Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 05-09-2007, 04:50 AM   #1
AceHarddrive
Enthusiast
AceHarddrive began at the beginning.

Device: Tapwave Zodiac 2
Question Problem downloading .lit books from certain sites!

Hello all!

It seems that since some sites that offer books in .lit format, the only way to get them is to have MS Reader already on your PC. Unfortunately, it seems I cannot activate my copy of MSReader since it the site keeps telling me to go back and try again (or something). It won't let me d/l the ActiveX control.
Anyhoo, is there a way to purchase/download these .lit books from these sites without having an activated copy of MSReader? Some books I have found only come in MSReader format.

~Tim ^_^
AceHarddrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I have had problems with MSReader - it won't let me open my secure books if I have my external US drive switched on. If it's switched off everything works okay.

You cannot access secure Lit books unless you have activated your MS reader program.

I suggest you disconnect or switch off all devices containing a hard disk, including a PCMCIA hard disk and any network or external USB drives, that are connected to your computer before you start.

Make sure you use your correct passport or Hotmail account details.
If you still have problems delete your browser cache. (temporary internet files and cookies).

If you still have problems uninstall MS Reader and then delete the MSReader folder (C:\Program Files\Micrososft Reader) reboot and start again.

If you still have problems, get a new passport account and start over again.
However, you won't have access to any books purchased with another passport account.

I don't know if it still applies, but it used to be the rule that you could not activate the reader more than twice. If you experienced problems after this you had to get a new passport account. I overcome this potential problem by using Acronis to make a disk image of my C drive (this also overcomes the problem of having to re-activate WindowsXP should the operating system become corrupted).

Good luck.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
RE: Registering MS Reader

One thing to check out is whether you need to shut off your firewall during the MS Reader registration process. I know that I had to do so when installing the most recent version of MS Reader on my Dell Axim. If that solves your problem, please remember to restart your firewall before doing anything else. And if you can get your ebooks in other formats and have a copy of Word 2000 you can install WordRMR into Word and turn HTML, Word .DOC and .RTF documents into MS Reader .lit files.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceHarddrive
Hello all!

It seems that since some sites that offer books in .lit format, the only way to get them is to have MS Reader already on your PC. Unfortunately, it seems I cannot activate my copy of MSReader since it the site keeps telling me to go back and try again (or something). It won't let me d/l the ActiveX control.
Anyhoo, is there a way to purchase/download these .lit books from these sites without having an activated copy of MSReader? Some books I have found only come in MSReader format.

~Tim ^_^
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
AceHarddrive
Enthusiast
AceHarddrive began at the beginning.

Device: Tapwave Zodiac 2
Cool

I tried all that. I got nowhere. What I do with .lit books is to run them through ABC Amber LIT Converter to convert it to HTML, then run that through Sunrise to make it a Plucker document. I guess I'll just forget about MSReader.

Thanks anyway!
~Tim ^_^
AceHarddrive is offline   Reply With Quote