Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2007, 12:48 PM   #16
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
From what I got with mine, I don't think you are correct.

The fancy white box came in a protective cardboard sleeve. On the bottom of the box was the SN of my device. he most likely way they did it was scan the shipping slip, scan the box, and place both in shipping box. I doubt that the info was loaded directly. It was probably sent over the Whispernet.
But it arrived powered off. At the very least that means someone had to switch it off and box it.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
But it arrived powered off. At the very least that means someone had to switch it off and box it.
Not necessarily. That was likely done at the factory.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2007, 12:59 PM   #18
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Not necessarily. That was likely done at the factory.
Ah, duh. Makes sense why the first boot is so long. Loads personalization then. So all they really need to do is correlate the serial number to your order. So one extra step. Still a slow down in the packing process, though. That's why I think in the first day we saw the time creeping up a week. I think the batch coming Dec. 3 is probably a second shipment from the factory.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:30 PM   #19
davec67
davec67 began at the beginning.

scarecity breeds demand

My bet is that amazon deliberately had little volume available precisely so that they could issue a press release saying that demand had sold them out in a few hours. This is a well known (and worn) marketing ploy where making something scarce makes more people want it.

The real measure of how popular this is if in 6 months time it is still hard to get ( like the wii) or if it is easily available and at 1/2 the price which is my bet.
davec67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:43 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbax View Post
And yeah, it's probably hard for PVI in Taiwan to keep up with the E-Ink screen production no matter how much money Amazon is paying them upfront. The factories making those E-Ink screens probably simply aren't big enough to produce E-Ink screens in quantities of millions, probably that current factories have a capacity limit of some hundred thousands a year.
Is this PVI a public company? Perhaps time to buy some of it's stock!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #21
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Is this PVI a public company? Perhaps time to buy some of it's stock!

BOb
Yeah, they are traded on the Taiwan stock exchange. See:

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=TPO%3A8069
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=8069.TWO
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=8069.TWO&t=1y

Their stock price is up some several hundred percent y-o-y.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:53 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think the reason the Kindle is sold out is the fact that screens cannot be made fast enough. Remember, they have to make screens for the 505, Gen3, Kindle, V3, Nuut, and a few others. All the same 6" Vizplex screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:26 PM   #23
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Regarding the Amazon packing process, I'm pretty sure they scan the barcode of each item they pack already, so scanning the serial number doesn't add much, if anything to the packing process.

My guess is that they had a production problem that could have caused a delay in the launch, but they'd already pushed as far into the holiday shopping season as they dared, so they launched anyway, even knowing they'd run out quickly. With the amount of marketing they've put behind the Kindle, I can't imagine they lacked confidence that it would sell.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:51 PM   #24
alphasun
alphasun began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia
Quote:

The fancy white box came in a protective cardboard sleeve. On the bottom of the box was the SN of my device.
I wonder can we guess the production run from the serial number?
alphasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
I also think it may have something to do with the Kindle being on the cover of Newsweek, on Good Morning America, NPR, CBS News, etc.
I still think the front page of Amazon was the biggest exposure for them.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #26
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage and iPhone 8 Plus
Personalization

Quote:

The fancy white box came in a protective cardboard sleeve. On the bottom of the box was the SN of my device. he most likely way they did it was scan the shipping slip, scan the box, and place both in shipping box. I doubt that the info was loaded directly. It was probably sent over the Whispernet.

When I turned my Kindle on for the first time, it would not connect to Whispernet and was not personalized. After restarting a few times, the unit finally connected and personalized itself.
AintLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLDS View Post
When I turned my Kindle on for the first time, it would not connect to Whispernet and was not personalized. After restarting a few times, the unit finally connected and personalized itself.
Yes, that was a problem inside Amazon's servers. It happened to me too.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:59 PM   #28
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage and iPhone 8 Plus
Personalization

Quote:
Yes, that was a problem inside Amazon's servers. It happened to me too.
Maybe, but I had no EVDO connection, no bars just the '?" for service. I live in a very rural area so for a minute I thought I was screwed, even though the maps show we have coverage. I went outside and reset twice and finally got a connection. I now routinely get full bars.

Servers went down? What happened there?
AintLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #29
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLDS View Post
Maybe, but I had no EVDO connection, no bars just the '?" for service. I live in a very rural area so for a minute I thought I was screwed, even though the maps show we have coverage. I went outside and reset twice and finally got a connection. I now routinely get full bars.

Servers went down? What happened there?
I don't know exactly what the problem was. I got a call later that day from customer service. They explained that there had been a problem, and they wanted to make sure that my Kindle was working properly. It worked just fine by that point.

Last edited by Nate the great; 11-23-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:56 AM   #30
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Come on Guys! It is pretty clear that the aliens are buying these up. Paper books are too bulky and heavy to take back to the home planet! There is only so much room in the 'ole saucer! <g>
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote