Notices

Old 05-23-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
Gene Healy
Gene Healy began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 / Kobo Aura
Newbie questions

Totally new to ereaders.

Just bought a new Kobo Aura.

Have also a Nexus 7 Tablet. I downloaded and used Calibre on my Win7Pro 64bit Desktop to read epubs and to transfer the epub to the tablet.

With the arrival of the Kobo, I need to install something simple and very easy to use on my wife's Win7 32bit laptop. Was thinking to install the Kobo desktop there, especially as she is much more likely to purchase online and download to the kobo.

It was suggested that I download the Kobo Utilities for Calibre for my use with the desktop (Which I have but not yet installed.)

Are there other plugins I might want for the desktop? And if we use the Kobo desktop on the wife's laptop, will I have or cause any issues using Calibre with the Kobo utilities from my desktop?

Appreciate all the advise and suggestions. And please realize I am a noob so answers with out a lot of technical buzzwords would be appreciated
I'm still trying to figure out what 'kepup' and 'side-loaded' mean

Thanks

Gene
Gene Healy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Congratulations!
Sideloading is transfering books to ereader via pc so you have already done that, just with tablet.
Is there reason for kobo desktop? Calibre is great for book managing and I don't know if you already have ADE?( which would be good to have especialy if there is library around)
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
kePub is a Kobo-ized ePub with some Kobo specific code in it. Kobo devices have some extra features (such as reading stats) when using a kePub from Kobo. There is also a Kobo Touch Extended device plugin in Calibre which can have Calibre auto-convert ePub's to kePub's as they are sent to a Kobo device.

kePub's are downloaded directly to a Kobo device or to the Kobo Desktop & apps. Kobo also usually has the option to download an ePub version (or rarely a PDF or no download) from the Library section on their website which you may already know.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
What danicca and AnemicOak said! Kobo Desktop is a mess, and I would recommend avoiding it. If the book you want from Kobo has DRM on it and you don't want to strip that, you can buy the book from Kobo in your web browser, then go one of two ways:

1. Connect your Kobo to your wifi network and Sync, and the book (in kepub form) will download directly to the device.

OR

2. Click the "ADOBE DRM EPUB" link in your browser after buying, download the epub with Adobe Digital Editions, then use ADE to put the book onto the Kobo device. Note that unfortunately not all books have the epub download option.

Alternately, you can google Apprentice Alf and go that way, which will mean (a) you can buy books from wherever you like; and (b) your books will remain available to you if/when Kobo falls over (as all businesses will eventually, no matter how robust they are now). Once set up this is very simple to use and shouldn't be avoided for reasons of complexity, only for other reasons, if you find them compelling.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote