Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
Dekadez
Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
To wait or not to wait.

Hey guys,

I'm considering buying my first e-reader tomorrow, the Kobo Touch. It's the only one available in any store in my neighborhood, and since it seems to be a fairly good one I'm content with it.

However, I just read the main page of Mobileread, announcing the Kobo Glo.

Do I often read in the dark? Yes and no. I've got a special reading light above my bed and bus/train have lighting on at all times during my early morning commutes.

The thing that matters most then: Is the Kobo Glo that much of an upgrade over the Kobo Touch that I should wait for the Glo?
Dekadez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I think you'd be better to wait for the Kobo Glo to be released (I don't know where you live but the new Kobo's are supposed to get a worldwide release in October).

As well as having a higher resolution screen, the battery life looks like it might be slightly improved over the Kobo Touch, and of course it has the light so you don't ever need to worry about having enough light where you are reading.

Of course the Touch will be cheaper, but I think it'd be worth your while waiting for a few weeks until the Glo is released and at least checking out the feedback from people who buy one. Then you'll have a better idea of whether or not you'll be happy with the Touch and not buy one then wish you'd waited for the Glo.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
If you can wait, I would suggest you wait. I have the Nook Glow and I find the light very useful. Even in locations with ambient light, like public transport, the illumination is usually rather poor and having the embedded light on your reader is extremely useful.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:52 AM   #4
Dekadez
Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dekadez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can wait and it seems like the sensible thing to do.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Yeah, wait. A light is a must-have for an ereader. I have a Sony and think they are the best devices, but the video of the new Kindle 'glow' has for the first time ever left a little hole inside me.

Mind you, Kobo is notorious for releasing devices that need lots of firmware upgrades after release. Expect hiccups that will gradually get fixed. But I would still get for the glow.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Dekadez

One more month it seems. They are trying my patience
Old 10-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
Hey guys,

I'm considering buying my first e-reader tomorrow, the Kobo Touch. It's the only one available in any store in my neighborhood, and since it seems to be a fairly good one I'm content with it.

However, I just read the main page of Mobileread, announcing the Kobo Glo.

Do I often read in the dark? Yes and no. I've got a special reading light above my bed and bus/train have lighting on at all times during my early morning commutes.

The thing that matters most then: Is the Kobo Glo that much of an upgrade over the Kobo Touch that I should wait for the Glo?
What type of books do you read? Do you usually buy ebooks or read free ones? How much are you willing to spend on the device itself?

My suggestion is check ebook prices and titles (if you are planning to buy ebooks) Having a solid company behind your hardware, and a decent online store, is key! If something goes wrong with your hardware, you won't invest endless hours on the phone in order to get a replacement.

My 1st ereader was a Nook. But I mainly buy SQL books. It was an ok reader (at that time) but the inability to find titles and not able to use landscape, makes the ereader useless. So I bought a Kindle, later an iPad, and happy with that combo.

So check ebook prices and titles. And if the company with the online store sells ereaders as well, it makes more sense to buy their own hardware as well.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
Dekadez

Kindle and Nook availability in my country is iffy. Basically I have Sony, Kobo and BeBook to choose from.

I already own an iPad so I am looking for a pure e-reader for both at home and during my daily commutes. Money is not a factor in my decision.

Kind of books? Mostly free, but the store is not a factor either. Side loading capability and ease is.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Kindle and Nook availability in my country is iffy. Basically I have Sony, Kobo and BeBook to choose from.

I already own an iPad so I am looking for a pure e-reader for both at home and during my daily commutes. Money is not a factor in my decision.

Kind of books? Mostly free, but the store is not a factor either. Side loading capability and ease is.
Go Sony ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:12 AM   #10
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Dekadez while I agree that the Kobo Glo sounds great, I've recently bought a Kobo Touch and I love it. To my mind the only problem is the dullness of the pages in some lighting so I've just bought a cover with a light and it's made all the difference.
The light is one of those square ones that slips in between the device and
the cover. and it really does the job. If you want I could send you a link.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
Dekadez

That would be lovely.

The only reason I'm delaying my Kobo Touch purchase for a Kobo Glo is because of the built-in light.

But I can wait some more, I've got plenty of books lying around that need reading too
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
That would be lovely.

The only reason I'm delaying my Kobo Touch purchase for a Kobo Glo is because of the built-in light.

But I can wait some more, I've got plenty of books lying around that need reading too
Are you in Canada? All Chapters/Indigo/Coles/Smithbooks stores should now have them in stock, as should every Best Buy and Future Shop. If you're in the UK, every WHSmith should have one now.

I got a Kobo Glo and so far I'm *very* happy with it.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
About built-in light for those who never touched an e-ink device: it's essential.

As the e-reader is opaque, and not transparent as a piece of paper, the light has to be directly over it so you can read well. Worst: if it's a touch one, especially with IR (depressed screen), your finger position will determine the readibily or not.

Better to go with built-in light if you can choose, or you'll have to constantly fight with light and finger position.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #14
Dekadez

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
Are you in Canada? All Chapters/Indigo/Coles/Smithbooks stores should now have them in stock, as should every Best Buy and Future Shop. If you're in the UK, every WHSmith should have one now.

I got a Kobo Glo and so far I'm *very* happy with it.
Alas, Belgium.

But I'm going to London next week, so I'm going to try finding one there.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #15
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Alas, Belgium.

But I'm going to London next week, so I'm going to try finding one there.
Good luck , I've got a Glo and it's the best ereader I've had so far because I can now read in any situation. I have a M-Edge case/light for my Kindle and the built in light with the Glo blows it away. Lighting is even and no shadows from the light or difficulty getting it to sit just right to light my book.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote