Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #16
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I tried to tally up what I was going to get a few years ago and got tired of it when I hit about $36 from B&N. At any rate, it will be a nice few extra books and I'm looking forward to it actually happening.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #17
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
You should be able to use the credit to buy physical books from Amazon:

Of course, you might not want to buy physical books either. But maybe you will be able to use the credit to buy other products as well.

Mike
I was under the impression that you will only be able to use the credits for ebooks.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #18
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
That is what Amazon's email said. I am hoping that they just put the money into your account as a credit that you can use for anything but it is possible that it will be restricted to e-books.

I think I have around 200 books that will receive a credit, with the lowest rate being $1 that would give me $200 in credit. I know that some of those books are on best seller lists so the total is likely going to be closer to $300 or more. I have not taken the time to go through the list to figure out the Publisher for each book so I am not certain about things but I expect a decent amount of cash.

The original return was not so much that I thought the check option was worth it. The pay out has gone up since then and I am kicking myself for not asking for the check. I want my Breville Tea Maker damn it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #19
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I was under the impression that you will only be able to use the credits for ebooks.
Well, I was quoting from Amazon's email of 31 August 2013, in which they stated that you can apply to the credit to ebooks or print books (my emphasis).

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #20
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
We're supposedly going to get the checks/store credits by next month. According to the Attorneys General and Class E-book Settlements website
Quote:
The court granted approval of the Settlements on December 6, 2013. Though an appeal was filed, it is not expected to delay the upcoming distribution of Settlement funds. The coordination of the distribution is underway and is expected to occur by April of 2014.
Hopefully we will still get checks for books purchased via Sony. Amazon, Apple, B&N, and Kobo will be issuing credits (Kobo's will include Borders) unless you filed to get a check instead of a credit way back when. I think books purchased at other stores were supposed to be checks as well. I also filed for books bought at ARe and direct from Penguin.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #21
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hum, for some reason my earlier post didn't come through.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but doesn't _by_ imply that it will occur before April starts? Either way, I'm not holding off buying books waiting for it.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Well, I was quoting from Amazon's email of 31 August 2013, in which they stated that you can apply to the credit to ebooks or print books (my emphasis).

Mike
Meant to reply before but forgot. I'm sure you are right. I was going by what I remembered something that I had recalled from some time back.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #23
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
What about people that bought from the Sony store?

Where will those credits go since the store closes tomorrow.
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #24
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I heard there was supposed to be a check from Sony anyway. As long as the company still exists we should get them (I hope?)
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #25
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I heard there was supposed to be a check from Sony anyway. As long as the company still exists we should get them (I hope?)
I went onto the site where we had to fill in the claim forms and sent an email asking about the Sony to Kobo transfer and the settlement. This was the answer I received:

"The transfer of your account will not impact this distribution or your award. Sony provided the claims administrator with eligible customer e-book purchase information to calculate awards for these settlements. Postcard checks will be sent to eligible Sony customers once the distribution occurs. "

So, I don't think there will be any problem.
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #26
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Received today:
Quote:
eBooks Antitrust Settlement Information

Dear xxxx,

Good news! You are entitled to a credit of $xxxx for some of your past Kindle book purchases. The credit results from legal settlements reached with publishers Hachette, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, Macmillan, and Penguin in antitrust lawsuits filed by State Attorneys General and Class Plaintiffs about the price of eBooks.

You don't have to do anything to claim your credit, we have already added your credit to your Amazon account. We will automatically apply your available credit to your next purchase of a Kindle book or print book sold by Amazon.com, regardless of publisher. The credit applied to your purchase will appear in your order summary. If your account does not reflect this credit, please contact Amazon's customer service.

For more information about the settlements, please visit www.amazon.com/ebooksettlements

Your credit is valid for one year and will expire after 03/31/2015. If you have not used your credit, we will send you another email 90 days before it expires to remind you that it is still available.

Thanks for being a Kindle customer.

The Amazon Kindle Team

Settlement ID:
xxxx
ETA: $28.47 for me

Last edited by jhowell; 03-25-2014 at 11:33 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #27
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I just got a notice from Amazon that I have been credited $1.46 under the settlement.
????!!!!!

I was pretty sure I hadn't bought any Agency titles at all!!!
(Sigh)
Looks like one slipped through my boycott.

Oh, well; I'm still not buying BPH titles so the money will go to an indie title.
The amount will be automatically be applied to my next book purchase: print or Kindle. So the credit applies to books only.

Last edited by fjtorres; 03-25-2014 at 07:57 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #28
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I just got an email as well

I'll make a list then just pop over to the US long enough to buy the books and pop back
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #29
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I only got $56. I want to know how they figured this out because I was figuring closer to $200.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yay! I've been credited.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote