Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #346
lucasdt
lucasdt began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Hi mates,
I've just got my Nook Touch in Argentina (my father brought it to me from a B&N store in USA) and I could register it and buy books (from my PC) using a US shipping & billing address (I took one from a hotel by googling), my local argentinian credit card and using HotspotShield.
Just wanted to say that it is posible to have the Nook outside the US, you can buy books anywhere with a valid US address (from your computer, don't know if you can do it from the Nook itself), your own valid credit card and some VPN service that "fakes" your location.
If you can't do it, you must be doing something wrong. Please be patient and keep trying. Pay attention to every step and you'll be fine
If you try and try and still can't get it to work, fell free to PM me.
Regards from Argentina,
Lucas
lucasdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #347
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I also bought a Nook recently in the US. And in the US I could buy books with an invalid address. But maybe they do not check it directly.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #348
oldehappycat
oldehappycat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Question Newspapers and Magazines

I think I understand about how to buy Nook content outside of the USA; US credit card and VPN.

But how about newspapers? I live on a Philippine island. Foreign newspapers are completely unavailable. I'd like to buy a Nook subscription to the Financial Times.

Since newspapers have to be downloaded every day, does that mean that I have to use VPN every day to download my paper? When I travel away from my home and my VPN connection I can't get my paper? Or, once the subscription is purchased no problem with the daily downloads?

Has anyone tried a Nook subscription outside the US?

BTW, no problem with Kindle for international subscriptions as long as you have a US credit card.
oldehappycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #349
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldehappycat View Post
I think I understand about how to buy Nook content outside of the USA; US credit card and VPN.

But how about newspapers? I live on a Philippine island. Foreign newspapers are completely unavailable. I'd like to buy a Nook subscription to the Financial Times.

Since newspapers have to be downloaded every day, does that mean that I have to use VPN every day to download my paper? When I travel away from my home and my VPN connection I can't get my paper? Or, once the subscription is purchased no problem with the daily downloads?

Has anyone tried a Nook subscription outside the US?

BTW, no problem with Kindle for international subscriptions as long as you have a US credit card.
There is only an IP-address check when buying things, not when downloading them. If you buy a subscription you can download every new copy anywhere in the world. I have used a magazine subscription here in the Netherlands without a problem.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #350
oldehappycat
oldehappycat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
There is only an IP-address check when buying things, not when downloading them. If you buy a subscription you can download every new copy anywhere in the world. I have used a magazine subscription here in the Netherlands without a problem.
Whew! That's good news! Thanks for your help.
oldehappycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #351
mikeesnz
mikeesnz began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahC View Post
Hate to tell you, but you cannot purchase anything from B&N for the Nook from overseas. I have a US address, a US credit card, and have tons of store credit loaded onto my account, and I can't purchase ANYTHING from B&N because I am in New Zealand. Apparently they must be able to tell from my IP address that I am currently overseas. I have tried to purchase books and apps, and everything has been cancelled. B&N have not replied to my email saying I live both in USA and New Zealand. I'm really ticked off about this as I purchased the Nook Colour in-store at B&N in Orange, California, as it was highly rated in Consumer Reports. No one said that it wouldn't do me any good overseas!
I also live in NZ & have The Touch working fine. Hope yours is also now.
Unless you configure your router you will not be able to use the Nook directly to purchase books,. I use both B & N & also Kobo to get books onto the PC & then load to the reader.
1) I use Hide MY IP and select a US IP address
2) Register with B & N with any US address
3)Install Calibre
4)get DRM removal tools from Alfs Blog
5) Load the plugins into Calibre per instructions
6) Purchase & download the book to the PC
7)Load to Calibre
8)Download the Metadata into calibre (summary & Cover)
9) convert epub to Epub, Under structure detection tick the box for insert metadata. (This will then show the front cover & summary in the ereader)
10) load to Ereader
11) BACK UP THE BOOKS TO ANOTHER HARD DRIVE
12) Delete the Book from B & N (Will stop the book showing twice if you connect wirelessly (I don't)
mikeesnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #352
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeesnz View Post
I also live in NZ & have The Touch working fine. Hope yours is also now.
Unless you configure your router you will not be able to use the Nook directly to purchase books,. I use both B & N & also Kobo to get books onto the PC & then load to the reader.
1) I use Hide MY IP and select a US IP address
2) Register with B & N with any US address
3)Install Calibre
4)get DRM removal tools from Alfs Blog
5) Load the plugins into Calibre per instructions
6) Purchase & download the book to the PC
7)Load to Calibre
8)Download the Metadata into calibre (summary & Cover)
9) convert epub to Epub, Under structure detection tick the box for insert metadata. (This will then show the front cover & summary in the ereader)
10) load to Ereader
11) BACK UP THE BOOKS TO ANOTHER HARD DRIVE
12) Delete the Book from B & N (Will stop the book showing twice if you connect wirelessly (I don't)
If you buy your books from B&N there is no need for steps 3 until 12.
Just buy your books from the B&N website using your PC (register with an US address and use a VPN), than sync the library on your Nook to download the books using Wifi.

Other good VPN's to use are Hotspot Shield (free) and AlwaysVPN ($8.50).
Old 11-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #353
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
If you buy your books from B&N there is no need for steps 3 until 12.
Just buy your books from the B&N website using your PC (register with an US address and use a VPN), than sync the library on your Nook to download the books using Wifi.

Other good VPN's to use are Hotspot Shield (free) and AlwaysVPN ($8.50).

I have read reports all over the internet that the FREE version of Hotspot Shield is very dangerous due to being adware-based.

Here's one site for more information:

http://www.thesecurityblog.com/2010/...80%99s-adware/

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #354
edent
Enthusiast
edent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Likebook Ares, Kindle 3G, Nook STR, 511eb
Just to say, I bought a Nook when I was in the US. I registered over there (well, I already had an account, so used that). Haven't used a credit card to buy anything, yet.

The Nook uses ePub, so it works with most international stores. In the UK you can use Waterstones, WHSmiths, etc. You're not limited to a single store like you are with Amazon.

I purchased the device (in store) with a UK credit card. I may try registering the card but, to be honest, with credit card exchange rate fees it would probably be cheaper to buy a UK ePub.

T
edent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #355
julius537
julius537 began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
tutorial on how to download from B&N from outside the US

Downloading B&N books from anywhere in the world is a piece of cake. I have used below tutorial and download the books straight onto my Nook:

How to order a Nook and download books from Barnes and Noble
julius537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #356
McAber
McAber began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Unable to process order?

I registrered with borderlinx. Used Hotspot Shield when placing my order (doublechecked that my ip was indeed coming from US). Used my borderlinx US address for shipping and billing. Then I entered my (swedish) credit card. The order went through, BUT, when I check my order on B&N it just says:

Unable to process order. Please call 1-877-379-0036, or 212-414-6024, if outside U.S.

Is it the fact that I used a swedish credit card? I haven´t seen anyone else having this problem in the thread? I did everything right.
McAber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #357
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAber View Post
I registrered with borderlinx. Used Hotspot Shield when placing my order (doublechecked that my ip was indeed coming from US). Used my borderlinx US address for shipping and billing. Then I entered my (swedish) credit card. The order went through, BUT, when I check my order on B&N it just says:

Unable to process order. Please call 1-877-379-0036, or 212-414-6024, if outside U.S.

Is it the fact that I used a swedish credit card? I haven´t seen anyone else having this problem in the thread? I did everything right.
There is a note underneath item 3:

"NOTE: Recently, the B&N credit card audit department sends out an email after the order has been placed, saying: 'your attention is required...'. This is email is automatically sent by the B&N system as it recognizes that there were already so many Nooks shipped to this address. If this happens to you, just get in touch with B&N. They have no issue with 'freight forwarders', all you need to do is verify the order. ".
Old 11-16-2011, 04:41 AM   #358
Sarthak
Sarthak began at the beginning.

Device: none
Arrow prospective buyer

I live in Nepal and want a ereader,,i think i will get my brother to nuy one for me in the US in his name and on his credit card and i will use it in nepal. I can access loads of books ( i think illegally ) in the net so wont be spending or borrowing books from amazon/ B&N stores. I havent have any ebook till now so thats what i plan to do,,download on my computer use usb to transfer and start reading?
I'd like u guys to find the flaw in my simple plan and mention any disadvantages that might occur to me if i follow the above plan.. and i've not been able to make up my mind on Nook touch/ Kindle touch,,so i'd like a bit help on that one too
Sarthak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:49 AM   #359
McAber
McAber began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
There is a note underneath item 3:

"NOTE: Recently, the B&N credit card audit department sends out an email after the order has been placed, saying: 'your attention is required...'. This is email is automatically sent by the B&N system as it recognizes that there were already so many Nooks shipped to this address. If this happens to you, just get in touch with B&N. They have no issue with 'freight forwarders', all you need to do is verify the order. ".
A little update: Three days later or so I checked my order at B&N again, and it was suddenly shipped. The items are on it´s way. So if anyone has the same problem, give it a couple of days. (Clarification: I never called them)

Last edited by McAber; 11-18-2011 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Clarification
McAber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:50 AM   #360
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative
firefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enough

Device: Barnes & Noble NOOKclassic
Well, if it's illegal, that's just a bit of a big flaw.
Also, we don't tolerate piracy in any way on MobileRead, I'd be careful if I were you.
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas