Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Interested in the Glo, but question about screen freezes

I'm very interested in the Glo because of its lighted screen. However, looking at the recent reviews of the Glo on Amazon, I am quite concerned about the reports of screens freezing and Kobo not replacing/repairing the units under warranty. See here: Glo reviews, newest to oldest.

Have any of you who have a Glo experienced such screen freezes and what support did Kobo offer?
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
From a quick scan of the reviews, most of them seem to be broken substrates. The substrate is a VERY thin piece of glass that makes up part of the e-ink screen. It is susceptible to breakage from direct impacts as well as from any twisting or bending of the device. Virtually ALL e-ink screens have this piece of glass and are susceptible to this. Lots of people that aren't aware of this put their reader in their purse/bag etc not realizing how fragile it is and when over time it stresses the screen and suddenly a temperature change (or just time) breaks it while it sits on the table overnight and they claim a defective product. Kindle may cover this as a good will gesture even though it is NOT covered under their warranty. Kobo doesn't have nearly as deep of pockets and therefore usually don't cover it. There have been a few cases I've seen here with screen problems that were not substrate breakage that Kobo has covered under warranty.
Long story short - treat your e-ink device reasonably and you shouldn't have a problem. I've owned a number of Kobo's since the original non-wifi version and never had a screen break, but I keep it in a hard wood/plexiglass case if I'm throwing in my luggage or something.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks for the reply, Robko. Does the broken substrate cause the Kobo Glo to freeze? To me they seem to be unconnected problems.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
Thanks for the reply, Robko. Does the broken substrate cause the Kobo Glo to freeze? To me they seem to be unconnected problems.
With a broken substrate, quite often, part of the screen will work, other parts won't. The key for spotting a broken substrate is looking for diagonal/curved lines on the screen.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
With a broken substrate, quite often, part of the screen will work, other parts won't. The key for spotting a broken substrate is looking for diagonal/curved lines on the screen.

Regards,
David
Ah ha, I gotcha. Thanks, David.
Advert