Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
camperbc
Enthusiast
camperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five words

Device: PRS-T1
Pleading for assistance!

OK, major problem here after a month and a half of rooted bliss. I have been using my minimal root T1 for ages without so much as a hiccup. Tonight I was adding a couple of apps from the market; everything was going well, as usual, but then all of a sudden it freezes right up on me; says "The application Google Services Framework has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." Then it says "The application Gmail has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

When I hit the "force close" button nothing happens. When I hit the reader's reset switch nothing happens for quite a while, then it restarts, and goes right back to the error messages again. When I connect it to my computer nothing happens. The reader's power button doesn't do anything. There is no way to shut the reader off and keep it off; it keeps trying to start.

I am not at all good at this geeky stuff, and am starting to freak out a little, as I just want my beloved reader back! I honestly don't know where to even start, other than to plead with you to help me get things back to normal. I would be SO appreciative if someone could give me some step by step (baby steps!) instructions regarding what I must do to fix this thing. Please... how do I go about resetting this thing right back to square one?

I humbly and anxiously await your reply.

Best regards,
Glen
camperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Are you able to connect to the reader via adb?

If yes - give fix_permissions.sh a try: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...le_Permissions

If not: install adb first: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...ng_ADB_to_work
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
camperbc
Enthusiast
camperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five words

Hi Uboot,

Unfortunately I am unable to attempt your fix until I find a way to get past the two warnings, as the reader won't allow me to do anything else. As I mentioned, when I hit the "force close" button nothing happens; the warnings stay there, which prevents any further action on my part.

Since I started to write this message, I have managed, through some insane series of quick button pushes/repeatedly hitting "force close, I have managed to turn the wifi off, which has stopped the two warnings from popping up. So I am now able to access my books as before. But I know that as soon as I am to turn the wifi back on, the error messages will return. Would I be able to simply just redo the whole root install procedure again from square one, or am I way off base? (I warned that I was inept at this sort of thing!) Or do I attempt a complete recovery using the sd card? or??

Thanks so much for offering your assistance; I appreciate it more that you can imagine.

Glen
Old 02-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
multiprose
Connoisseur
multiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
Hi Uboot,

Unfortunately I am unable to attempt your fix until I find a way to get past the two warnings, as the reader won't allow me to do anything else. As I mentioned, when I hit the "force close" button nothing happens; the warnings stay there, which prevents any further action on my part.

Since I started to write this message, I have managed, through some insane series of quick button pushes/repeatedly hitting "force close, I have managed to turn the wifi off, which has stopped the two warnings from popping up. So I am now able to access my books as before. But I know that as soon as I am to turn the wifi back on, the error messages will return. Would I be able to simply just redo the whole root install procedure again from square one, or am I way off base? (I warned that I was inept at this sort of thing!) Or do I attempt a complete recovery using the sd card? or??

Thanks so much for offering your assistance; I appreciate it more that you can imagine.

Glen
you need to do a complete sd card recovery. go dl the rescue zip. then you will have to reroot it and reinstall apps etc. again.
multiprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
camperbc
Enthusiast

I want to take a moment to thank both of you for offering your assistance; much appreciated indeed! I have good news to report. I used the rescue set to "un-root" the device, then re-rooted, and got everything right back ship-shape again... smooth as silk! I still don't know what caused it to suddenly act up; hopefully it won't repeat itself. What a learning experience this ereader has been. I am actually beginning to get to know my way around it now! Anyway, many thanks again!

Glen
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Congrats!

Just a note: you can _always_ access the device via adb, no matter if there are any force-closed popups.

SD-Recovery will restore data partition, so installed apps and their settings will be lost.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
camperbc
Enthusiast

Thanks Uboot. I've just discovered that I am not quite out of the woods yet. Everything is working fine... except... I cannot shut off the device! Every time I try to shut down completely, it just hangs with the rotating arrows spinning forever. Hitting the reset button doesn't do a thing, nor anything else, like the on/off button, or any other buttons. So I've just been letting it go into standby mode when I'm done using it. But it sure is bugging me as to why, after the rescue set, it decides it doesn't want to shut down! Any suggestions anyone?

Thank-you so much.

Glen
Old 02-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
PaulPosition
Enthusiast
PaulPosition began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Does it first asks you if you really want to shut it down? If it doesn't, then it would seem like it's searching for some 'closing' app that just might not be there... (??)
PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
camperbc
Enthusiast

Hi Paul,

Yes, it asks me if I want to shut it down, then the arrows just continue to spin forever.

Now some more bad news... I have discovered a whole new problem; this one more sinister. When I went to bed last night the ereader had a full charge. I discovered this morning that it was down to just 15%! A minute later it was at 10%, with a low battery warning. (the reader had been in sleep mode with the wifi turned off)

To re-cap, I used the rescue set yesterday to fix my crash, then I re-installed the minimal root, the Android Market and EBookHome as before, but this time updated to the latest Sony firmware. I wonder if the latest update is the culprit, or is something else at play here?

I have been reading up on the battery recalibration technique; involving using root explorer to delete "/data/system/batterystats.bin" . The trouble is that for some reason I get a message stating that "Your phone doesn't appear to be rooted". What's up with that? How can I remove the "/data/system/batterystats.bin" if I can't access it?

I have just charged the ereader back up to 100% and unplugged from the charger. But I just KNOW it is going to drop to zero in just a few short hours. Should I attempt to start all over again, as in another rescue set/re-root? Is it possible to go back to the earlier firmware update without starting over again? If I have to start from scratch again, should I go back to using the first firmware update (as before) as opposed to the second one?

As usual, I REALLY, REALLY appreciate any help I can get, to see that my beloved ereader is back to normal again.

Thank-you!

Glen

Last edited by camperbc; 02-20-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
camperbc
Enthusiast

*UPDATE*
I decided to start from scratch. I performed the SD card rescue, but still could not shut the ereader down. Then I decided to try the hard reset, which indeed got everything right back to square one. Now we are getting somewhere! A fresh slate. Except... I STILL cannot shut down the device! So, with the ereader right back to the factory settings, why on earth can I not get this thing to shut down? And what can I possibly do at this point to shut it down?

Is it actually possible to just NEVER shut it down? (and always use sleep mode?) Short of returning it to the store, are there ANY other options?

Thanks,
Glen

Last edited by camperbc; 02-20-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
There is a menu option to shut it down.
And yes they should be shut down periodically I believe although others say different.
Many devices get a bit sluggish/odd if not shut down/rebooted for a long period.

But... With the difficulties you are having, returning/exchanging it might be the best option.

Probably not going to fix, but clean screen/switch thoroughly.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
camperbc
Enthusiast

Hi Helen,

I have tried using the menu shutdown, as well as the button itself, to no avail; it just refuses to shut off. Really odd, in that everything else is working perfectly; even the super-fast battery drain issue resolved itself as soon as I un-rooted. I am hoping that someone will chime in here with a suggestion for just how to stop this thing.
Thanks,
Glen
Old 02-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Ok. Well the hard reset is effectively a shutdown as is the regular reset for most purposes. Even if device starts up again as long as it says opening book, it has been shut down and restarted.

I am Canadian and had to look up Fogo Island and looks like it may not be easy to return to store or exchange? Still think is best option but understand difficulties of remote locations

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #14
camperbc
Enthusiast

Hi Helen,

Yes, Fogo Island is certainly remote, about a one hour ferry ride off the northeast coast of Newfoundland, but it is a very beautiful and unique part of the world. (no crime, pollution, noise, or traffic!) It has for a long time been Canada's best kept secret, but of late has become a world destination for tourists. I'm a photographer, and never tire of exploring our little island with camera gear in tow. You can see what it is like here by clicking on my photography website link in my profile, under "contact info". (many, if not most, of the photos were taken either right in front of our seaside home, or a very short walking distance from it)

I am still hoping that someone will come along and offer a remedy to this issue of the ereader not shutting down. Short of that, I need to either get used to the idea of always using sleep mode, or returning it to the store.

Thanks,
Glen
Old 02-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
multiprose
Connoisseur
multiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheesemultiprose can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
Hi Helen,

Yes, Fogo Island is certainly remote, about a one hour ferry ride off the northeast coast of Newfoundland, but it is a very beautiful and unique part of the world. (no crime, pollution, noise, or traffic!) It has for a long time been Canada's best kept secret, but of late has become a world destination for tourists. I'm a photographer, and never tire of exploring our little island with camera gear in tow. You can see what it is like here by clicking on my photography website link in my profile, under "contact info". (many, if not most, of the photos were taken either right in front of our seaside home, or a very short walking distance from it)

I am still hoping that someone will come along and offer a remedy to this issue of the ereader not shutting down. Short of that, I need to either get used to the idea of always using sleep mode, or returning it to the store.

Thanks,
Glen
glad you are learning all this complex stuff. it definitely takes effort and motivation.

i think the problem you are having may be due to the reader being confused about usb data transfer, charging, debugging etc. etc. with all the flashing, turning off and on, resetting you've been doing.

first thing you need is an outlet to charge your reader but not through the connection to pc.
1] plug in the reader
2] press + hold power and reset button for 5 secs
3] let it charge until you don't see the red charging light anymore
4] unplug reader, do sd-card rescue but after you let your fingers go from waiting till the bar gets full, plug in the reader to the outlet immediately
5] wait until the bar is empty for at least 15 minutes
6] turn your reader on

check if this solves your shutdown problem and let me know

if this solves the shut down problem then turn your reader off and charge it until you don't see the red light through the above method. after battery is full, flash the reader. shut down the reader, and charge it again (with the reader off and connected to the outlet) until you see no red light. then turn it on.

through this, you shouldn't have to worry about battery issues.
multiprose is offline   Reply With Quote