Old 11-16-2022, 03:17 PM   #16
taoofpu2
Enthusiast
taoofpu2 is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad mini 4, iPad 3
Highlights and annotations not working iOS 16.1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpjgpm View Post
I'm on the beta and I have found one problem. When I highlight a word to lookup, it shows the definition but then it freezes on iPad. Seems to work ok on iPhone
I am on 16.1.1 and see the same freezing. Also cannot highlight or annotate. I need this for doing research and may have to find an alternative
taoofpu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 10:13 AM   #17
MJV
Nyxing BookReader
MJV began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Aura One, iPad 3,
Quote:
Originally Posted by taoofpu2 View Post
I am on 16.1.1 and see the same freezing. Also cannot highlight or annotate. I need this for doing research and may have to find an alternative
Yeah. I had to find an alternative myself since many of the features I need (highlight, customised commands) stopped working on Marvin 3. I'm currently using MapleRead and quite enjoying it.
MJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2022, 11:37 AM   #18
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
To be clear:
The highlight and customized commands still work on Marvin. Apple made a change to their “long press” or “hard press” functionality to put their own options in a sub menu. Marvin already had that submenu filled out with the highlighting, annotating, deep dive, etc. so Marvin’s options got shoved to the side… they are still there, you just have to scroll a bit. The other problem is that Marvin had a dark background with light lettering for the submenu, while apple forced a light background with dark lettering… that makes it hard to see Marvin’s options

If anyone can figure out how to change the submenu colors and/or turn off apples forced submenu that would be good info to have here.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:33 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
To be clear:
The highlight and customized commands still work on Marvin. Apple made a change to their “long press” or “hard press” functionality to put their own options in a sub menu. Marvin already had that submenu filled out with the highlighting, annotating, deep dive, etc. so Marvin’s options got shoved to the side… they are still there, you just have to scroll a bit. The other problem is that Marvin had a dark background with light lettering for the submenu, while apple forced a light background with dark lettering… that makes it hard to see Marvin’s options

If anyone can figure out how to change the submenu colors and/or turn off apples forced submenu that would be good info to have here.
When you do highlight, the highlighting is larger then one line so it overwrites part of the line above. So really, highlighting is useless.

Oh, and there is no way to undo something highlighted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 02:57 PM   #20
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you do highlight, the highlighting is larger then one line so it overwrites part of the line above. So really, highlighting is useless.

Jon, that really had nothing to do with my post....

- highlighting doesn't change the line above and/or below...just think about how it is supposed to know what that would be with a reflowable book??? The highlighting does cover slightly more than the line-height so you can see the highlighting all around the selection, but it doesn't change any other portion of the book.

- You can undo a highlighting by selecting the exact same text that is already highlighted and highlight it again.
Advert
Old 11-19-2022, 04:01 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Jon, that really had nothing to do with my post....

- highlighting doesn't change the line above and/or below...just think about how it is supposed to know what that would be with a reflowable book??? The highlighting does cover slightly more than the line-height so you can see the highlighting all around the selection, but it doesn't change any other portion of the book.

- You can undo a highlighting by selecting the exact same text that is already highlighted and highlight it again.
I've tried highlighting again and it didn't remove the highlight.

The yellow to show a highlight is larger then it should be so it sits on top of part of the line above.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:16 PM   #22
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Must be exact and same color
Old 11-20-2022, 12:00 AM   #23
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
For me, highlighting works as usual. But what is really critical are the moved and almost invisible customised commands and the freezes. It doesn't always freeze, but it feels like every fifth time.

If it continues like this, I will slowly but surely say goodbye to Marvin. It hurts my soul, but you can use MapleRead. If MR only adds a inbook picture overview, there's really nothing to stop me.

Since I've only had the books in Marvin that I'm really reading at the moment, I no longer need all the fancy sorting and searching options. I only do all that in Calibre or Calibre Sync.

Last edited by Wiggo; 11-20-2022 at 12:07 AM.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 09:01 AM   #24
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Fortunately I haven't experienced the freezing issue on my 14 pro max with ios 16.1.1
Old 11-29-2022, 10:01 AM   #25
willmize
willmize began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I'm glad that I found somewhere where folks are talking about Marvin3 and iOS 16.
I've got an iPad and the first inkling of trouble was the "I can't highlight anymore" issue.
This is a small PITA, but I am going to have to learn to live with it, especially since I've tried about a half a dozen other readers, including MapleRead, and none of them (that I know of) handle Dropbox library the way that Marvin does, so I guess I'm stuck with Marvin until it literally stops working.
Pretty sad that it was abandoned; do we know why?
willmize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:10 AM   #26
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

No, we don't. Kris stopped emailing me back a couple years ago. I was afraid the big C got him...but I'm not sure.

As for the highlighting...it's still there...see my post #18 above.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:52 PM   #27
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I need to make a correction to my previous correction to JSWolf. I was incorrect when I said to remove a highlight you just re-highlight the same exact text with the same color.

That may have been the previous version of Marvin???

With Marvin 3, all you need to do is tap on the highlighted area, then a submenu pops up where you can choose to change the color or delete it. Unfortunately this submenu has the same issue with light font on a light background… the 3rd box is the trashcan to delete… the first option allows you to write a memo, and the 2nd option allows you to share the highlighted area (the box with an arrow)

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-13-2022, 11:56 PM   #28
gjohn4317
gjohn4317 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air 2 32 gb
iOS 16 ipad - marvin 3 Deep View disappeared!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Love your enthusiasm, but it's never been finished as a product (stopped being developed half-way through, as I see it), and it's been abandonware for years now.

Still the same glaring functionality gaps today, most notably zero annotations syncing.

Yeah, I'm still sticking around with it, because e-books look nicest in Marvin. But in terms of functionality, MapleRead on iOS and Moon+ Reader Pro on Android are way ahead, though far from perfect as well.

I wonder if we ever get to see a professional-grade e-book reader on any platform. (Moon+ Reader claims that it's just that, but it definitely isn't... But, it's getting continually updated at the very least.)
iOS 16 for iPad- Deep View disappeared!? Does anyone know how to fix this? I’m sorry if this is the wrong way to post this question, I’ve never used this before.
gjohn4317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 07:23 AM   #29
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

See my post above...#18

It's still there...just hard to see with the light font on a light background. Tap the right arrow (once) after you get the sub-menu popup. You can see the glasses if you look hard...Then just tap the button.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:42 AM   #30
Datvigi
Datvigi began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone 13Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Love your enthusiasm, but it's never been finished as a product (stopped being developed half-way through, as I see it), and it's been abandonware for years now.

Still the same glaring functionality gaps today, most notably zero annotations syncing.

Yeah, I'm still sticking around with it, because e-books look nicest in Marvin. But in terms of functionality, MapleRead on iOS and Moon+ Reader Pro on Android are way ahead, though far from perfect as well.

I wonder if we ever get to see a professional-grade e-book reader on any platform. (Moon+ Reader claims that it's just that, but it definitely isn't... But, it's getting continually updated at the very least.)
Is there a reason any time anyone says anything positive about Marvin that you appear out of nowhere to shit on it? Do you have alerts set for it? A spy network? What exactly is your issue
Datvigi is offline   Reply With Quote