Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Owning both a Kindle and a Sony, I do find that the Kindle's dictionaries are considerably more comprehensive, both in terms of the words included, and the fullness of the definitions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #32
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Owning both a Kindle and a Sony, I do find that the Kindle's dictionaries are considerably more comprehensive, both in terms of the words included, and the fullness of the definitions.
And yet they are the exact same dictionaries ... or so they claim. It could be a software issue rather than a database one.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #33
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
And yet they are the exact same dictionaries ... or so they claim. It could be a software issue rather than a database one.
Same? Right down to the edition/version? (eg, there could easily be a dozen different electronic versions of the OED out there)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #34
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuma6666 View Post
Thanks for the fast reply, that's exactly what I was looking for.
Well the french dictionary doesn't seem like anything special (no name for it). But the oxford is a good one from what I know. And besides, I really don't care at all for the french dic, I won't use it much.

Now to find the same for the nook
I can confirm what Harry just wrote.

The french dic is the Littré, so it is something really, really good. The spanish is the Real Academia one, so again, really, really good. The Kindle Dictionaries are, as far as I am concerned, using 4 (english, french, spanish and german) topnotch. I read lots of books, I have been using e-readers for years, and I use dictionaries extensively.

And nope, having had also a sony prs-T1 I can confirm they are NOT the same dictionaries, which is the reason why I stopped using my sony. I converted all my books to the kindle format, and yes it was a pain but I did it little by little and I do not regret it at all.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #35
kazuma6666
Enthusiast
kazuma6666 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook OPUS, Kindle paperwhite
Well I ordered the paperwhite yesterday in the US using viaddress. I'll have to pay a fee to get it shipped here, but all in all it should be similar to the normal price in euros. the 119$ price converts to around 95 euros and I'll have to pay around 30-35$ to have it shipped.

I pray that I'll get a good one because returning it will be a pain.
kazuma6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well I ordered the paperwhite yesterday in the US using viaddress. I'll have to pay a fee to get it shipped here, but all in all it should be similar to the normal price in euros. the 119$ price converts to around 95 euros and I'll have to pay around 30-35$ to have it shipped.

I pray that I'll get a good one because returning it will be a pain.
I'm hope you're as pleased with the Paperwhite as I am with mine. An excellent reader.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #37
kazuma6666
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hey there,

I've been reading a lot of reviews lately and I'm sick of them all saying : but it's not as good as the nook/kindle. The kindle only supports the amazon format, and I don't like that. The nook supports epub and pdf. and that's it. Not enough!

Ok they are quite inexpensive. But the fact that they are closed is a dealbreaker for me.

I've read tons of reviews and I really don't like their point of view. Lot's of reviewers says that the tablet is as good. Heresy! I'm a programmer I stay on my screen all day, when I read I want an eink screen. Why did we ever bother to invent this technology.

Well this is not only a rant, but I needed one because of all those reviews. My point is this : Usually when I read a review of a product, The author will always refer to the winner in that category for them. But in the case of ereaders, their judgement is completely flawed. What's important for me :
reading a book easily (screen quality, button to turn pages), a good dictionary, large format support.

I have ebooks in doc, txt, epub, mobi, lit formats.
As of now, my two choices are cybook odyssey and sony PRS-T2. They are a bit on the expensive side but it is not (too much of) a problem for me. I've also been a cybook opus user for 3+ years now so I'm comfortable with bookeen.

Now is there any other device I should consider? I heard about pocketbook not so long ago, but they seem a bit pricier. Looking forward to your input

I wouldn't write a post like this usually, but I'm sick of reviews saying I should buy the nook or kindle.
It's funny the way things goes. I came here to vent my anger at kindle/nook, and at the end I'm buying the newest kindle. Heh.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #38
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Hey there,

I've been reading a lot of reviews lately and I'm sick of them all saying : but it's not as good as the nook/kindle. The kindle only supports the amazon format, and I don't like that. The nook supports epub and pdf. and that's it. Not enough!

Ok they are quite inexpensive. But the fact that they are closed is a dealbreaker for me.

I've read tons of reviews and I really don't like their point of view. Lot's of reviewers says that the tablet is as good. Heresy! I'm a programmer I stay on my screen all day, when I read I want an eink screen. Why did we ever bother to invent this technology.

Well this is not only a rant, but I needed one because of all those reviews. My point is this : Usually when I read a review of a product, The author will always refer to the winner in that category for them. But in the case of ereaders, their judgement is completely flawed. What's important for me :
reading a book easily (screen quality, button to turn pages), a good dictionary, large format support.

I have ebooks in doc, txt, epub, mobi, lit formats.
As of now, my two choices are cybook odyssey and sony PRS-T2. They are a bit on the expensive side but it is not (too much of) a problem for me. I've also been a cybook opus user for 3+ years now so I'm comfortable with bookeen.

Now is there any other device I should consider? I heard about pocketbook not so long ago, but they seem a bit pricier. Looking forward to your input

I wouldn't write a post like this usually, but I'm sick of reviews saying I should buy the nook or kindle.
It's totally dated and hard to find.
But BeBook One came with native support for the lit format. I liked it for that. Yes, you can use calibre to convert. But quite frankly, I never liked to convert hundreds of books. If you start to convert, you might check the metadata, change the cover and stuff. And suddenly you need 5 minutes per book.
BeBook One didn't have a Graphite display, but still a surprisingly good contrast.
Just a thought, to bring something exotic and unique to the table.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #39
kazuma6666
Enthusiast

And I got my Paperwhite

I'm very happy with it. I don't see any problem with my screen, maybe I'm lucky.

Looking forward to begin a new book tonight on it!

Thanks for all the info you all gave me here, wouldn't have gotten this kindle without your input.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Hope you enjoy it!
Old 12-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #41
kazuma6666
Enthusiast

Quote:
For the Kindle, by the way, the new "KF8" format is much to be preferred over the old "Mobi" format. It's a much "richer" format, and will convert seamlessly to and from ePub.
I don't see the KF8 format on calibre. I have the latest version. How do I convert to KF8?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Calibre calls it "AWZ3"; it's the same thing. Also, make sure that you go to the device interface configuration in Calibre, edit the Kindle interface, and enable the "AWZ3" check box so it'll send KF8, rather than Mobi, to the Kindle.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #43
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
The kindle dictionary really is excellent. It wasn't until I used the dictionary on the kobo glo that I realised just how good the dictionary on the kindle is and how much I like it. The kobo is more atractive on the surface (different colours, quilted back), but after I used it for a while, I came to appreciate the Kindle's appreance more. I think the build quality of the kindle is better or at least it feels better. I'm not sure about the user interface on the kobo in the long term. The screen was also not as resposive as I would have liked over the course of reading a whole book.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #44
kazuma6666
Enthusiast

Quote:
Calibre calls it "AWZ3"; it's the same thing. Also, make sure that you go to the device interface configuration in Calibre, edit the Kindle interface, and enable the "AWZ3" check box so it'll send KF8, rather than Mobi, to the Kindle.

Hmm, I don't find "device interface configuration" in the preferences of calibre. Where am I supposed to find it?

Edit : ok found it when I reconnected my kindle. There I can see device in the toolbar and I can get to configuration.

I converted my books to AWZ3 and it seems to work. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The other way to get to it is "Preferences / Plugins / Device Plug-ins". Doesn't need to be connected to get to it that way.