
Dedicated e-book readers don't appeal to me. 1 0.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2006, 05:24 AM   #1
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Poll: Which e-reader would you choose? (as of 09/30/06)

A lot has happened since Brian asked us which e-book device would appeal the most to us. In retrospect, the iRex iLiad won with a majority popular vote.

Who'd be your winner today?
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:24 AM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Until I can actually touch a reader, I am undecided.

Right now, my iLiad does the job, works well and has a battery life long enough to get me through the day without a recharge.

The competitors offer cheaper prices, less features, smaller screens, more closed systems, and, possibly, more polished devices (until I get more information, I can't tell).

Now that I am experienced eInk user, my requirements in a device are clearer.

1. Content. The ability to create my own content and the ability to get content that displays well. Right now iRex's larger screen beats the competition.
2. Battery life.
3. Convenience. This is my only issue with the iRex. The larger size makes it more cumbersome to carry around. But a smaller device would make certain content harder to read (or unable to be read).
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2006, 07:39 AM   #3
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I haven't tried the sony reader yet and can't do it because it won't be sold outside the Us for some time (if it ever will...) but I still voted for the Sony.

They published their sources, opened their webstore and are offering books at acceptable prices (Wintersmith is 11$ and I would have to pay 22€ in a shop here in Wuerzburg).

I can't say how good the battery life really is and how well the device really works, but from what i've heard so far it has to be beter than the Iliad.

I really still think the Iliad is the best device when it comes to size and features, but without porper software (the wacom works a lot worse than a standard pen-input system at the moment) it can't really justify it's high price.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Tough call. Before I was 100% convinced that the iLiad was my choice. Now I am not so sure anymore, considering the various issues we've been dealing with lately.

I think the iLiad is still superior hardware-wise. It has the better screen and the better connectivity. On the other hand, it's more than twice as expensive! And it's only backed up by a small company.

Well, last time I picked the iLiad, this time I am going to do the same again - as a sign of good faith
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Well, I was initially torn between the Hanlin V8 and the Sony Reader... In fact, leaning towards the V8. But I am impatient, I wanted a reader months ago, and so when the Reader came out I broke down. I guess I decided existence was the most important feature of the perfect eReader (the ontological reader? Hmm....) ;-)
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
They published their sources, opened their webstore and are offering books at acceptable prices (Wintersmith is 11$ and I would have to pay 22€ in a shop here in Wuerzburg).
With the euro-dollar exchange rate, it would be my pleasure to buy the Reader and have my first paid-for ebook be a Pratchett's (the ebook is even cheaper than the British hardcover on Amazon!). Sadly, Sony doesn't want my foreign money. I will have to exercise patience once again.

I voted for Sony, anyway. It may not have a large screen, but the Iliad is too much a machine for me, and not only because of the extra money.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I actually bought Wintersmith as .lit for 13$ at Diesel-ebooks and then ripped and converted it for the Iliad. The Footnotes don't work right now, but apart from that it worked pretty well...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
The Footnotes don't work right now, but apart from that it worked pretty well...
Yes, well, footnotes are kind of important with the Master
I don't like what I read about RTF support on the Reader at this thread, either.

There's always PDF, but... I hope someone can get a HTML reader out for the Reader. It's the obvious choice for footnotes.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:06 PM   #9
kickaha
kickaha began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500 / Palm Tungsten T5
Hardware feature-set, Iliad, hands down. My aging eyes need a bigger screen, and the notes features will eventually be compelling.

I'm waiting for irex to get to a stable and finished product, though. I've been an early adopter on ... well, pretty much everything since the early '90s, but the e-book market has me acting conservatively.

Having voted for the Iliad, I was ready to pull the trigger on the Sony reader until they ran out of stock before I could even move my mouse to the order button. My current thinking is, the Sony reader will function as a useable place-holder for the shorter term, and I can sell that and upgrade to an Iliad when it's stable, and a little bit less of an adventure for a US-consumer.
kickaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:03 AM   #10
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
I am looking forward to new information of the new white display version of my EBK reader (refer to my signature picture) and the panasonic Words Gear (as shown in the attached photo; official website: http://saidoku.com/ (in Japanese)).
The iLiad and Sony reader are both my candidates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pana_worlds-gear.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1701  

Last edited by segatang; 10-04-2006 at 03:06 AM.
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:47 PM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
The sony has the right feature for what it is marketed to be. With it I'd like an A4 business machine with input capabilities and color eink presentation.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:07 PM   #12
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
None of them are a good fit for me yet. The iRex is just too expensive, and the battery life / suspend issues worry me, and will only display my converted content. The Jinke has the right price, but again no commercial content. The Sony has some content, but as a Mac user, not only can I not access any of it, I cannot even convert my own content unless I want to stick to PDFs. None of them have an integrated light source.

Too many shortfalls at the moment, so I'll stick with my handhelds for now.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:16 PM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble
The Sony has some content, but as a Mac user, not only can I not access any of it, I cannot even convert my own content unless I want to stick to PDFs.
I thought Macs support RTF just fine?...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:22 PM   #14
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
I thought Macs support RTF just fine?...
They do, but I thought the RTF files still needed to be converted by the Connect software? If not, that would at least put the Sony on par with the Jinke.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:58 PM   #15
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble
They do, but I thought the RTF files still needed to be converted by the Connect software? If not, that would at least put the Sony on par with the Jinke.
Nope, just drop them on the card, insert it in the Reader and you're done. Same with .txt. Though you do need to wait a bit for the pagination to finish the first time you open the file.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote