Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
BzKevin
BzKevin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
Custom COlumn: Author Sort - Series

I am attempting to creat a custom column (which will eventually be used by Kindle Collections to generate Collections on my Kindle3)

For the purposes of this post I will use Shadowmarch by Tad Williams (Author sort: Williams, Tad) (Series: Shadowmarch[1]) as my demonstration book.

I have created a custom column with the template: {author_sort}{series:| - |}

I would have expected the result to be: Williams, Tad - Shadowmarch
However, the actual result is actually: Tad - Shadowmarch, Williams

Can anyone please enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong in my template or if this is some type of bug? If so is there a work around?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Kev
BzKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Your custom column has the type "comma separated text, like tags". That makes the comma special, separating things like "Williams, Tad" into two different values. It should have "Text, column shown in the tag browser".
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
BzKevin

Continued

I have done some further experimental research and discovered the following:

a. the template: ({author_sort}){series: | - |} gives the expected result of: (Williams, Tad) - Shadowmarch

b. Using the same template as above, things start to get weird again if there is a comma in the series name. Such as Memory, Sorrow & Thorn. Which results in: (Williams, Sorrow & Thorn, Tad) - Memory

This experimenting leads me to believe there is some kind of bug in the formatting of author_sort. If anyone has found a work around or knows that this is not a bug, but in fact human error I would greatly appreciate your help!

I will continue to explore and post any results of interest to this thread.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzKevin View Post
I have done some further experimental research and discovered the following:

a. the template: ({author_sort}){series: | - |} gives the expected result of: (Williams, Tad) - Shadowmarch

b. Using the same template as above, things start to get weird again if there is a comma in the series name. Such as Memory, Sorrow & Thorn. Which results in: (Williams, Sorrow & Thorn, Tad) - Memory

This experimenting leads me to believe there is some kind of bug in the formatting of author_sort. If anyone has found a work around or knows that this is not a bug, but in fact human error I would greatly appreciate your help!

I will continue to explore and post any results of interest to this thread.

Thanks
Look at the ost above yours. You guys cross replied.

It is a WAD for the way you are using
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
BzKevin

@chaley - Thanks for the reply. I created a new custom column of type: "Column created from other columns" and used the same template in the original post. This solved my problem as my original column was of type "Column created from other columns, like tags" (or something of that nature, don't have access to Calibre at the moment to look at the exact wording).

Thanks very much for your help!

Tags
author sort, calibre, custom columns, series