Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
kamanza
Zealot
kamanza began at the beginning.

Device: none
My problem with the spell check.

Admittedly, spell check is a useful function but i have a few issues with it.
First a minor one: it often marks some completely legitimate words (starling, bedmate, playmaker and even epigraph just come to mind).
The second is quite annoying: in the code view, if i try to paste something next to a marked word, it just deletes the word and substitutes whatever I try to paste.So i have to leave a space next to the culprit and delete the space after pasting. In a book containing many outlandish names it becomes quite time and energy consuming. I would very much like this feature of automatic substitution to disappear or at least an option to turn it off.I would be very grateful if somebody has a solution for this problem.
kamanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanza View Post
The second is quite annoying: in the code view, if i try to paste something next to a marked word, it just deletes the word and substitutes whatever I try to paste.So i have to leave a space next to the culprit and delete the space after pasting. In a book containing many outlandish names it becomes quite time and energy consuming. I would very much like this feature of automatic substitution to disappear or at least an option to turn it off.I would be very grateful if somebody has a solution for this problem.
Huh.. I hadn't noticed that. I can duplicate it though. It seems to be highlighting the misspelled word when you right-click directly to the right or left of the word in question. Since it's highlighted, the subsequent "paste" then naturally replaces it.

I don't use the right-click menu for pasting myself, so that's why I never noticed it. I place the cursor immediately before or after the misspelled word (or any word for that matter) with a left-click and then paste with ctrl-v.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I have made use of that functionality.
Find (replace from clipboard).
IMHO it is working as expected. Replacing Selected text.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks
IMHO it is working as expected. Replacing Selected text.
To be fair, the text isn't previously selected, though. It automatically becomes selected/highlighted when the OP right-clicks in the space immediately to the right or the left of the underlined, misspelled word.

If that's the intentional, expected behavior... that's cool. I just want to make sure everybody's talking about the same thing.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-02-2012 at 08:58 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
kamanza
Zealot

Quote:
I don't use the right-click menu for pasting myself, so that's why I never noticed it. I place the cursor immediately before or after the misspelled word (or any word for that matter) with a left-click and then paste with ctrl-v.
Thanks for the suggestion, DiapDealer. I knew about ctrl+v but somehow never used it - I'm a "mouse" person by inclination - and i realize now that it is counterproductive.
So, thanks to you, I start trying to change my bad habits from now on.
Advert
Old 06-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
There is no reason it should work the way it does, but it has been that way for a while. Hopefully when the new text editor is installed, it will not select text that was not previously selected.

It is just annoying...as long as you remember. Fortunately, it does undo.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I'm a "mouse" person by inclination - and i realize now that it is counterproductive.
I guess you can also click on the Edit menu and then paste, instead of right-click. (Or switch to Linux, where you can middle-click to paste directly.)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion, DiapDealer. I knew about ctrl+v but somehow never used it - I'm a "mouse" person by inclination - and i realize now that it is counterproductive.
So, thanks to you, I start trying to change my bad habits from now on.
This problem bothered me as well. Since I don't use the spell checker, I just turned it off.
(Edit> Preferences> Spell Check> Dictionary=None)

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
It was simple enough to fix, so let's see if it makes it into the release.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
kamanza
Zealot

To continue with the direction in which DiapDealer's post has turned me, I was searching the net for info on hot keys and customization possibilities and i found this great little app that allows you to make something like macros to be used in Sigil: AutoHotkey.
Now i have shortcuts for most frequently used HTML tags, like
</p> <p class="xxx">; <i> </i>, etc. and i'm still learning other possibilities.
I hope somebody finds this information useful.

http://www.autohotkey.com/