Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
What do you love/hate about your PRS - 505?

Hi, I'm a newbie - and looking to jump into the e-reader pool. I've written about my research and shared my "wish-list" here. I have also written posts similar to this in the Hanlin V3 forum and the Cybook G3 forum.

My first choice was either the Sony 700 or Sony 505. Then I looked at them at a Borders and came away unimpressed with the 700's display and a little hesitant about the design of the 505 (buttons on the side). So I have been looking at others (albeit I have not crossed the 505 off the list yet).

The Cybook G3 and the EZ Reader caught my eye - due to design and the format support. However, I have to say, while lurking in other forums, there is a lot of evidence of unhappiness (or at least, dwindling patience). Which causes me to think twice and thrice.

So, can you please tell me - why do you love your PRS-505? What is it that makes you want to curl up and get cozy with it? Or, if the relationship has cooled off, please tell me why - or, if you hate it now and want to get a restraining order issued and banish it from your life forever, then why?

Thanks so much for your opinions and shared wisdom.

-- Rique
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I actually love the buttons on the side and the ones on the left. I love being able to lie on my side in bed and read comfortably. It's slim and very ergonomic.

I don't hate or even dislike anything about my 505. It is the perfect reader for me
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I love love love my 505. I too don't have a problem with the button configuration. Once you start using it, it is very intuitive. You also don't use the buttons that much when you're reading. I find the 505 very natural to hold and turn the pages when you are reading.

Are there some things I'd like improved? Absolutley. I'd like a built-in dictionary. I'd like better functionality on the mp3 player. I'd liek a better indexing system. But as a reader, I really couldn't ask for much more. I love reading with it and I've read a lot more since I've got it.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I don't hate anything about my 505...

My iLiad however...
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I love that I can take it with me anywhere

I love that I can borrow ebooks from my local library

I love that it is thin and light (with and without a cover)

I love that it can be read in the sun

I love my collections (basic folders)

I love my stand-by mode (no shut-down between reading sessions)

Mostly, I love that it is BLUE

* Dictionary support would be nice but was never high on my priority list.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Love:
Size
Form factor
Button Placement
Ease of use
Ability to use my library's ebook collection

Nice to haves:
Dictionary
More time to read

Hate:
Nothing about the 505...
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I love my 505! When I was looking to buy an ereader, I only looked at the 505 (because a friend has one) and the Kindle....and I didn't like the Kindle because it locked you in to where you could get books, and the price was outrageous. I think had I done more research I STILL would've wanted the 505 (I've been researching some ereaders after buying mine). I love that I can have access to the libraries books. I belong to two library systems, and even drove 2 1/2 hours to get a library card for 1 of them, and plan to take another road trip to get 3 more cards. LOL I also love the design. The side buttons do not bother me at all, and I love the page turner button. I also love how you can increase the font. I LOVE my lightwedge. So far, I have no complaints.

Good luck with your decision. It's a hard decision because there are so many out there.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
am_mread
Head Goat
am_mread is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11.
I do wish the next/back buttons on my PRS-505 were a little bit bigger, and they had them on both sides as well as the top..
am_mread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I like my 505 a lot. After awhile, the buttons feel very intuitive. And I've actually caught myself absentmindedly sliding my finger to the upper right corner to turn the page.

A built in light like the 700 would be nice but I much prefer the 505 screen resolution.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I love, love, love my 505. It was a gift from my son. He only knew about the Kindle but, he was on a plane with someone using a 505 and she convinced him to get the 505 for me. I am so glad that she did and that he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I love that I can take it with me anywhere

I love that I can borrow ebooks from my local library

I love that it is thin and light (with and without a cover)

I love that it can be read in the sun

I love my collections (basic folders)

I love my stand-by mode (no shut-down between reading sessions)

Mostly, I love that it is BLUE

* Dictionary support would be nice but was never high on my priority list.
My reasons also!!! Plus....

I am not tech savy and only wanted to get a book and read it. The formats that I have used so far... lrf, lrx, epub, pdf, ADE (epub and pdf) ... no problems so far... <there may be more formats but, I haven't tried them yet>

Quote:
Originally Posted by am_mread View Post
I do wish the next/back buttons on my PRS-505 were a little bit bigger, and they had them on both sides as well as the top..
Page turn buttons are on both sides. The left is on the Circle button. Oh wait.. did you mean that you wanted them to be the same as the ones on the right?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I love the 505, I think the design is beautiful. And it works quite well. My complaints would be similar to am_mread's. Bigger buttons and on both sides/top. My other complaint would be the handling of large libraries. It was my intention to use the Sony as a mobile library. Then I realized that if a book crashed, and I had a large library on it, it could take .5 to 1.5 hours for it to boot up. This also did away with my thoughts of swapping SD cards. I would also love dictionary lookup.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
I love everything about my 505. It is my most book like device. I have caught myself readying to turn the page by the top corner or when I get up to answer the phone, sticking my finger between the cover and screen to mark my place. My wife reads hers so much that the other day when she had a pbook she tried to turn the pages by pressing with her left thumb.

My only complaint is the lack of dictionary support and I wish Sony would release software for the Mac. I never thought much about dictionary support until I used it on my Kindle.

The 505 is a beautiful and practical piece of tech.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #13
am_mread
Head Goat
am_mread is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Page turn buttons are on both sides. The left is on the Circle button. Oh wait.. did you mean that you wanted them to be the same as the ones on the right?
Yep, a little bit bigger and about the same level on both sides... Plus have some across the top. Just to make it easier to advance depending on your reading posture at the time (sometimes I'm in the weirdest positions).
am_mread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #14
Vanquiz
Vanquiz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I love my 505, thin, light, super sexy RED :P

I like the button on 505, with PRSCustomizer, I have the side, bottom left, and bottom right to flip the page.
Vanquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #15
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_mread View Post
Yep, a little bit bigger and about the same level on both sides... Plus have some across the top. Just to make it easier to advance depending on your reading posture at the time (sometimes I'm in the weirdest positions).
OK, I have this habit when I read. The words translate to pictures in my head..... humm.. I don't think I will say what that last sentence translated into and keep changing to as it did a slideshow trying to settle on a picture to fit the words (and context)

I do agree that the buttons for page turn could be a little bigger.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote