Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-19-2017, 01:37 AM   #1
The Texas Dude
The Texas Dude began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Returning to Full Library from Virtual Library

Learning about Virtual Libraries: Created VL and now can't return to all books. Reselecting Virtual Library button shows same subset of books. Showing "VL as Tabs" gives "All Books" name without showing all books.

Help please.
The Texas Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:01 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Texas Dude View Post
Learning about Virtual Libraries: Created VL and now can't return to all books. Reselecting Virtual Library button shows same subset of books. Showing "VL as Tabs" gives "All Books" name without showing all books.

Help please.
Press Alt+R and select None from the VL button drop down, viz

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	155103

Also tap the Escape key to clear any active Search.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #3
The Texas Dude

Thanks BetterRed, but those didn't work either!
Old 02-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks BetterRed, but those didn't work either!
are you seeing the Red Minus button in BR's image? That means a VL is being shown

Also the Status bar at the bottom of Calibre will only have 2 Values (books, selected), not 3 (books, selected, total)

If you only see 2 values, you did something to make them go bye-bye
Get your backup out and use the find duplicates PI to locate the ones in the backup that ARE NOT in the main
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
The Texas Dude

Theducke - thanks for your analysis.

1. Any advantage to reinstall Calibre to see if some flag gets reset?
2. There is no red minus on the VL drop down menu.
3. There are only two values on the Status Bar: books and selected.
4. Calibre Library seems full size on disk - they're apparently still around. (5226 folders, 92.5gb, 17k books)
5. My backups are directory-level copies of the Calibre application which can replace the data (etc.), but not reset the calibre pgm. (VL shows only 389 books - would be easier to replace everything.)
Advert
Old 02-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Theducke - thanks for your analysis.

1. Any advantage to reinstall Calibre to see if some flag gets reset?
2. There is no red minus on the VL drop down menu.
3. There are only two values on the Status Bar: books and selected.
4. Calibre Library seems full size on disk - they're apparently still around. (5226 folders, 92.5gb, 17k books)
5. My backups are directory-level copies of the Calibre application which can replace the data (etc.), but not reset the calibre pgm. (VL shows only 389 books - would be easier to replace everything.)
The red minus is next to the VL button... BUT
only 2 values (### books, 1 Selected) says you are NOT looking at a VL

BACKUP before doing this, just in case
Try (on Library Icon) Library Maintenance :restore Database (will take a bit of time)
The VL Structures are part of the DB (each Library can have a different set of VL) The metadata_db_prefs_backup file in the library folder allows RESTORATION of DB structure. medatadata.opf in each TITLE folder populates the DB (along with the cover.jpeg)
Old 02-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
The Texas Dude

Oh my, oh my! While backing up I pressed Calibre Library icon and all books came out of hiding!! Seem to be all here.

Wha'd I do wrong, Doctor? Wha'd I do right (besides following your instructions)?

Thanks very much theducks. Very much!

(ps In former life, I used to live and love in MtnView.)
Old 02-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The red minus is only shown when there is an active VL. In my screen shot my 'Current' VL was active at the time. When I select 'None' it goes away. When there is an active VL it's name is shown in the Title bar after the current Library name, when there's no active VL nothing is displayed, viz:

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	155127

There's a tweak for VL's, Highlight the virtual library name when using a Virtual Library. Here's what I have in that tweak:

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	155130

I set it to 'transparent' because the active VL name is displayed in the Title Bar, IMO having it in the search bar adds unnecessary redundant clutter. When you use VL Tabs the name is not displayed in the search bar, which makes the setting of this tweak irrelevant.

There's probably no point in reinstalling calibre, because the data that controls VL's (and most everything else) is stored in the global preferences directory or in the library preferences. The former is accessible by clicking the Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open configuration directory button, the only VL related setting I would expect to find in there is the aforementioned tweak, everything else is in the Library metadata database Preferences table, for example Preferences->Behaviour->Virtual library to apply when the current library is opened:

Quote:
Use this virtual library on calibre startup if the current library is being used. Also applied when switching to this library. Note that this setting is per library.
@The Texas Dude - could you try setting Preferences->Behaviour->Virtual library to apply when the current library is opened: to 'blank', then restart calibre. You should see all your books in the All books VL Tab.

Maybe you could post some relevant screen shots.

Added : we x-posted, seems the problem went away of its own accord. Software that can think for itself -- now that is a scary thought

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-19-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #9
The Texas Dude

Or very sensitive software giving me the answer to make me want to live another day...
Thanks, BR.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

was your device connected? You may have been looking at device view
Old 02-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #11
The Texas Dude

Not certain on device status, but these 389 were not loaded thereon.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
was your device connected? You may have been looking at device view
Quote:
Not certain on device status, but these 389 were not loaded thereon.
London to Brick On that's what it was. My excuse is that I don't connect any devices to calibre

BR