Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 06-30-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
desmondmarie32
desmondmarie32 began at the beginning.

Device: verizone tablet
USB connection question

I'm not very computer/techno smart so please bear with me

can i use just a USB cord to transfer books (using the calibre companion for android based tablet) without having to use WiFi? I ask because I want to be able to transfer books when I am not in a WiFi area.
desmondmarie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:44 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondmarie32 View Post
I'm not very computer/techno smart so please bear with me

can i use just a USB cord to transfer books (using the calibre companion for android based tablet) without having to use WiFi? I ask because I want to be able to transfer books when I am not in a WiFi area.
They are separate (and unfortunately isolated). You can send books via USB, CC just wont know about those, but you can use your reading app to access those.

You are using a Laptop (with WiFi)? All you need to do is change a setting to allow Peer connections (the standard and safer is Infrastructure: AKA Access Point/WiFi router). Remember to disable Peer level connections when not actually in use.

At one time, I believe someone asked about using a Blutooth PAN. I forget the resolution.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2015, 01:44 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I solve the problem by using a WiFi dongle that acts as a WiFi hub. I use this one, but there are many others such as this one that is less expensive (but does less).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
desmondmarie32
desmondmarie32 began at the beginning.

Device: verizone tablet
I want to be able to do some transferring at work, and unfortunately where I work the internet is secure (work in medical field) and no public access.
I want to be able to transfer some of my books to the tablet (verizon android). I have sent books to it using calibre but i'm not able to locate them on the tablet. is it because I may need a reading app to open and locate them (nook, kindle?). this is my first time dealing with an android. I usually use apple products
desmondmarie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
CC only acts as a library for the books, it will try to open them in another reader app. Popular ones are Mantano and Moon+ Reader.

You can transfer books anywhere your laptop is, by creating an ad-hoc network and connecting your tablet to it. See: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-adhoc-network
No need for a router or USB dongle, as long as your computer has a wireless card, and all laptops do.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert