Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Evthymios
Evthymios began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight, Kindle Paperwhite v1
Help - first device

Hello all. I've read several threads on this forum, but I'm still not edified on the matter.

Please give me an advice regarding on which first-device should I choose. I've read several specifications comparison, but I'm more interested in personal experiences, from current users.

First of all, I must say I'm not particularly interested in self-light function (marketed as PaperWhite, GlowLight or so) - although it isn't something to bother me. So I am not so interested in such comparisons.

Besides screen size and quality (Vizplex/Pearl/Carta), I'm especially interested in these 3 requirements: 1) a model able to display images (I have a collection of ancient photocopied books); 2) to have a functional browser (it's not clear for me if the current Kindle/Nook/Kobo models have this implemented); 3) a search function (ideally, a global one - or at least local one: to find a keyword in a ebook).

I don't really care for the supported formats, since I'm using mainly public domain or non-copyrighted text - generally, it would be an academic use.
Evthymios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Photocopied books are not going to display well on a 6" screen. You would be hard-pressed to read them.

Kindles have a functiional (though primitive) browser. They also have a search function that works globally.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Would you consider a tablet? They are quite useful for academic purposes. I use an iPad to deal with all my academic literature.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:29 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle is the only device I'm aware of which has global search. But you know that, given that your profile states that you already have a Kindle Paperwhite.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:01 AM   #5
Evthymios

@jojoba: I currently own a tablet, but I want a device with e-ink screen, since I read quite extensively and my eyes are strained by LCD screen.

@HarryT: I have a non-functional Kindle PW (a gift which I was unable to use, for reasons I detailed in another technical post on this forum), so, for practical reasons, I still consider myself to be at a first device.

How effective is Kindle's global search? How are the other readers (Nook and Kobo) performing in the search area? (Well, not necessarily a global search; I can accept, eventually, an in-file search).

Also, considering that I'm not particularly interested in light function, which device would you recommend me (since I understand, from my readings here, that the main complains seem to be about screen lighting)?

Last edited by Evthymios; 01-05-2014 at 06:06 AM.
Advert
Old 01-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For fiction, I'd recommend the Kindle PW. It's an excellent device with the latest generation "Carta" eInk screen. Amazon's bookstore is the best, and their customer service unparalleled. You say that you're not bothered about an illuminated screen, but it really does make all the difference in the world to the readability of the screen. I don't know of anyone who, having used a frontlit reader, would want to go back to a non-illuminated one. It's a completely different reading experience to an LCD screen.

For scanned books, however, you need a device with a screen that's at least as large as the scanned page size, and that really does mean a large-screen tablet.

The Kindle's global search works excellently.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For scanned books, however, you need a device with a screen that's at least as large as the scanned page size, and that really does mean a large-screen tablet.

The Kindle's global search works excellently.
Perhaps it's worth mentioning, just in case, that scanned pages won't be found in a text search. Unless, of course, they have had OCR done on them, and even then results will be patchy because OCR is imperfect. (And i'm not sure if Kindles index a text layer in a graphicals PDF.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evthymios View Post
Also, considering that I'm not particularly interested in light function, which device would you recommend me (since I understand, from my readings here, that the main complains seem to be about screen lighting)?
I would recommend a Kindle Touch. Excellent device, and it has the search capability you are looking for.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #9
Evthymios

Ok, so I give up the thought of reading photocopied books, also to use a browser.

So should I settle with a Kindle PaperWhite (£109)? Do the hardware and software make a notable difference from Nook Simple Touch GlowLight (£49)? Or would it worth to buy a Kobo Aura HD (£140), for just 0,8 inches more in screen estate?

Can anyone instruct me in differences? Are there any important ones - beyond manufacturer support (Amazon ecosystem vs. Barnes&Noble etc.)?

Last edited by Evthymios; 01-05-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would urge you to try to see them in person before deciding on which one. You should be able to find the Kobo readers at a large W H Smith, and Kindles can be found at branches of Waterstones.

I have a nook Simpletouch Glowlight, and it's OK, but the lighting is a bit uneven, and it's only 600x800 pixels.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #11
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
The new GlowLight (not sure if that's the one you're talking about) has 221 pixels per inch, the same as the Paperwhite. I find them to be pretty comparable, but if you're talking about the older GlowLight (the one that isn't white) then yeah it would have fewer ppi and uneven lighting.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
The new GlowLight (not sure if that's the one you're talking about) has 221 pixels per inch, the same as the Paperwhite. I find them to be pretty comparable, but if you're talking about the older GlowLight (the one that isn't white) then yeah it would have fewer ppi and uneven lighting.
Oh - thanks. I'd forgotten they had a new model out.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #13
Evthymios

Regarding Nook ST, how satisfied are you by the firmware - stability, features etc. - and, in general, by software support? Does it also have some sort of search, or it's a Kindle-only function?

Also: where can be found in UK the new GlowLight? Everyone seems to sell only the black one (the 167 pixels per inch model)...
Old 01-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evthymios View Post
Regarding Nook ST, how satisfied are you by the firmware - stability, features etc. - and, in general, by software support? Does it also have some sort of search, or it's a Kindle-only function?

Also: where can be found in UK the new GlowLight? Everyone seems to sell only the black one (the 167 pixels per inch model)...
I'll jump in here for just a second ... In my opinion the Nook Simple Touch has nicer features, especially its "Shelves" feature (and it also has search) than does my Kindle 4 (Non-Touch) and Kindle 3. (Of course it doesn't read to you, like the Kindle 3 (or Touch) will.) But they're all good in my opinion. All pretty solid and reliable. I don't use backlit screens (I'm too cheap!) -- usually try to read in the light, but I do have M-Edge cases with the M-Edge E-Luminator light. It works pretty well and I actually use it more than I thought I would.

As for the new Glowlights in the UK, I'm guessing they're not there yet. The only place you can get them in the U.S. (for now) is at Barnes & Noble.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't use backlit screens (I'm too cheap!) -- usually try to read in the light, but I do have M-Edge cases with the M-Edge E-Luminator light. It works pretty well and I actually use it more than I thought I would.
Please note that illuminated eInk screens are FRONTLIT, not BACKLIT. It's a totally different experience to a backlit LCD screen.