Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Arthur C. Clarke dies at age 90

Nothing to say but that this is really sad.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Ok, actually I do have to something to say. I think reading 2001: A Space Odyssey was what really got me interested in reading sci-fi. I do remember it was one of the first books that I read all the way to the end. I was young, so that was a big deal to me. Also, I am the same age as Dave Bowman, so when I read that and realized that I would be the same age as him in the then future of 2001, I thought that was pretty cool.

Mr. Clarke was a great visionary and prolific writer. He'll be missed.

Last edited by tsgreer; 03-18-2008 at 07:29 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
How about a reference link - http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/book...rke/index.html
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
A great life, A great Man:

R.I.P. Clarke.....

and another reference from the BEEB:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7304004.stm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome View Post
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Ok, actually I do have to something to say. I think reading 2001: A Space Odyssey was what really got me interested in reading sci-fi. I do remember it was one of the first books that I read all the way to the end. I was young, so that was a big deal to me. Also, I am the same age as Dave Bowman, so when I read that and realized that I would be the same age as him in the then future of 2001, I thought that was pretty cool.

Mr. Clarke was a great visionary and prolific writer. He'll be missed.
For me it was "The Exploration of Space" - the first adult book I bought as a small child. It got me interested in science, sci-fi, and started me on a life long habit of book buying and reading.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
Jeff Duntemann
Enthusiast
Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3; also Moto G Stylus phone
I doubt I would ever have written my own science fiction if I hadn't grown up in the late 1960s reading his. Clarke, Asimov, Laumer, Niven, all of them alive and producing new material regularly...that was a helluva time to be a kid!
Jeff Duntemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:06 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ray Bradbury may have been the first SF author I read, but Arthur C. Clarke was absolutely my greatest influence. His style of writing and choice of subjects, both of which imparted a realism that most SF lacked at the time IMO, made his SF more than just escapism... his SF was the first that I'd read that I could honestly believe could happen. That was more inspiring to me than anything else.

I've always wished I could have visited him someday in Sri Lanka, even if it was just to worship at his feet.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505

Another of the great ones gone
The City and the Stars turned me on to sci-fi
Rendez-vous With Rama is one of my
favorite first contact novels
Thanx Mr Clarke
You'll be missed
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Sir Clarke you will be missed. I am glad we have the body of your work to continue to remember you by.

Last edited by Donnageddon; 03-18-2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:13 PM   #10
plantedbypiggies
oink!
plantedbypiggies doesn't litterplantedbypiggies doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150
Very sad news for the SF community. He will be missed.
plantedbypiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #11
Utahcowboy
Connoisseur
Utahcowboy is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen3
I had read other sci-fi books before 2001, but when I read it I sat back in my chair and thought, "wow, a sci fi book can't get better than this." And I still believe that even after reading dozens of sci-fi books since. There has never been a greater writer in that genre, and I doubt there ever will be - he is the Hemingway of sci-fi.

I hope that everything he envisioned comes true.
Utahcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:44 AM   #12
drkool
drkool began at the beginning.

Device: irex illiad
I had just taken up reading when I read 2001. It was such and amazing book..I can still remember how excited I was....It was as if something had changed inside me. Truly Mr. Clarke was a genius.

Rest In Peace Sir and know that generations to come will read your works and know you for the great visionary you were.
drkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:27 AM   #13
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I loved his books but after I would read a couple I found that I had to stop and read something else. There's something unusual about his writing that I could never put my finger on. Once I had recovered, I was always anxious to jump back in. I'd love to read some now but unfortunately Sony has only 6 or 7 of his titles available.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:35 AM   #14
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I am incredibly saddened to hear that Arthur C. Clarke has died. His name will be remembered as long as we ply the lanes of space.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:41 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The last of the "Grand Masters" of SF has now gone. A very sad day. Headline news on the BBC this morning - a very well-respected man. The BBC News obituary of him can be read here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote