Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-06-2015, 06:12 AM   #1
NugentS
NugentS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Help with Virtual Library

All,
It occurs to me that this ought to be possible, I just don't see how.
I have a moderate sized calibre library with a number of authors in it. When I read a book I have a column called read that I mark as "read" or "unread". If I really don't like the book or the authors style I mark it as "rubbish"

It occurs to me that having a virtual library that contains all books by authors that I have read at least one book from would be a wonderful idea - but I just don't see how...

Any ideas?
NugentS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:59 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You can't do what you want without writing a plugin or some calibre python scripts. The problem: the search interface and the template system can "see" metadata for the book. It cannot ask questions that require knowledge from multiple books. In your case it needs to know that a book has the same author as some other book that you marked as read.

A script or plugin would do two things:
1) Pass over the library generating a list of all authors of read books.
2) Pass over the library again setting a custom column for a book if it has an author in the list.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
So, you should use the same method for on-going series, shouldn't you? Hummmm
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
So, you should use the same method for on-going series, shouldn't you? Hummmm
Yes, exact! I think so! Definitively maybe!

Uhhh ... What do you mean by on-going series? Is it the same problem discussed in this thread?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More or less but not exactly. For me, an on-going series is when I've read some of the books but not all, and I would like to know the next non-read book. With this idea, on summer (when I don't work in the evening and have more time), I think I'll give it a try.
Advert
Old 06-07-2015, 04:09 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you, reading the post I think I can use the script for populating the database the first time, and a plugin to update a specific series for next updates (if I'm able to create a plugin, that's all).