Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-24-2018, 06:26 AM   #1
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Rant: The fragmentation of public libraries

I love libraries, I grew up always having the maximum books on load.
But they seem to be making themselves increasingly irrelevant when it comes to eBooks.

(This discussion is from the point of view of someone outside the US, where Kindles cannot access OverDrive.)

From the beginning, the process to get a borrowed eBook onto an eInk device has been too complex for the non-computer literate reading, messing around with ADE.

It was a major step forwards when Kobo added OverDrive integration directly to the device. Suddenly an eInk reader could be something I would recommend to a non-computer savvy person who wanted to read library books.

But that was short-lived, as OverDrive seems to be dying, or at least massively shrinking.

Of the two libraries I have access to, one uses cloudLibrary, the other is switching to BorrowBox. Neither is accessible from a device, both are back to ADE.
Then there are other platforms like Hoopla, which aren't accessible on a dedicated reader at all.

It just isn't worth it. I ended up getting my in-laws a Kindle instead, even though it has no chance of ever getting access to library books, because they are never going to jump through the hoops required to transfer books from the library to a computer to the device, so they really aren't losing anything. If both the local public library systems supported OverDrive, I would have bought them a Kobo.

Library usage in England breaks down as roughly 1/3 less than 45, 1/3 45 to 65, 1/3rd 65+.[1] Those are not demographics that line up with requiring more computer access and savvy to be able to read eBooks. 40% of households with at least one 65+ adult have not used the internet in the last 3 months.[2]

This fragmentation is driving away people who are one of the largest segments of physical library usage.

1: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...rs-in-england/
2: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...dividuals/2018
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:33 AM   #2
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Are you sure this is the libraries? Remember, with physical books you had the right to resell them and do whatever you wanted with them. Licensing for ebooks is much much more complicated.

Libraries, at least in the US have always represented everything I believe is pure and good. They fought the Patriot Act, they regularly fight book banning and censorship. They represent openness and community. As a youth I practically lived in libraries, using the computers and reading books while waiting in line for my next turn. They have been safe havens for everyone to hang out. Home for D&D groups, chess teams, welcoming to children and the homeless. I don't think they would intentionally choose to be anti patron the way you describe, if anything perhaps it is out of their control.

Unless libraries in the UK are different
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2018, 06:49 AM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The libraries get to choose which provider they use.
I assume the other providers are cheaper and/or offer extra functionality (like video lending) that OverDrive doesn't.
I don't think the libraries are intentionally driving patrons away. But that is the impact of the choices they are making.
I think a large part of it is that dedicated readers are seen as the past. As long as the new provider works on phones and tablets, what is the problem?
Edit: Especially as in the UK, libraries have never supported[1] the most popular eInk reader, the Kindle, so how big is the loss in not supporting the other ones?

1: Or Kindle have never supported libraries, depending on your point of view

Last edited by murraypaul; 11-24-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:00 AM   #4
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Definitely bring it up with them and maybe start a local petition to signal how many others care about this issue, because I am betting if you are noticing it then just about everyone else is as well. A friend who used to check out and read tons of books every month finally moved to a dedicated reader a year ago. I agree that this isn't some fad on the way out.

All the major library systems my friends and I use are on OverDrive. That's West Coast USA. It is too bad my library card is no good and I am outside the country
Old 11-24-2018, 07:04 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I think a large part of it is that dedicated readers are seen as the past. As long as the new provider works on phones and tablets, what is the problem?
Bingo. I'm sure this is a large part of it, also, which is most unfortunate for those who prefer eink and even more so for those for whom eink is the only way they can read comfortably.

And then an additional problem becomes that the increasing number of apps required to access borrowed content has become annoying if not problematic in itself (the space the apps take up, especially on older devices with increasingly limited storage).
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #6
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
OK, speaking as an ex-library user based in the UK, I have only ever borrowed physical books or other items from the library. I have never borrowed ebooks from them; partly because I prefer to own what I read which is mostly SF & F, often in series (which means having access to earlier books in the series when the new one comes out). The other reason is that the selection of SF & F has historically not been very good - UK editions, depending on what's available.

The issue is that by and large libraries are funded by the local authority, and aren't one of their statutory functions. As a result, library budgets aren't ring-fenced, and have been heavily squeezed in recent years as local authorities try to protect their statutory budgets. So, libraries now carry out other functions, just to keep going. Also, a lot of branch libraries have closed down - back when I moved to Cambridge in 1990, there was a branch library within walking distance, which was one of the first to be closed in the budget cuts (the site was extremely desirable and was sold off for development). When I moved out of Cambridge 3 years ago, I hadn't used a library for a good 5 years - my then local branch had reduced opening hours incompatible with work, and it wasn't convenient to visit the Central Library. Even where I'm living now, the only time I visited the library was to access something specific on their computers.

In terms of e-books, Cambridgeshire libraries used ADE, and that killed it for me. At the time, the version of ADE in use was flaky with Macs, and frankly I didn't want the hassle. To be honest, the same applies - I still prefer to own what I read, and guarantee access when I decide to read it.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:09 AM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
From the beginning, the process to get a borrowed eBook onto an eInk device has been too complex for the non-computer literate reading, messing around with ADE.
My library has four different ebook providers, they all have their own app, but they also all allow download with ADE. ADE is the solution to the fragmentation, it is much simpler to use ADE for all the library providers (plus most retailers) than to use a different app for each one.

Installing ADE took about two minutes and was just a matter of clicking on the installer and following a few simple instructions. I haven't needed to mess around with it since then except half a minute to re-authorise when I replaced the laptop it was installed on.

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-24-2018 at 11:11 AM. Reason: ... haven't needed to ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #8
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
My library has four different ebook providers, they all have their own app, but they also all allow download with ADE. ADE is the solution to the fragmentation, it is much simpler to use ADE for all the library providers (plus most retailers) than to use a different app for each one.
For someone used to using computers, sure, that is fine.
For someone who isn't, it makes no sense that they can buy a dedicated device to read eBooks on, and the library lends eBooks, but they need to put a PC in the middle to make the whole thing work. Some people are just genuinely afraid of computers, and won't use them.
There is a reason Kindle and Kobo don't make you use a PC to transfer purchased books to the device, they make it as easy as possible.
Requiring the use of a PC each time you want to borrow a book will rule the process out for a chunk of the population, and that chunk is a large proportion of current physical library users. They will end up either not using the library at all, or maybe using it on a phone or tablet.

Last edited by murraypaul; 11-24-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I agree, it's a shame that eBook borrowing is fragmenting. I don't know what the solution is, however. Apparently Overdrive was charging the libraries too much. I can't see any other reason why they would change. Apparently, in the U.S., it's less of a problem as it "seems like" libraries are sticking with Overdrive more here. I don't like monopolies, but it is nice to be able to borrow eBooks without going through ADE on my computer. My Sony T2s and Tolino Page both have ADE built-in. And, of course, in the U.S. it's also easy to borrow from Overdrive via a Kindle. In a couple months I'll be moving to Boise, ID from DFW, Texas — I've already checked to see if the Boise library uses Overdrive. I do a lot of eBook reading via the library here.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:30 PM   #10
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Sorry, this is a bit off topic. When I saw the title of the thread I just had to come here to rant.

My city council (Birmingham, UK) spent a fortune building a now famous, state of the art, library (which admittedly looks like something from a sci fi movie). After spending so much money putting this amazing building into place, the council then made many of the staff redundant and drastically reduced the opening hours.

The old library, though small, at least was well-staffed and was open for decent hours.
Many of the local libraries are suffering from cuts too.

Rant over!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:12 PM   #11
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
Are you sure this is the libraries? Remember, with physical books you had the right to resell them and do whatever you wanted with them. Licensing for ebooks is much much more complicated.

Libraries, at least in the US have always represented everything I believe is pure and good. They fought the Patriot Act, they regularly fight book banning and censorship. They represent openness and community. As a youth I practically lived in libraries, using the computers and reading books while waiting in line for my next turn. They have been safe havens for everyone to hang out. Home for D&D groups, chess teams, welcoming to children and the homeless. I don't think they would intentionally choose to be anti patron the way you describe, if anything perhaps it is out of their control.

Unless libraries in the UK are different
As a former librarian my heart warmed to read your post extolling libraries. Hear hear and huzzah!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:39 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
The old library, though small, at least was well-staffed and was open for decent hours.
Same thing happened to a library I used in the early/mid 90s. Good library. They doubled its size and gained a lot of open space (seemingly not many more books). And then they cut back on hours and staff? Still a good library, but I was left wondering about its priorities.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #13
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
As a former librarian my heart warmed to read your post extolling libraries. Hear hear and huzzah!

Working as a librarian is practically volunteer community service, it involves more than the title entails and is not simply 're-shelving books' and I am fairly certain that is true all over. Maybe not but that is my impression. My favorite high school English teacher also used to be the Head Librarian of a county library system. He let me get away with so much, always empathetic even though I was obviously not the best student in his AP English course. I printed copies of the Anarchist Cookbook, four pages to a sheet as well as other radical zines. Things that wouldn't blow over nowadays. I could not have gotten through school without him. .

Maybe it has nothing to do with the job, and just with the sort of people such an occupation attracts. When I visited the closest branch to my home, located in a small shopping center, the elderly ladies working there recognized me even after leaving home and not visiting for a few years.

I don't know what to say. I can't help it. Thinking about libraries invokes an outpouring of love and appreciation! Librarians and libraries will always be somewhat mythical for me, like the Edificant Library in R.A Salvatore's books ;-]

Last edited by Pizza_Cant_Read; 12-02-2018 at 09:54 PM.