Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Folders on 2 and DX through the Browser?

I noticed this afternoon that the Kindle 2 and DX browsers can access the internal memory. It is also possible to download Kindle books through the browser.
Is it possible to store books in a folder structure (not in "Documents") and then add a web page with javascript to see the folders structure and navigate through it to the books you want, then "download" the book you want to read to the Documents folder.

It all sounds (vaguely) plausible.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
ziplizard
Enthusiast
ziplizard doesn't litterziplizard doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2.0
You can't do it with javascript. You could do something with php, if you were some how able to get a php server running on your kindle, but that would require a ton of hacking and probably just end up bricking it. Your best bet sounds like to make an html file of the contents of each folder and one to link them all together. You can probably find a program that can generate them for you, or if you're a programmer, programming one shouldn't be too hard.
ziplizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Hi slm

I'm outside the US coverage area and have never managed to access the internal memory through the experimental browser. Each time I have tried, the DX seems to hang and needs to be rebooted.

Could you please give steps on how you've managed this.
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
I followed directions I found on Mobileread to create a folder in the root. (I called it "html") I put some html documents in there. To read the document you use the url:
file:///mnt/us/html/thedocument.html.
It works, BUT when you try to go the the browser, the Kindle requires you to turn wireless on. I do not know whether it uses the wireless or not.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
I suspect it's set up in a way so that the experimental browser will only work if the wireless connection is switched on whether you want to browse online of offline. Since the wireless doesn't pick up a signal (if like me, you're outside the coverage area) the DX hangs. I can't seem to get passed this stage though I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences.
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert