Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
First Law vs Game of Thrones

Ok, so I know the Thrones is epic and all, but I find Aberombie's First Law trilogy more fun to read. I am racing through the tales of the bloody nine again, enjoying it just as much the second time through.

Is anyone with me?

Do you have recommendations for a series as good as the First Law?
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:40 AM   #2
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Very much an apples vs coconuts comparison in my opinion. One is an epic High Fantasy series, the other an "intimate" tale of redemption and struggle. Both are excellent, but entirely too different to warrant any kind of direct comparison.

If you prefer a large canvas, you'll prefer Game of Thrones; if you prefer a smaller one, you'll go with First Law. If, like me, you like both, choosing between them will seem silly.

Last edited by Istvan diVega; 11-10-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 03:34 AM   #3
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I know what you mean OP. But in other sense, Martin and Abercrombie are two different beasts, not worth comparing. I love the character of BloodyNine btw, but my favorite is Major West.
Anyway most people who have read this trilogy will recommend you go on Abercrombie's standalones in order they were published. They happen in the same universe and feature some of the familiar characters. Here are the links

Best Served Cold (The First Law World #4)
I see Goodreads labels it as #4 in first law world, though the original series is labeled under "the first law" only.

Other two books are:
The Heroes
Red Country
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Which one do you consider High Fantasy, Istvan? I guess I wouldn't consider either in that category (not that the labels are all that relevant to enjoyment).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
Fascinating. If I am paying attention, I learn something every day. I was putting these two books into the same general, broad category.

I see the nuance now.

Thanks for the perspective!
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Doggone it. "First Law." Another one seems to have slipped past me.

I will check it out.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
They're both excellent. The main difference is that one is finished and the other either you or the author might die before the series finishes.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I find Abercrombie plays with or twists the genre more. Anti-heroes, sociopaths, and cripples (physical and emotional) rule his world. I think he is best read after getting a background in the genre so you can notice how many rules he twists.

GRRM seems more traditional in GoT, although with an enjoyable excess of characters (who you should not get attached to, lol).

I happen to like both. GoT is like a reading by a cozy fire while the First Law series (especially if you read past the trilogy) feels more 'real' and uncomfortable, IMO.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Which one do you consider High Fantasy, Istvan? I guess I wouldn't consider either in that category (not that the labels are all that relevant to enjoyment).
I was thinking of Game of Thrones. The reason I used the term High Fantasy was simply to help portray the difference between the two series, since an epic scope is among its general defining characteristics. In fact, as far as I can see GoT ticks basically every High Fantasy box. However, I'm not actually one to give a toss about classifications and genres; I only care if I like the book, so we're certainly in agreement there.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Haven't come across the "First Law" trilogy before. Looks right up my street - now on my TBR list.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #11
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
They're both excellent. The main difference is that one is finished and the other either you or the author might die before the series finishes.
Well that can be argued, but then I would go into spoiler territory. Besides, Abercrombie has said that he will continue The First Law world, with new trilogy. Not before he finishes his new YA novels, Half a King Series. So it's a wait.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #12
jemc
Quietly Lurking...
jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iDevices, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Haven't come across the "First Law" trilogy before. Looks right up my street - now on my TBR list.
Same here. Added as well. My thanks to the OP.
jemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Well that can be argued, but then I would go into spoiler territory. Besides, Abercrombie has said that he will continue The First Law world, with new trilogy. Not before he finishes his new YA novels, Half a King Series. So it's a wait.
Strange, I always thought that the first law series was a trilogy but other books are loosely based in the same world. In fact I started reading best served cold (standalone book) and it doesn’t make much difference if you have not read any of the books before or after for that matter. I can’t say anything about Game of Thrones as I have not read it.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I think the character introductions matter, making it useful to read them in the order he wrote them.

If you read "Best Served Cold" first then you have less understanding of the one who heals Monza (who his master was and more but ... becomes a spoiler). Vitari would also have no reference. Joe is still quite stingy with his background explanations. Same for how he introduces Caul Shivers in earlier books but Best Served Cold is more his origin story (and he is still only incidental to the protagonist!).

If you read Red Country before the trilogy you will be too unsympathetic to the captain of mercenaries, Cosca. You won't have any history with Black Dow or know why Gorst is so tortured by his loss of station.

Last edited by Penforhire; 11-11-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
If you read Red Country before the trilogy you will be too unsympathetic to the captain of mercenaries, Cosca.
As well as being completely ignorant of Lamb's back story. The trilogy may not be required reading for the three stand alones that follow, but you're sure missing out on the full effect if you haven't read it first.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote