Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2017, 09:21 AM   #421
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrabi View Post
Does goodreads have character descriptions like shelfari used to have?

All I could find is character names which is not that helpful.
Yeah, it's really the most annoying part of the whole process now. Goodreads has character info for some books but not all and I'm not sure what their process is for actually getting information added. The Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones) has an extensive list of characters with information for each one, for example.
That's why the term builder exists now, so you can grab descriptions from elsewhere and use those instead, but it kind of defeats the purpose of it all.
Ephemerality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:18 PM   #422
akrabi
akrabi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Found something interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
Yeah, it's really the most annoying part of the whole process now. Goodreads has character info for some books but not all and I'm not sure what their process is for actually getting information added. The Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones) has an extensive list of characters with information for each one, for example.
That's why the term builder exists now, so you can grab descriptions from elsewhere and use those instead, but it kind of defeats the purpose of it all.
I kept on digging and found that you can use an archived version of shelfari.
The search is not really working so it's kind of a challenge to navigate to your book of choice.
But I managed to find what I wanted using tag filtering.
Now I need to try and get the old code for Shelfari back and try it out.
akrabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #423
akrabi
akrabi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Using Shelfari archive works

Quote:
I kept on digging and found that you can use an archived version of shelfari.
The search is not really working so it's kind of a challenge to navigate to your book of choice.
But I managed to find what I wanted using tag filtering.
Now I need to try and get the old code for Shelfari back and try it out.
So I tried to see if it would work.
I checked out an old version where Shelfari was still a source and built it.
I enter the archive url for the Shelfari url and was able to export the terms into an XML.
Then I checked out master, built and used the XML instead of Goodreads.
Worked just fine.
akrabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:31 PM   #424
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So I tried to see if it would work.
I checked out an old version where Shelfari was still a source and built it.
I enter the archive url for the Shelfari url and was able to export the terms into an XML.
Then I checked out master, built and used the XML instead of Goodreads.
Worked just fine.
Nice, I hadn't thought of using archive.org. The downside is that you can't add or modify any of the data for others to use, but better than nothing.
I'll add the Shelfari setting back in so people can use the archive links. How did you go about finding the book you were after?

Edit: I've added it back in and uploaded 2.0.23b to the first post to try out. The Shelfari setting will have to be switched on in settings. I didn't test it very much but a couple tries seemed to work ok.

Last edited by Ephemerality; 10-31-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:36 PM   #425
HopScotch
HopScotch began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi Ephemerality,
I downloaded "xray-builder-gui-v2.0.23b.zip" but I get the following error when I try to run a search on GoodReads (using the button that has the magnifying glass on it)

Quote:
An error occurred while searching: Could not load file or assembly 'HtmlAgilityPack, Version=1.6.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=bd319b19eaf3b43a' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)
at XRayBuilderGUI.DataSources.Goodreads.<SearchBook>d __7.MoveNext()

I checked the version of HtmlAgilityPack and it's 1.4.9.5, (not the 1.6.2.0 that it says it requires), so I went online and found 1.6.2.0 and ran it with that and it worked! Buuuut then when I hit the checkbox I get the error

Quote:
Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Data.SQLite, Version=1.0.105.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=db937bc2d44ff139' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)
File name: 'System.Data.SQLite, Version=1.0.105.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=db937bc2d44ff139'
at XRayBuilderGUI.frmMain.<btnBuild_Run>d__22.MoveNex t()
... I see the version of "System.Data.SQLite.dll" X-Ray builder has in its main folder is 2.023.0 (not the 1.0.105.2 that the program says it's looking for).

... So why does my version of X-Ray Builder that I downloaded today have the wrong files, and is there a workaround or maybe a quick fix on your end?

Last edited by HopScotch; 11-04-2017 at 10:38 PM.
HopScotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:28 PM   #426
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopScotch View Post
... So why does my version of X-Ray Builder that I downloaded today have the wrong files, and is there a workaround or maybe a quick fix on your end?
Sorry about that, they were updated recently and I forgot to put the new ones in the zip when I uploaded it. I've uploaded a new zip that should have the right ones. Make sure to unzip the new EXE & PDB as well as the DLLs.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:10 AM   #427
HopScotch

Hi Ephem! awesome getting back to me so fast and thanks for the fix.

Got past the earlier errors, but now I get the error:

Quote:
System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'SQLite.Interop.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
at System.Data.SQLite.UnsafeNativeMethods.sqlite3_con fig_none(SQLiteConfigOpsEnum op)
Old 11-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #428
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopScotch View Post
Hi Ephem! awesome getting back to me so fast and thanks for the fix.

Got past the earlier errors, but now I get the error:
Bah, I didn't realize that was a requirement now. Another new zip available on the first post, this time the only change is the addition of the "x86" and "x64" folders that should be extracted. They have the 32 and 64 bit versions of the dll for it to load as needed.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #429
HopScotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
Bah, I didn't realize that was a requirement now. Another new zip available on the first post, this time the only change is the addition of the "x86" and "x64" folders that should be extracted. They have the 32 and 64 bit versions of the dll for it to load as needed.
Woo! Everything woks now. Thanks Ephem
Old 01-18-2018, 07:43 PM   #430
Darkuul
Darkuul began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2013
iOS

So I managed to make this work on my Kindle Paperwhite today. And it got me thinking about the iOS app. Tried just copying these files usin this structure from a purchased amazon book, but no luck. Any clues? :P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	334
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	161662  
Darkuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #431
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkuul View Post
So I managed to make this work on my Kindle Paperwhite today. And it got me thinking about the iOS app. Tried just copying these files usin this structure from a purchased amazon book, but no luck. Any clues? :P
As mentioned in the first post, there's a different process for the Android version, so it probably takes different files than usual. If you enable the Android option in settings, it might like those files instead of the regular Kindle ones. If the newest version of the app still works on my old iPhone 4 I could try it when I get a chance.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #432
Darkuul

Cool thanks for the feedback, I'll report back if i get something useful.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #433
Darkuul

I revised my screenshot and noticed that the iOS app uses the ASC fies, not the android DB version. I noticed another curious thing, that seems to pose another problem for this to work. The same .mobi file I used on my Paperwhite, which has the EBOK tag, shows up as a personal doc on the iOS app. I added it manually through a file manager.

( sorry for the double post, I forgot I'd posted last )
Old 01-21-2018, 09:08 PM   #434
Ephemerality
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkuul View Post
I revised my screenshot and noticed that the iOS app uses the ASC fies, not the android DB version. I noticed another curious thing, that seems to pose another problem for this to work. The same .mobi file I used on my Paperwhite, which has the EBOK tag, shows up as a personal doc on the iOS app. I added it manually through a file manager.

( sorry for the double post, I forgot I'd posted last )
Yeah I didn't have much luck either. My .mobi that I copied over didn't show up as a personal doc in my version, but I still couldn't figure out what the app was looking for. I also only have an iPhone 4 so it wouldn't give me the latest version.
If you figure out more, let me know!
Old 05-28-2018, 06:53 PM   #435
Taubin
Barely a reader
Taubin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2e
Attempting to pull data for one of the books in my library, and I'm receiving the following stating to report it on this thread

Hopefully this is the correct place to report this, if not, please let me know. Cheers.

Code:
Database Name: The_Strange_Case_of_the_Alchemi
UniqueID: 1975673526
Book found on Goodreads!
The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter by Theodora Goss
Goodreads URL: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34728925
You may want to visit the URL to ensure it is correct.
Extracting metadata...
Got metadata!
Book's Goodreads URL: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34728925
Attempting to build Author Profile...
Searching for author's page on Amazon.com...
Unable to parse author's page URL properly. Try again later or report this URL on the MobileRead thread: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Theodora+Goss
Failed to find Theodora Goss on Amazon.com
Extracting metadata...
Got metadata!
Book's Goodreads URL: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34728925
Attempting to build X-Ray...
Offset: -16 (AZW3)
Downloading Goodreads page...
Downloading notable clips...
Build canceled or error while processing.
Error: No terms found on Goodreads.
Taubin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
x-ray