Notices

Old 06-08-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
saitekx36
saitekx36 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Going Nuts with Calibre

Good day

I wonder if anybody could help me.

I have a 2000+ library running with last version of Calibre 0.5.14 on OSX Leopard.

Since a few weeks ( dont know if because uptade ) the program keeps "hanging" for a while everytime I even try to click on a book, and keeps doing it cyclic ........ Umbrella turning ....... click again ...... Umbrella turning again.

database corrupt ?? How can I correct the problem ??
Any other Thought ??

Thsks in advance for your help.
saitekx36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Strange, never heard of this problem before. Is your library located on your local hard disk or ona network drive?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 02:56 AM   #3
saitekx36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Strange, never heard of this problem before. Is your library located on your local hard disk or ona network drive?
Its located on local disk .

Could I do something more ??

Really nuts !!

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:09 AM   #4
saitekx36

More data

Attached Activity monitor capture, open files+ports plus process sampling while hung ......

Hope this could help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagen 1.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	30502  
Attached Files
File Type: txt Open files and ports.txt (11.8 KB, 257 views)
File Type: txt Process sample.txt (141.8 KB, 459 views)
Old 06-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The only thing I notice is that the Virtual memory requirement for Calibre seems insanely high. Not quite sure what this means though I guess it could be something to do with the fact that your are running on OS/X?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
saitekx36

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The only thing I notice is that the Virtual memory requirement for Calibre seems insanely high. Not quite sure what this means though I guess it could be something to do with the fact that your are running on OS/X?
I dont think it could be because OSX. It was working flawlessly for months, until this problem arised ......

Anyway, thanks a lot for your comment.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm did you recently install new software, fonts on your machine?
Old 06-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
saitekx36

Quote:
Hmm did you recently install new software, fonts on your machine?
Im afraid ...... no

Sorry to give you this trouble, but still the same problem.

Could a library rebuild, or a fresh install cure the problem ??

Thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Try renaming your library folder so calibre starts with a fresh library and see if the problem goes away.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
saitekx36

Quote:
Try renaming your library folder so calibre starts with a fresh library and see if the problem goes away.
Just rename the existing library without giving Calibre an alternate library path ??
Old 06-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
saitekx36

Did it, and it works like a charm !!! ..... Should I copy the old library over ?? excepting metedata file ??

Thanks !!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah calibre will ask you for a new path, or it will automatically create a blank library at the old path (I forget which)
Old 06-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I would suggest you do the following. Move the old library back to the old location with the metadata.db file. then in a terminal run

calibredb export --all --to-dir /some/empty/directory

Then delete your old library. Start with a new library and click the arrow next to the add books button, use add books from sub-directories (one per folder) and calibre should recreate your old library with no loss of information
Old 06-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #14
saitekx36

AGAIN !!

Sorry ... , but it happened again.

I did wht you suggested, and the program crashed (look at attachment) inmediately when the copy started.

So I started copying the e-books one by one to the new and when the number of books copied reached the aprox quantity of 600 ....... Its starting again. The hangout period is noticeably shorter, but its there again .....

So, it should be related to library database volume, I think.

Again going nuts !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crash.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	30539  
Old 06-10-2009, 01:03 AM   #15
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have over 5000 books in my Calibre database, and I have read of others with 20000 or more, so I do not thjink the number is the problem. It seems much more likely that you have some specific book(s) causing you a problem in some way.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote