Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
colleenFL
Groupie
colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.

Device: PW3, PW1, Kobo N647, Sony PRS-600, Sony PRS-300, various tablets
Nuvomedia Rocket eBook and Win7

Last week I got my old Nuvomedia Rocket eBook set up on my Compaq notebook computer running Windows 7. The Rocket eBook was my first dedicated ebook reader and it is still working well. I had to buy a USB to serial converter to connect it. I've been reading Baen books and public domain books on it.

I'm wondering if anyone else is also still using one of these. Mine still has the original battery in it and seems to be doing fine. These things were really built to last!
colleenFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
I've got 5 readers and 2 docks, including a original box with manual and CD. I have not used any of them in a year or two. I picked up a Literati from Woot.com and that seems to be my default reader these days.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Hartsock
Enthusiast
Hartsock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Very cool that you have it working with Windows 7. I still use mine on occasion. It truly is a well designed and manufactured device. The battery has held up well. I use to get about 22-24 hours from it, now closer to 18. Also own the eBookwise reader and I have had a Sony Reader (PRS-T1) for a month.

Dana
Hartsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
colleenFL
Groupie
colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsock View Post
Very cool that you have it working with Windows 7. I still use mine on occasion. It truly is a well designed and manufactured device. The battery has held up well. I use to get about 22-24 hours from it, now closer to 18. Also own the eBookwise reader and I have had a Sony Reader (PRS-T1) for a month.

Dana
Thanks for the info on the battery life. I'll have to find out how long my battery will last now that I have something to compare it to. My other readers are a REB 1100 that I use occasionally, a Franklin EBM-911 that I haven't used in a long time, and my main reader, a Sony Pocket Reader (PRS-300).

How do you like the T1? I've been thinking about getting one of them. It would be nice to have a reader with wifi.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Hartsock
Enthusiast

I like my Sony PRS-T1 very much. Nothing bad I would make a lot of noise about. Library management on the Reader could be a bit more flexible, and I suppose the OS in general could be a bit more refined.

I am happy I bought it despite my general distaste for e-Ink. I like the Rocket eBook for reading in bed without an external lighting source. I held off for quite a while hoping for a good hybrid screen along the lines of Pixel Qi but there doesn't seem to be much happening there.

Dana
Old 04-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
colleenFL
Groupie

Thanks for the info, Dana. I agree that the rocket ebook is great for reading in bed. It is much nicer not to have a separate light to mess with.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
Hartsock
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleenFL View Post
Thanks for the info, Dana. I agree that the rocket ebook is great for reading in bed. It is much nicer not to have a separate light to mess with.
And of course a new Nook eInk reader with LED edge lighting has been announced. Sony did that years ago... but I think that was before they used IR touch sensing so glare probably was a bit of a problem.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
CCBain
CCBain began at the beginning.

Device: Rocket eBook
I've long since lost the charger for my Rocket eBook. Can someone look at their little charger, or the instructions (dare to dream) and tell me what the output voltage is? Probably 6v, but I want to make sure before heading to Radio Shack.
CCBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
colleenFL
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBain View Post
I've long since lost the charger for my Rocket eBook. Can someone look at their little charger, or the instructions (dare to dream) and tell me what the output voltage is? Probably 6v, but I want to make sure before heading to Radio Shack.
My adapter says 15V, 1.0 A, positive tip.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
If we are talking the original black and white LCD Rocket from NuvoMedia, with the Rocket icon in the upper right, it's the same charger used with the eBookwise 1150.

You want 12 volts at an amp or so with a O.D. 2.35mm. I.D. 0.7mm center positive plug.

I use a Radio Shack catalog number 273-1775 (replaced by catalog number 273-358), 12 volts at 1.5 amps. It used to come with one free AdaptaPlug. The Rocket uses tip "A" with center positive. It's a very expensive ($32) option and if you don't mind poking around the internet a bit you should be ale to find something less costly.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote