Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-12-2022, 07:21 PM   #1
Seth H
Enthusiast
Seth H began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
database disk image malformed

When trying to send books to my Kobo I get the following error.

calibre, version 6.3.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 88, in run
File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 540, in _books
File "calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1924, in books
File "calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 3056, in get_bookshelflist
apsw.CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

Calibre recognises the Kobo but will not communicate. Any help would be much appreciated.

Since posting this I have found a post from 2015 that recommended signing out and in on the Kobo account. I have done this and the issue has been fixed.

Last edited by Seth H; 08-12-2022 at 07:45 PM. Reason: issue fixed
Seth H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:20 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Unless you have a recent backup of the database, that is the best solution. The only other is to do a factory reset. Unfortunately, there are a few things that can corrupt the database. About the only one that is in our control is to make sure the device is safely ejected after connecting to a computer.

And, again unfortunately, you didn't have to go back to 2015 for that advice. The question is posted most months here and the Kobo forum.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2024, 01:49 PM   #3
smiley1081
smiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Unless you have a recent backup of the database, that is the best solution. The only other is to do a factory reset. Unfortunately, there are a few things that can corrupt the database. About the only one that is in our control is to make sure the device is safely ejected after connecting to a computer.
OK, I have to ask.

How does one backup the database?

And how does one RESTORE the database?

One tries to safely eject the Kobo, but it and the computer are not always forthcoming...

Please feel free to point me out to another thread...
smiley1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 02:00 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Unfortunately, since @davidfor passed away last August, he will not be answering your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley1081 View Post
OK, I have to ask.

How does one backup the database?
You use the KoboUtilities plugin to backup the database. The configuration is on the second tab of the plugin configuration dialog.

Quote:
And how does one RESTORE the database?
You connect your Kobo to your computer. Browse to the directory on your computer where the database backups are stored (the default naming convention gives a filename such as KoboReader-KoboClaraHD-N24985011111-20240229-095905.zip), open the latest database backup file and copy the two .sqlite files to the .kobo directory on your Kobo. Safely eject and then restart (the restart is likely unnecessary but it's what I do).

Quote:
One tries to safely eject the Kobo, but it and the computer are not always forthcoming...

Please feel free to point me out to another thread...
I reboot my Kobo before each connection. I was getting database errors and what I found when I looked at the .kobo directory was that either one or both of the database files had matching .sqlite-wal and .sqlite-shm files present which says the database was not properly closed (wal=write ahead logging and shm is shared memory).

Between the reboot before connecting and safely ejecting before disconnecting, I have not seen any database issues in the last 5 months with 4.38.21908 on my Sage which is my go to ereader.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 01:04 PM   #5
smiley1081
smiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watchsmiley1081 is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thanks!

Given the times one gets the "database disk image malformed" error this answer should probably be pinned.
smiley1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2024, 02:05 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks!

Given the times one gets the "database disk image malformed" error this answer should probably be pinned.
It should be rare.
Always connect WITH the HOME screen showing (never with a book open)
Always EJECT
WAIT before doing anything else with the device. It may not be instant before SAFE to eject
Then WAIT for the device to finish processing (happens when adding), again. It takes time for the Eject to be recognized, then the check for new to complete.
FINALLY, you can pull the plug

FWIW other than some bad Kobo FW, I have had this happen 1 time between my Aura2 and my Libra2. Both get LOTS of use.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote