Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
johnwhelan
Zealot
johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Cybook Gen 3, Google Nexus7
Is there a way to rate authors?

Sort of number of books rated five* but down rated per single *.

Total number of stars divide by the number of books that have any stars.

Does that make sense?

An author with four 4 star ratings would rate higher than one with two 5 star ratings and two one star ratings.

Thanks John
johnwhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:27 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There is no author rating in the standard version. The current beta version has User Defined Columns and I assume you could use this to do what you want although I am not sure. I would guess it is not long now until the Beta facilities make it into the main release.

Edit: Actually on reading what you want I am not sure. It sound as if you want some automated calculation across all books by an author?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 06:04 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I know what you're getting at, John, so please don't think I'm being flip, but I reckon there's only one meaningful and accurate way to rate an author ... and that's personally. Relying on shiny gold stars given by readers you don't know and who may have wildly different tastes and values can be misleading. Thanks for a thought-provoking OP. Here's karma to ya. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
There is no author rating in the standard version. The current beta version has User Defined Columns and I assume you could use this to do what you want although I am not sure. I would guess it is not long now until the Beta facilities make it into the main release.

Edit: Actually on reading what you want I am not sure. It sound as if you want some automated calculation across all books by an author?
Even putting aside the calculation, a user-defined column won't solve the problem. They are attached to books. The OP wants something attached to authors, something that (I imagine) shows a list of authors and their ratings. For example, the list of authors in the tags browser could show the author's rating in that list along with the count (it doesn't, and I am not volunteering to implement it).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
I know what you're getting at, John, so please don't think I'm being flip, but I reckon there's only one meaningful and accurate way to rate an author ... and that's personally. Relying on shiny gold stars given by readers you don't know and who may have wildly different tastes and values can be misleading. Thanks for a thought-provoking OP. Here's karma to ya. Best wishes. Neil
As we've clearly seen here on MR, what some really like, others don't like. So it may not be an accurate rating based on your taste.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well, if you've rated your books yourself, it may be useful to calculate an "average rating" for the authors of rated books.

As a matter of fact you could do it for any piece of metadata in the tag browser, not just authors and have a Sort by average rating in addition to sort by popularity in the tag browser.

It's an interesting idea. I'm too busy right now, but if chaley doesn't want to do it, I'll put it on my TODO list.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As a matter of fact you could do it for any piece of metadata in the tag browser, not just authors and have a Sort by average rating in addition to sort by popularity in the tag browser.
Are you thinking of showing the average in another bracketed box, like the count? Would require changing the tag_browser_ views to compute the average, which will have a performance impact.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Are you thinking of showing the average in another bracketed box, like the count? Would require changing the tag_browser_ views to compute the average, which will have a performance impact.
Not sure, will have to think about it a little. Definitely post 0.7 in any case.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #9
johnwhelan
Zealot
johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Cybook Gen 3, Google Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Well, if you've rated your books yourself, it may be useful to calculate an "average rating" for the authors of rated books.
That's exactly what I'm after. One day will do fine.

Thanks John
johnwhelan is offline   Reply With Quote